Ship construction, marine engines, fastenings
Information about the components of a ship
- Armstrong, C. & Bourne, J., 1856. The Modern Practice of Boiler Engineering. London (Mitchell Library N621.133/1).
- Burgh, N.P., 1887, Pocket-book on compound-engines. London.
- Desmond, Charles, 1984, Wooden Shipbuilding. The Vestal Press (originally published 1919). New York.
- Guthrie, J., 1971, A History of Marine Engineering. Hutchinson Educational Ltd. UK
- Hamilton, J.A., 1896, Lees Laws of British Shipping and Marine Insurance. London.
- Hutton, W.S., 1903, Steam Boiler Construction. Grosby Lockwood & Son. UK.
- Jamieson, Prof A., 1899, A Text Book on Steam and Steam Engines. Charles Griffin & Company (1910 17th Edition).
- McCarthy, Mike, 1983, "Ships fastenings: A preliminary study", in: Bulletin of the Australian Institute for Maritime Archaeology 7 (1). pp.1-25.
- Staniforth, Mark, 1987, "The casks from the William Salthouse", in: The Australian Journal of Historical Archaeology, vol 5. pp.21-28.
- Staniforth, Mark, 1985, "The introduction and use of copper sheathing - a history". in: Bulletin of the Australian Institute for Maritime Archaeology 9 (1&2). pp.21-31.
- Staniforth, Mark, 1985, "The copper sheathing and fastenings of the American China trader Rapid 1812", in: Bulletin of the Australian Institute for Maritime Archaeology 9 (1&2). pp.32-48.
- Staniforth, Mark, 1984, "Barrels and their stowage", in: The Test Excavation of the William Salthouse wreck site. Australian Institute for Maritime Archaeology Special Publication 3. pp.33ff.
- Steffy, Richard, 1994, Wooden Shipbuilding and the Interpretation of Shipwrecks. Texas A&M University Press. Texas.
- Underhill, Harold, 1946. Masting and Rigging the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier. Glasgow.
Page last updated: 31 August 2012