Signs and trails - south east
A large iron passenger and cargo vessel, the steamer Merimbula crashed ashore on the reef at Whale Point in 1928. The hull subsequently sank back into the water but the shattered bow remains on the reef top, but thrown some 400 metres from the actual wreck site.
The interpretative sign to the Merimbula is located on the edge of the coastal reef flat at Whale Point, Currarong. The point is only accessible by an easy walking track through the Abraham's Bosom Reserve, located off the end of Beecroft Parade, Currarong. One of Merimbula's anchors is on public display in the car park of the Currarong Bowling Club in Currarong Road. A small plaque near the anchor provides some information of the vessel, while the Club has several historic photographs displayed.
The schooner Rover, 87 tons sought the safety of Broulee Bay during a terrific gale on 13 October 1841. The twenty-three persons aboard braved the conditions while anchored during the night. Used to ferry convicts around to different settlements, the Rover was carrying eleven prisoners of the Crown, a military escort of four members from the 28th Regiment, passengers and crew. When the anchors parted, the boat was rolled completely over throwing everyone into the sea. Several died in the incident.
A marker plinth and information sign was established to the mark the event. Situated in the foreshore park fronting Broulee Bay at Broulee, access to the stone marker is via Coronation Drive and across the bridge to Annetts Parade.
Lady Darling, Narooma
The steamer Lady Darling sank south of Montague Island at night in 1880. While the crew reached the safety of the island, the collier was totally lost until discovered by divers in 1986. Heritage Office staff undertook the archaeological recording of the historic shipwreck.
The Mayor of Eurobodalla Shire Council unveiled an interpretative plaque to the Lady Darling shipwreck, in company with Mrs Hazel Hawke, Chair of the New South Wales heritage Council, in 1996. While the ceremony was held at the Narooma Coastal Patrol station, the bronze plaque designed by the Heritage Office and funded by council, was later installed at Narooma. The plaque, together with other coastal environmental interpretative signs, is accessible by foot along the coastal walking trail, leading from Pilot Street.
Missing open boat, Mystery Bay
Mystery Bay south of Narooma gained its unique name when, in October 1880, an empty rowing boat was discovered wrecked ashore. Inside were the crew's belongings, a bullet lodged in the side and vomit across the bows - so the story goes. Adding to the intrigue, the crewmen were never found despite extensive searches. Today the bay has become a popular camping and fishing area. No trace of the boat has been found, probably being recovered in 1880.
A stone marker and plinth commemorating the event has been established on the coastal reserve at Mystery Bay, off Mystery Bay Road, that leads from the Princes Highway. The marker is situated adjacent to the beach near the National Parks & Wildlife camping ground, and was produced with the assistance of the Department of Mineral Resources.
Ly-ee-Moon, Green Cape
A sign marking the events surrounding the terrifying loss of the iron steamer Ly-ee-Moon marks the entrance gates to the Green Cape Lighthouse grounds. The lighthouse is assessible at the tip of Green Cape, via Green Cape Road in the Ben Boyd National Park. Green Cape Road leads from Edrom Road and the Princes Highway. Just before the termination of the partly unsealed road, the historic cemetery to the 71 victims is visible by a small walking track through the scrub on the left side of the road.
On Tathra Headland the Bega Valley Shire Council has established signage to two shipwreck events, the Sydney Cove (1797) and to WWII shipping losses off the headland and, in particular, the William Dawes (1942).
TheSydney Cove plaque commemoratessurvivors of that wreck in Tasmania and whopassed Tathra Headland on an epic overland trek to Sydney. The text of the plaque reads, "A desperate Walk to Safety:This plaque recognises the bicentenary of the 17 brave sailors from the Sydney Cove who, in April 1797, walked this coastline as part of their epic 640km trek from Victoria's Gippsland coast to Botany Bay Sydney to seek help for their companions. The Sydney Cove was wrecked on what is now known as Preservation Island situated of Tasmania's north east coast. The 17 sailors set out in a long boat, which was cast ashore and began their long trek. Three survivors eventually reached Botany Bay.
Page last updated: 31 August 2012