Maintaining the best conditions for making wine in the Australian climate can be an expensive challenge especially with increases in energy prices. Substantial savings can be achieved through energy efficiency, improving your costs and your productivity.
Top energy-saving tips
- A quick win can be achieved by investing in the latest lighting technology. This can have a short pay back period because of the lower energy consumption and reduced maintenance.
- Adding sensors and timers will stop you wasting money lighting areas that are not being used.
Replacing high bay or fluorescent lighting with LEDs can achieve energy savings of up to 70 per cent.
Refrigeration and chilling
Maintaining cooling equipment, upgrading heat exchangers and insulation and installing or upgrading thermostats can help reduce energy use.
Refrigeration and chilling can account for between 30 to 80 per cent of your energy use.
Pumps, fans and compressors
- Check that motors are the right size for the job and are not using more energy than needed.
- Staff can help make savings by turning off motors when they are not needed.
- Installing variable speed drives (VSDs) on machinery with motors such as compressors, pumps and fans can make a big difference to energy consumption.
Reducing motor speeds by 20 per cent can reduce operating costs by up to 50 per cent.
We have a training course and handbook to help you.
HVAC training course
HVAC optimisation guide
Heating, ventilation and air-conditioning are significant energy users for any building. Finding out how to best maintain and optimise your HVAC systems can turn into significant cost savings.
Submeters can provide you with sophisticated data about your site’s energy use that a standard utility meter cannot. Submeters can reveal operational inefficiencies such as identifying equipment that is running unnecessarily. This data can help you to compare and benchmark usage across similar facilities and over time.Submeters are a cost effective way to identify thousands of dollars in energy savings opportunities.
How much can you save?
First Creek Winemaking Services explain how they made big savings by taking action to upgrade their lighting and cooling systems.
Case study - First Creek Winemaking Services
How can we help?
We have a team of professionals dedicated to helping you save energy and cut your power bills. Understanding your current situation through an energy audit is often the first step. We can connect you with a local energy efficiency expert who knows your industry, is up-to-date with the latest technologies and can identify your biggest savings.
Our regular training courses can help you make your business more energy efficient and reduce costs.
Online tools and resources
Our range of tools and resources can help you save energy.
What would you like to do next?
Page last updated: 10 December 2015