Culture and history
History in the park
Early settlers gave the area its name 'glen', meaning 'narrow valley', and 'rock' because of its rugged nature. At one time the Glenrock Lagoon area was known as the 'Valley of the Palms' because the cabbage palm was once common around Newcastle and is found in similar coastal locations. In 1932 the Scout Association of Australia was granted a lease of 40 hectares of land at Glenrock Lagoon and scouting activities have continued there ever since. Glenrock State Conservation Area was proclaimed in 1986 and is significant for its educational, recreational and historic values.
There are a number of historic sites of interest, including tank traps and evidence of old mine workings and market gardens.