Plastics and chemicals
There are many actions that you can take to cut your usage and improve your bottom line.
Quick returns can be found by improvements to heat exchange systems, production processes and equipment.
An easy starting point is fixing leaks and insulating pipes. These simple actions can deliver impressive short term returns.
Top energy-saving tips
Pumps, fans and compressors: Reduce costs by up to 50 per cent
- Check that motors are the right size for the job and are not using more energy than needed.
- Staff can help make savings by turning motors off when they are not needed.
- Installing variable speed drives (VSDs) on machinery with motors such as compressors, pumps and fans can make a big difference to energy consumption.
Reducing motor speeds by 20 per cent can reduce operating costs by up to 50 per cent.
Boilers: Reduce energy usage by 10 per cent
- For a quick win, insulate pipes and vessels to reduce heat loss.
- Steam generation systems can account for a big proportion of energy used – look for opportunities to return and reuse steam.
Low cost, straightforward improvements and regular boiler maintenance such as leak repair can reduce your energy usage by 10 per cent. These gains are often immediate, or come with a very short payback period.
Compressed air: Save thousands each year
Up to 50 per cent of the compressed air used by industrial businesses could be wasted. By introducing regular checks and repairing compressed air leaks, a business can save thousands of dollars each year.
Even one small air leak can end up costing thousands of dollar a year.
Lighting: Save up to 70 per cent
- A quick win can be achieved by investing in the latest lighting technology. This can have a short pay back period because of the lower energy consumption and reduced maintenance.
- Adding sensors and timers will stop you wasting money on lighting areas that are not being used.
Replacing high bay or fluorescent lighting with LEDs can achieve up to 70 per cent energy savings.
Submeters are a cost effective way to identify thousands of dollars in energy savings opportunities. They can provide you with sophisticated data about your site’s energy use that a standard utility meter cannot. Submeters can reveal operational inefficiencies such as identifying equipment that is running unnecessarily. This data can help you to compare and benchmark usage across similar facilities and over time.
How much can you save?
Operator of one of the largest plasic injection moulding plants in Australia, SULO MGB, has saved $142,000 a year, improved reliability and decreased maintenance downtime from energy efficiency improvements.
How can we help?
We have a team of professionals dedicated to helping you save energy and cut your power bills. Understanding your current situation through an energy audit is often the first step. We can connect you with a local energy efficiency expert who knows your industry, is up-to-date with the latest technologies and can identify your biggest savings.
Our regular training courses can help you make your business more energy efficient and reduce costs.
Online tools and resources
Our range of tools and resources can help you save energy.
What would you like to do next?
Page last updated: 10 December 2015