NSW Council on Environmental Education 2007-10
Applications and nominations period has CLOSED
The process to appoint a new Council is underway.
The Protection of the Environment Administration Amendment (Environmental Education) Act 1998 describes the role of Chair as one that provides strategic leadership, vision and corporate governance to Council.
The Chairperson must have relevant tertiary qualifications and experience in at least three of these areas:
- environmental education
- environmental sciences
- educational program planning
- working with government departments and agencies and community and business groups
- public relations and promotion
- strong communication and interpersonal skills
- capacity to equitably involve all relevant stakeholders
- demonstrated skills in dealing with the media.
The appointment will not exceed 3 years.
A selection panel will assess candidates, after which the Minister for Environment will appoint a Chair, in consultation with the Minister for Education and Training.
The Council is made up of an independent Chairperson and eleven other members, including:
- A community representative, chosen from three nominees provided by the Nature Conservation Council
- A representative of professional environmental educators, chosen from three nominees provided by the Association for Environmental Education (NSW) or by the Australian Association for Environmental Education
- A local government representative, chosen from three nominees provided by Local Government and Shires Associations of New South Wales
- An industry representative, chosen from three nominees provided by peak industry and employer organisations
- A universities representative, chosen from three nominees provided by the Australian Vice Chancellors' Committee.
The Minister for the Environment and the Minister for Education and Training will appoint Council members from the representatives nominated by the above mentioned organisations.
For more information
Call Mr Geoff Young, Executive Officer, NSW Council on Environmental Education on (02) 8837 6009
Page last updated: 27 February 2011