References and bibliography
This on-line exhibition is sponsored by the Heritage Council of New South Wales. The Heritage Council has a role in advising the Premier on certain matters relating to the removal and conservation of Royal Coats of Arms on public buildings and places in NSW, and has an interest in the development of the State's cultural identity as expressed through the art of heraldry and the skills of heraldic artisans.
The support and assistance of the NSW Parliament, State Library of NSW, State Records NSW, NSW Migration Heritage Centre, Sydney Water and Integral Energy is acknowledged, as is the generous contribution of images by the State Library of NSW and the Phoenix Foundry at Uralla. The guidance and advice of members of the Heritage Council's History Advisory Panel is also acknowledged. The exhibition was curated by Bruce Baskerville.
Crown copyright. Published 25 October 2006, revised 9 November 2006 and 14 March 2007.
Archives in Brief #110, prepared by State Records NSW, provides a brief overview of the major sources held by State Records relating to official coats of arms in NSW. It is the first guide to the state's heraldic records that has been prepared, and is a significant contribution to commemorating the centenary of the State Arms.
You can explore the work of other heraldic agencies and obtain further heraldic information through the www links on this site.
In-text references (paper)
- 'A New Seal', Historical Records of Australia, The Library Committee of the Commonwealth Parliament, Series 1, Volume IX, Note 97: 872
- anon. 'Coat of Arms for New South Wales: new design approved', Sydney Morning Herald, 30 March 1906
- anon. 'The New Coat of Arms', Sydney Morning Herald, 6 April 1906: 4
- anon. 'Government Printer: Death of Mr. W.A. Gullick', Sydney Morning Herald, 29 April 1922: 12
- anon. 'Obituary: Mr. W.A. Gullick', Sydney Morning Herald, 2 May 1922: 10
- Astley, William, 'Letter to the Editor', Sydney Morning Herald, 3 April 1906
- Birth Certificate, Noel Applegate Gullick, 007119/1900, Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Sydney 13 June 2002
- Death Certificate, William Applegate Gullick, 006668/1922, Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Sydney 22 September 2005
- Death Certificate, William Ransome Gullick, 9458/1896, Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Sydney 4 October 2005
- G.L.M., 'Letter to the Editor', Sydney Morning Herald, 3 April 1906
- Government Printing Office, NRS 4472, Miscellaneous invitations, announcements and photographs, 1882-1937,[X720], State Records NSW
- Legislative Council, Report on the Proposed State Arms Bill, NSW Parliament, Legislative Council Standing Committee on Law and Justice, Report 23, Sydney December 2002
- letter, WA Gullick to CT Burfitt Esq, The Australian Historical Society, 8 December 1909, Royal Australian Historical Society Collections.
- letter, York Herald to Agent General for NSW, 3 May 1906, in Gullick Scrapbook, State Library 929.6/2 (Bib 24174596)
- letter, York Herald to Agent General for NSW, 11 May 1906, in Gullick Scrapbook, State Library 929.6/2 (Bib 24174596)
- Letters Patent, Assignment of Arms to Metropolitan Water, Sewage & Drainage Board, 1 March 1965; Sydney Water s170 Collections.
- Letters Patent, Assignment of Arms to Prospect County Council, 20 July 1972; Integral Energy s170 Collections.
- Marriage Certificate, William Applegate Gullick and Mary Anne Pierce, 002228/1886, Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Sydney 13 June 2002
- Sands Directory, various years 1864 - 1932/33, Heritage Branch Library
- 'Royal Warrant Granting Armorial Ensigns and Supporters for the State of NSW', Government Gazette, Supplement, Sydney 22 February 1907: 1345-1346
- Supreme Court NSW, Probate Jurisdiction, Will of William Applegate Gullick, No. 112707, Reg. 50, No. 2127, Folio 125, 1929.
- Annable, R., 'Historical Development', in Tanner & Associates Pty Ltd, Conservation Management Plan, 48 Martin Place, Sydney, Volume 1, Tanner & Associates Pty Ltd., Surry Hills, July 2002
- Bures, Susan, The House of Wunderlich, Kangaroo Press, Kenthurst 1987
- Clive Lucas & Partners Pty Ltd, General Post Office, Sydney: Conservation analysis, conservation and development guidelines, Volume 2, Appendix 1, Documentary Evidence, Clive Lucas & Partners Pty Ltd., Sydney June 1985
- Darragh, Thomas A., The Establishment and Development of Engraving and Lithography in Melbourne to the time of the Gold Rush, Garravembi, Melbourne 1990.
