Reduce stormwater pollution
What you can do to reduce stormwater pollution
Some actions to do more:
Pick up litter in the park or on the street.
Sweep your gutter and driveway regularly and place the sweepings on the garden, the compost or in the bin.
Do not allow soil or mulch to be washed or blown off the garden.
Clean up pet droppings and dispose of them in the garden, rubbish bin or in the toilet.
Rake up leaves or lawn clippings and use them as mulch on the garden or place them in the compost.
Stabilise and replant areas of disturbed soil.
Consider natural alternatives to pest control chemicals in the garden.
Use the minimum amount of detergent for cleaning outside.
Wash paint brushes and rollers over a sand filter on the lawn.
Make sure your household sewerage pipes are not connected illegally to stormwater.
Install rainwater tanks (where council permits), and use this water on your garden.
Replace impermeable surfaces (e.g. concrete) with permeable surfaces such as timber decks and pavers (with gaps between pavers).
Maintain your car making sure there are no oil leaks.
Wash cars on the lawn or gravel and use minimal detergent. Empty the soapy water down the sink or toilet. Even better, take your car to a car wash where the water gets treated and recycled.
Some actions to avoid:
- Hosing instead of sweeping dirt off impervious surfaces.
- Dropping packaging or cigarette butts on the ground.
- Leaving rubbish where bins are already full.
- Hosing leaves and grass clippings into gutters.
- Piling sand and soil on areas where it can wash into the stormwater system.
- Overusing chemicals (pesticides and herbicides) that could be washed into stormwater from the garden or yard.
- Using too much fertiliser in the garden (follow the instructions).
- Using pesticides, herbicides and fertiliser when rain is forecast the same day.
- Disposing old oil or chemicals into gutters.
- Pouring paint, solvent or cleaners in the gutter or where they may enter drains.
- Covering large areas with impervious surfaces e.g. concrete, bitumen, which can overload stormwater capacity in heavy rain.
- Washing the car in the street using detergent (it is also illegal)
- Performing oil changes on the car, where oil and may run into gutters.
What would you like to do next?
Page last updated: 15 February 2013