Culture and history
The park area since colonisation
Before becoming a national park the area of Mt Kaputar was used largely for grazing. Throughout the park you'll find remnants from the pioneering families who lived in extremely harsh conditions.
One such family were the Scutts who lived in the area above Kurrawonga Falls in a hut that still stands today. The Parry family (Mrs Parry and Mrs Scutt were sisters) lived near the Scutts but their hut was burned down in a bushfire in the 1950s.
Sheep and cattle grazed the plateau area up until the 1950s, with stockmen sometimes spending weeks at a time scouting around for their stock and keeping watch over them. It was a lonely life for these stockmen and sometimes months would go by without them seeing another human being.
History of the park
In 1925 an area of 775 hectares around Mt Kaputar was proclaimed a Reserve for Public Recreation. Two years later the local shire council gave control over to the Mt Kaputar Trust, which was a group of very interested and dedicated local people. This group gave advice and guidance on management issues within the reserve.
In 1959 the reserve became Mt Kaputar National Park but remained under the management of the trust. In 1967 the park (14,244 hectares) came under control of the newly-established National Parks and Wildlife Service. A regional advisory committee now gives advice and guidance.
In 1965 two cabins were constructed providing accommodation at Dawsons Spring. A permanent water supply was provided and shower, toilet and picnic facilities built.
There are now 3 cabins at Dawsons Spring and the Bark Hut site has been developed for picnicking and camping, including showers and toilets.
Problem in ProcessDataItems 7 (tranform): The value for column 'EventName' in table 'FireAndClosureEvent' is DBNull.