Joint Management Custodians of NSW (Custodians meetings)
There are over 20 Aboriginal joint management boards of management and committees which have been established through formal agreements with the Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH).
The chairs or other representatives of these Aboriginal joint management boards and committees are known as the Joint Management Custodians of NSW, they have met regularly since 2009. The meetings were held in:
- March 2009 hosted by the Saltwater people at Taree
- June 2009 hosted by the Githabul Management Committee at Toonumbar Waters
- October 2009 hosted by the Worimi Board of Management at Port Stephens
- March 2010 hosted by the Gundabooka National Park Co-management Committee at Bourke
- September 2010 jointly hosted by Biamanga and Gulaga boards of management at Narooma
- March 2011 hosted by the Mungo National Park Joint Management Advisory Committee at Mungo
- October 2011 jointly hosted by the Gaagal Wanggaan (South Beach) National Park - Interim Advisory Committee and Yarriabini National Park Aboriginal Consultative Group at Valla Beach
- May 2012 hosted by the Gawambaraay Pilliga Co-management Committee at Baradine
At their meetings the Custodians exchange information, counsel and make recommendations to the Chief Executive of OEH and the Minister for Environment on matters relating to the joint management of parks in NSW.
The Custodians will be informed by, and provide information to the broader network of Aboriginal communities involved in joint management of parks in NSW. This web page is one way to exchange information with the network.
The membership of the Custodians group continues to increase as new joint management agreements are established. Information on the boards and committees which constitute the Custodians group is available at Joint management agreements.
For more information on the Custodians and the issues that have been discussed at their meetings:
The terms of reference and the ongoing operation of the Custodians will be reviewed in 2012.
Page last updated: 01 August 2012