- Fox-Davies, Arthur, A Complete Guide to Heraldry, Dodge Publishing Co., New York 1909
- Davies, Alan, An Eye for Photography, Miegunyah Press, Melbourne 2004
- Gibbney, HJ & Smith, Ann, (Eds), A Biographical Register 1788-1939: notes from the name index of the Australian Dictionary of Biography, volumes 1 & 2, Australian Dictionary of Biography, Canberra 1987
- Gullick, William Applegate, The New South Wales Coat of Arms, with notes on the earlier seals, Government Printer, Sydney 1907
- Gullick, William Applegate, The Seals of New South Wales, Government Printer, Sydney 1914
- Henderson, Beryl (Ed)., Monuments and Memorials: a tribute to their worth, Royal Australian Historical Society, Sydney 2000
- Innes of Learney, Thomas, Scots Heraldry: a practical handbook: the historical principles and modern application of the art and science, Oliver & Boyd, Edinburgh 1934
- Neubecker, Ottfried, et al, Heraldry: sources, symbols and meaning, Tiger Books International, London 1977/1997
- Prospect County Council, Armorial Bearings and Badge of the Prospect County Council, the Council, Parramatta 1972
- Sherry, Beverley, Australia's Historic Stained Glass, Murray Child & Co., Collaroy Plateau 1991
- Swan, Sir Conrad, Canada: Symbols of Sovereignty: An investigation of the arms and seals borne and used from the earliest times to the present in connection with public authority in and over Canada, along with consideration of some connected flags, University of Toronto Press, Toronto 1977
- The State Office Block, Phillip Street, Sydney, NSW, Australia, Government Printer, Sydney 1967; reprint NSW Public Works Department, Sydney 1995
- von Volborth, Carl-Alexander, The Art of Heraldry, Tiger Books International, London 1987/1991
- Woodford, James 'Victory banner flagged as early inspiration for our coat of arms', Sydney Morning Herald, 21 October 2005: 9
In-text references (electronic)
- Australian Dictionary of Biography, Online Edition
- Colonial Secretary's Papers, Index to, State Records NSW: search Thomas Silk; Prince of Orange.
- Concise Guide, State Records NSW: search for Government Printing Office; Metropolitan Water, Sewage & Drainage Board; Rural Bank.
- Flags of The World - Australia: search Historical Flags
- Insolvency Index, State Records NSW : search Gullick
- International Genealogical Index: search England x Gullick
- Melocco Brothers History
- Phoenix Foundry at Uralla
- Registrar General's Office, Historical Indexes: Search Births 1788-1905, Deaths 1788-30 years ago and Marriages 1788 to 50 years ago x Gullick.
- State Library of NSW, Picman: use key word searches Heraldry; Coat of Arms; Gullick; Melocco.
- Westpac Bank, History
Bibliography and further reading
- Chief Secretary's Building: conservation management plan, Department of Public Works & Services, Sydney 2002
- Cooke, D., et al., Coaching Stock in the New South Wales Railways, Vol. 2, Eveleigh Press, Sydney 2002
- Earnshaw, Beverley, An Australian sculptor : William Priestly Macintosh, Kogarah Historical Society, Kogarah 2004
- Eastik, Michael (Ed)., Comprehensive Colour Catalogue of Australian Stamps, Victoria Stamp Traders, Malvern 2003
- Graham Brooks & Associates Pty Ltd, Conservation Management Plan, Queen Victoria Building, 421-481 George Street, Sydney, Ipoh Limited, Sydney November 2003
- Hayes-McCoy, Gerard, A History of Irish Flags from earliest times, Academy Press, Dublin 1979
- Kingston, Beverley, A History of New South Wales, Cambridge University Press, Melbourne 2006
- Hasler, Charles, The Royal Arms: its graphic and decorative development, Jupiter Books, London 1980
- Historical Records of Australia, The Library Committee of the Commonwealth Parliament, Series I - IV, 1914-1922; reprint: Government Printer, Commonwealth of Australia, 1971
- Historical Records of New South Wales, Volumes I - VII, Government Printer, Sydney, 1893-1901; facsimile: Lansdown Slattery & Co., Mona Vale 1978
- Leaf, William & Purcell, Sally, Heraldic Symbols: Islamic insignia and Western heraldry, Victoria and Albert Museum, London 1986
- Low, Charles (Ed), A Roll of Australian Arms : corporate and personal, borne by lawful authority, Rigby, Sydney 1971
- Ó Comáin, Micheál, The Poolbeg Book of Irish Heraldry, Poolbeg Press, Dublin 1991
- Poulos, George, Understanding the genesis of the NSW State Arms, 1906, responses to evidence given in hearing Monday 12 August and Thursday 15 August 2002, unpub. mss., access by courtesy of author
- Stephen, Ann (Ed), Visions of a Republic: the work of Lucien Henry: Paris, Noumea, Sydney, Powerhouse Publishing, Sydney 2001
- 'Subordinate claws', in 'Stay In Touch' column, Sydney Morning Herald, 20 October 2006
- Szabo, Stephen M., Australian Armigers by Year of Grant: 1836-2006, unpub. mss., access by courtesy of author
- White, Richard, 'Let's salute the rising sun', Sydney Morning Herald, 9 March 1998: 17
- White, Richard, Inventing Australia : images and identity 1688-1980, Allen & Unwin, Sydney 1981
Personal communications, commentary and critiques
- Dr Rosemary Annable
- Mr Phil Bennett
- Ms Gail Davis
- Mr Richard d'Apice AM
- Mr Cornelus Duba
- Ms Helen Harrison
- Mr Ian Mitchell
- Mr Robert Nielsen
- Mr John Petersen
- Mr George Poulos
- Ms Anna Roache
- Mr Paul Rogers
- Ms Jyoti Somerville
- Mr Stephen Szabo
- Mr Ken Woolley AM
- Ms Christine Yeats
Page last updated: 01 September 2012