Trial Bay Gaol
Wheelchair access: hard
Wheelchairs can access this area with some difficulty
- There are stairs to the museum and guard tower
- Assistance to the beach is required
- Wheelchair accessible toilets are available in four amenity blocks
- Wheelchair accessible showers are available in the beach front and main amenities blocks
Step back in time on a guided tour of Trial Bay Gaol, soaking up the history and the amazing coastal views that surround it.
The gaol opened in 1886, after 13 years of construction. It must have been a strange feeling building a prison in such a beautiful setting. The prison labourers were there to construct a breakwater to make Trial Bay a safe harbour between Sydney and Brisbane. Unfortunately the scheme failed, however you’ll still be able to see the remains of the breakwater from the guard tower lookout. During World War I the gaol became an internment camp for people of German descent who were feared to be enemy sympathisers.
Today, this picturesque historic ruin stands as a testament to those who lived and died here, with a museum and memorial for visitors to get a better idea of life in those days. Feeling energetic? try the nearby Powder Magazine walking track or Monument Hill walking track.
Other purpose of venue: historic site
shown on park map
Getting there: Trial Bay Gaol is in the Trial Bay Gaol precinct of Arakoon National Park.
From South West Rocks:
- Follow Phillip Drive
- Turn left onto Cardwell Street
- Continue along Cardwell Street until you reach Trial Bay Goal
Road access: Sealed road - 2WD vehicles.
When this venue is available
The venue can be hired during the daytime and evening. It is available for exclusive hire in the evening.
Events this venue is suitable for
- Wedding ceremonies (max 500 people)
- Wedding receptions (max 300 people, only if gazebos are erected)
- Parties (max 500 people, no undercover space unless gazebos are erected. The site is suitable for group picnics/barbecues and/or cocktail parties.)
- Filming and photography shoots (max 500 people)
- Movie screenings (max 100 people, no undercover areas unless gazebos are erected)
- Theatrical performances (max 100 people, no undercover areas unless gazebos are erected)
General facilities: picnic tables, boat ramp, amenities block, hot showers, gas/electric barbecues (coin-operated), wood barbecues (bring your own firewood), flush toilets, carpark, venue, lookout, drinking water
Venue facilities: drinking water
Other facilities: 240V and 3-phase power; gazebo stage
- Tents/marquees. Must be secured with weights (no pegs).
- Commercial catering.
- Amplified/loud music and/or public address systems. Permitted inside the gaol until 10pm only.
- Non-amplified music.
- Candles or other open flames.
Not permitted here:
- Domestic animals.
- Vines and other exotic plant material.
- Roping off areas or signs re exclusive event.
- Confetti, rice, petals or similar. Flower petals are permitted.
Bookings, payments and refunds
Contact the Centre Manager on (02) 6566 6419 for more information.
Interested in this venue?
South West Rocks (Trial Bay Gaol), Phone: 02 6566 6168