A few more kookaburra facts
- They can catch and kill snakes in the bush.
- In urban areas they also hunt mice and rats.
- They can live for more than 20 years and have the same mate for life.
- Young kookaburras stay with the family for several years. Family groups of more than 6 are common.
- Their greatest threat is from the loss of trees from our suburbs.
- The territory size relates to the family size and is as big as they can defend against other kookaburras.
Page last updated: 27 February 2011