Teachers' kit - Biodiversity for kids
The full teachers' kit (available from Shop NSW) includes:
- comprehensive unit of work (10 lesson plans, outcomes and indicators, teacher's notes, student fact sheets)
- student work sheets
- colour cartoon poster 'biodiversity school'
- 9 colour photographic posters of ecosystems in NSW
- 1 DVD 'Web of Life for Kids' (Biodiversity).
'Biodiversity for kids' is a hands-on Science and Technology unit that is designed to help you teach about biodiversity in your local environment. Students will learn about biodiversity, animal and plant habitats, ecosystems, food chains and webs and biodiversity surveys.
One highlight of the unit is a plant and animal survey of the school grounds. The results of the survey and the students' proposed 'action plan' will become useful information for your School Environmental Management Plan (SEMP), contributing to achieving the objectives of the NSW Environmental Education Policy for Schools. This unit complements the 'Mini-worlds' unit from the Science and Technology syllabus.
The teachers' kit was developed by the NPWS in collaboration with the NSW Department of Education and Training. It was funded under the NSW Biodiversity Strategy.
Documents to download
The Teachers' kit is available for download, however the downloadable version does not include the posters or the video.
You can also download the kit in sections.
- Part 1 - Preliminaries, Lesson Plans (PDF 487KB)
- Part 2 - Work Sheets (PDF 1.2MB)
- Part 3 - Fact Sheets, Teacher's Notes (PDF 385KB)
Buy this teacher's kit
Page last updated: 21 December 2015