Signs and trails - Mid north coast
Port Macquarie Shipping Trail, Port Macquarie
The Port Macquarie shipwreck trail features some thirty bronze circular plaques embedded into the lawn within Town Beach Park, fronting the Hastings River. Coordinated by the Port Macquarie Maritime Museum between 1992-1995, the plaques feature individual vessels that traded to Port Macquarie and were funded by individual local families.
Port History Trail, Nambucca Heads
Accessible by car from the coastal town of Nambucca Heads, is a series of stone markers with attached bronze plaques detailing the history of several important foreshore areas. The sites, now public open space bordering the Nambucca River, denote the former coastal shipping wharves and boat-building centres. The markers, established on the river-side of Wellington Drive that extends from the centre of town to Nambucca's North Head and Wellington Rock, itself named after the loss of the iron steamer Wellington at the river entrance in 1892. The trail was established by the Nambucca District Historical Society.
Greater Taree Shire Council, with financial and signage assistance of the Heritage Office, installed an interpretative sign to the paddle steamer Manning, visible on the riverbank in Taree. Council coordinated the construction of a large timber platform providing a great viewing opportunity for visitors. The Manning was an iron paddle steamer that operated on the Manning River from 1878 until about 1937. It is the last visible reminder of the heyday of the river days, when centres such as Taree relied soley on riverine and maritime traffic for survival. The wreck site and viewing platform can be reached from the end of Macquarie Street off Victoria Street, and is situated in Queen Elizabeth Park, adjacent to the Aquatic Club, fronting the Manning River.
K IX Submarine, Seal Rocks
The NSW Heritage Office initiated the installation of a plaque commemorating the loss of the submarine K IX at Submarine Beach, following its relocation of the wreck site in 2000. Funding support was obtained from the Consulate of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and Great Lakes Council. The March 23 2001 unveiling ceremony by Urban Affairs & Planning Minister, Dr Andrew Refshauge, involved some 120 guests. Established at the lookout adjacent to the Sugarloaf Point Lighthouse at Seal Rocks, guests included Mr Ed Reitsma, Consul General of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and Great Lakes Council staff. Representatives of the Netherlands Ex-Servicemen & Women's Association of Australia, the Submarines Association of Australia, the Naval Association of Australia, DL&WC, NPWS, historical societies, local school children and residents, were also prominent.
Rainbow, Seal Rocks
An iron Admiralty Pattern anchor is established as a memorial to the loss of the Rainbow at Seal Rocks Bay. Located under a pine tree outside the 'Kiosk' at Seal Rocks, the anchor's attribution to the Rainbow is not certain. Several vessels are recorded to have been lost in the immediate area. The Rainbow was a wooden paddle steamer that wrecked on a reef at Boat Beach in 1864, after its anchors dragged. The cargo of pine logs was strewn along the beach and seven of the crew drowned. The ship's boiler visible on the beach below is now thought to mark the wreck of the paddle steamer Trio of 1870. Seal Rocks is accessed from The Lakes Way from either Bulladelah or Forster. The turn off to Seal Rocks is just north of the township of Bungwahl.
Page last updated: 31 August 2012