Be energy efficient
Before investing in a solar system it's important to be energy efficient so you get the right sized system for your business. Understanding how much electricity your business uses and what it costs will help you build your business case.
Increase your energy efficiency
Taking energy efficiency measures before investing in solar will also help you get the best bill savings once your solar system is installed.
Energy efficiency measures can include:
- LED lighting
- upgrading heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems
- more efficient refrigeration, motors, drives, pumps and control systems
You may find the best financial returns come from a project that includes both energy efficiency and a solar system.
Some solar retailers offer integrated energy efficiency and solar packages
Know your energy use
To be able to calculate the potentail bill savings your need to know your:
- Electricity consumption patterns for a 12 month period
- Energy tariffs: Electricity is generally charged at different rates through out the day. These rates are known as peak, shoulder and off-peak.
- Capacity charges: These are usually incurred by businesses who use over 40 megawatt-hours per year and is generally based on maximum demand for electricity over any half hour period in the past year.
Contact your energy retailer for this information.
What would you like to do next?
Page last updated: 10 December 2015