Gap Bluff Centre, The Officers Mess and Fountain Garden
The Gap Bluff Centre is in Watsons Bay. It is part of Sydney Harbour National Park, and was formerly the South Head School of Artillery. The centre consists of two heritage-listed buildings - The Armoury and the Officer's Mess. Both can be hired for social functions.
shown on South Head map
Getting there: The Military Road turn-off is at the end of Old South Head Road, in Sydney's eastern suburbs.
Bus services stop near this venue. Sydney Ferries services operate to the nearby Watsons Bay wharf. Contact the Transport Info Line for more details.
South Head (PDF 161 KB) - showing the Head Lightkeepers Lawn, Outer South Head, Inner South Head, Green Point (North, West and South), The Armoury, Officers' Mess and the Fountain Garden.
A limited amount of complimentary onsite parking is provided to event organisers.
When this venue is available
You can book this venue for your exclusive use. Availability is for nine-hour periods from 7:00am to 10:30pm Sunday to Thursday and 7:00am to 11:30pm Friday and Saturday. Please note all clients, guests, suppliers and vehicles must have departed the site by midnight when the gate to the National Park is closed.
NOTE: due to an imminent Expression of Interest for the management of the Gap Bluff Centre buildings, bookings are no longer being accepted for dates after July 2013.
Events this venue is suitable for
- Wedding receptions (max 100 people)
- Private/corporate lunches (max 100 people)
- Private/corporate dinners (max 100 people)
- Parties (max 120 people)
Venue facilities: drinking water, electric power, carpark
This building is connected to mains electricity.
- Venue hire, 9 hours: $2900 ($500 deposit) - overtime rates apply for any hours required in excess of 9 hours (see below). Where additional hours are required but not concurrent to the 9-hour period a minimum of 3 hours applies.
- Additional hire, Mon-Sun: $320 per hour. For additional hire time in excess of 9 hours.
- Additional hire, public holidays: $380 per hour. For additional hire time in excess of 9 hours.
- public holiday surcharge: $550 (additional)
- Commercial catering.
- Non-amplified music. Ffor example string quartets, acoustic guitarist)
Not permitted here:
- Candles or other open flames.
- Confetti, rice, petals or similar.
- Domestic animals.
- Vines and other exotic plant material.
- The Venue Manager has complete control over the venue including all means of ingress and egress and over the timing of opening and closing of doors and the admission of the guests including the right to refuse admission to any person or persons.
- The Gap Bluff Centre reserves the right to cancel or close down an event at any time without liability to the NPWS if the Venue Manager on duty believes the event could result in the Venue or any other part of the Gap Bluff area being damaged or the smooth running, security and/or reputation of The Gap Bluff Centre being adversely affected.
- The Gap Bluff Centre has no responsibility or liability to event organisers in respect of catering. Event organisers must advise the name of their contracted caterer. Caterers are responsible for ensuring the venue and kitchen areas are left clean and tidy. Discarding of any waste including oil and liquid waste down the drains or in the garden areas is prohibited. Ice is not to be disposed of on the lawns or gardens. It is the responsibility of the event organiser to ensure caterers abide by all conditions.
- The event organiser must ensure all guests and staff comply with all directions given by officers and staff of the NPWS during the event in relation to the manner in which the event is being conducted.
- All contractors and sub-contractors must report to the Venue Manager located on the first floor of the Officers Mess building prior to the commencement of any work. Contractors and sub-contractors appointed by or on behalf of event organisers must at all times observe and comply with these terms and conditions and any instructions relating to the venue and its use which may be given by the Venue Manager or an officer of the National Parks and Wildlife Service.
- Event organisers are liable for any damage sustained to the venue or any other parts of the Gap Bluff Precinct arising out of the event including as a result of accident or misadventure and whether through event organisers own actions or through the actions of their staff, sub-contractors or invited guests.
- Nothing is to be nailed, screwed, stapled or adhered to any surface, door, wall or ceiling that forms part of any venue or other buildings in the Gap Bluff area. Please liaise with the Venue Manager regarding acceptable decorations. Nothing may be pegged into the ground.
- All deliveries to the venue must be pre-arranged and approved by the Venue Manager. The Gap Bluff Centre has no responsibility for any damages or loss of items stored at the Gap Bluff Centre.
- The event organiser must provide final attendance numbers to the Venue Manager no later than seven days prior to the event. The balance of the venue hire fee is required no later than six weeks prior to the date of the function. All final details relating to the function must also be advised at this time.
- No fireworks are permitted in Sydney Harbour National Park. Naked flames are not permitted in the park and total fire bans apply when in force.
- The Gap Bluff Centre has no responsibility or liability for loss or damage to any goods or items belonging to the event organisers or any persons attending their event or any of their staff or subcontractors and/or any attendees.
- The number of guests attending the event must not exceed the advertised venue capacity.
- All equipment and other items used in the event must be set up and removed in accordance with good and safe practices and must be removed from the venue promptly after the event and not later than the Venue Manager may specify.
- Smoking is not permitted in the Officers Mess or Armoury buildings. It is the responsibility of the event organiser to ensure all cigarette butts are placed in the smokers' trays provided outside.
- Limited storage facilities can be organised prior to, or after an event. All goods and other items are stored at event organisers risk and The Gap Bluff Centre has no liability for any damages or loss suffered or incurred to any goods or items stored.
Bookings, payments and refunds
Bookings are essential. An application form and non-refundable fee of $500 must be forwarded to the Gap Bluff Centre, Sydney Harbour National Park within 14 days of placing a date on hold to secure the booking. Refund of this fee will only apply if approval for the function is denied. If the application form, deposit and/or balance of payment are not received by the due date the booking may be automatically cancelled.
No booking is confirmed unless the required non refundable deposit of $500 and signed booking forms are paid to and received by The Gap Bluff Centre. Full payment of the balance must be made no later than six weeks prior to the event and is also non refundable. NPWS reserves the right to cancel any booking that does not meet these requirements. Cheques must be made payable to Gap Bluff Centre.
In lieu of charging a security deposit, clients will be invoiced for any damages incurred as a result of the event. Breach of conditions may also result in additional fees being charged.
Interested in this venue?
Gap Bluff Centre, Phone: 02 9337 2333