Application for advice on fire upgrading, access or service issues
The Fire Access and Services Advisory Panel provides advice on ways of achieving acceptable compliance with modern building standards while retaining the heritage significance of places.
If you wish to seek expert advice on these matters, download the application form
(FASAPapplicationform2006.pdf, 14KB), complete and return by post or fax to:
Fire Access and Services Advisory Panel
Heritage Council of NSW
Locked Bag 5020
Parramatta NSW 2124
Fax: (02) 9873 8599
The panel generally meets on the last Wednesday of February, May, August and November each year. The form and all supporting information should be sent to arrive no later than two weeks prior to a meeting.
Preparing your application
You will need to present a properly prepared proposal. Complex issues may require the advice of a skilled consultant with heritage experience. Your proposal will need to clearly state the perceived conflict between your requirements and the heritage significance of the property.
The Heritage Branch website has some information on how to find an appropriate consultant.
Supporting information to your request should include as many of the following as is relevant or possible:
- reason the advice is required;
- drawings of the building and proposed modifications;
- description of the building's construction;
- photographs of the areas to be affected by the proposals;
- details of proposed fire safety, access or services strategies;
- requirements of consent authorities; and
- a statement of heritage significance.
Statement of significance
The statement of significance may be derived from any of the following possible sources:
- conservation management plan;
- State Heritage Inventory listing
- National Trust listing;
- Register of the National Estate listing,
- Local government area heritage studies;
- Royal Australian Institute of Architects Register of 20th Century Buildings of Significance; or
- State Government agency heritage conservation register, (section 170 register) if the property is owned by the NSW government.
Terms of reference
Fire, Access and Services Advisory Panel's Terms of reference
(fasapterms.pdf, 6KB) to find out more about its role.
Page last updated: 01 September 2012