Culture and heritage

Heritage

Heritage news releases: 2011 archive

Heritage Order placed over Wilson House, Turramurra

The Minister for Heritage has placed an Interim Heritage Order (IHO) over the Wilson House at 7 McRae Place, North Turramurra. The request for the IHO came from Ku-Ring-Gai Council and will last up to 12 months. During this time investigations will examine an appropriate level of heritage listing for the property. Also during the year the Heritage Council of NSW and Ku-Ring-Gai Council will work with the owners regarding proposed changes and additions to the property. Wilson House is of heritage significance for its innovative modernist design and as a fine representative example of the 'Sydney School' style of architecture. It also has associations with the leading architect who designed it, Colin Madigan, as a rare example of his domestic architecture.

More information in the online database.

8 December 2011

Seven new sites added to the State Heritage Register

Media release (111116sevensites.pdf, 34KB) for the following seven sites added to the State Heritage Register 16 November 2011.

Blacks Camp Wellington - listed on the State Heritage Register

Blacks Camp Wellington

Blacks Camp Wellington

Blacks Camp is the earliest remembered Aboriginal camp in the Wellington area. The former camp site is part of a sequence of post contact Aboriginal settlements in Wellington, where Wiradjuri People lived segregated from the town's people. The site has the potential, through archaeological relics and deposits, to provide information and insight into the demographics, living conditions, social organisation and cultural practices of Aboriginal people living in the Wellington area in the 19th and early 20th Centuries.

Blacks Camp is significant to the Aboriginal community because the site tells part of the story of what became of the Wiradjuri People following the arrival of non-Aboriginal settlers in the Wellington Valley and the loss of Wiradjuri traditional lands. The former camp site is also significant to the local Aboriginal community as an Aboriginal burial ground and for its two traditional Aboriginal sites (a scarred tree and shell midden).

More information in the online database.

Blacktown Native Institution Oakhurst - listed on the State Heritage Register

Blacktown Native Institution Oakhurst

Blacktown Native Institution Oakhurst

The Blacktown Native Institution played a key role in the history of colonial assimilation policies and race relations. The site is notable for the range of associations it possesses with prominent colonial figures including: Governor Macquarie, Governor Brisbane, Samuel Marsden, William Walker and Sydney Burdekin.

The Blacktown Native Institution site is valued by the contemporary Aboriginal community and the wider Australian community as a landmark in the history of cross-cultural engagement in Australia. For Aboriginal people in particular, it represents a key historical site symbolising dispossession and child removal. The site is also important to the Sydney Maori community as an early tangible link with colonial history of trans-Tasman cultural relations and with the history of children removed by missionaries.

The Blacktown Native Institution is a rare site reflecting early 19th century missionary activity. The site has the potential to reveal evidence that may not be available from other sources, about the lives of the children who lived at the school and the customs and management of the earliest Aboriginal school in the colony. The site also has the potential to contain archaeological evidence relating to later phases of land use, including the period the property was owned by Sydney Burdekin. In addition, the site may contain evidence of Aboriginal camps which may provide information about how Aboriginal people, accustomed to a traditional way of life, responded to the changes prompted by colonisation.

More information in the online database.

Air Defence Headquarters Sydney (former) Condell Park - listed on the State Heritage Register

Air Defence Headquarters Sydney (former) Condell Park

Air Defence Headquarters Sydney (former) Condell Park

The former World War II Sydney Air Defence Headquarters (ADHQ) was conceived and planned at a time when the Australian military was undergoing an expansion due to the perceived threat of invasion by Japan. A purpose built, Fighter Sector Headquarters was considered key to the defence of the Sydney region. The Sydney ADHQ, which came into operation in January 1945, was an integral part of Australia's defence network during the latter stage of WW2. It is the only facility of its type, built in NSW during World War II and one of four, purpose built Australia, of which only three survive. The building has considerable research potential in terms of its ability to yield information (that may not be available from other sources) about the design, fabric and construction of this rare WW2 facility.

With the exception of the provision of a naval plotting room, the building was constructed in accordance with a standard design agreed upon by all three of the military services. It is part of a small group of Fighter Control Units, which collectively illustrates a representative type. The Former Air Defence Headquarters is associated with former service men and women of all three branches of the military, as well as former members of the No. 2 Volunteer Observers Corps (Australia). The men and women who worked in the bunker were responsible for the air defence of New South Wales, during the latter part of World War II.

More information in the online database.

McIver Women's Baths Coogee - listed on the State Heritage Register

McIver Women's Baths Coogee

McIver Women's Bath Coogee

The McIver Women's Baths is reportedly, the only remaining swimming venue (specifically reserved for women) in continuous use in NSW (and, perhaps, Australia). Formally recognised in 1876, but in use since the 1830s, the McIver Women's Baths have been well frequented by the female community as, initially, a safe and naturally secluded place to bathe and, later, as a private venue to swim and learn water safety skills.

The baths also have a historical association with the rise of competitive swimming in NSW. Although not used as a venue for competitions, the baths were used by Fanny Durack and Mina Wylie to develop their swimming skills (Durack and Wylie went on to win gold and silver medals at the 1912 Stockholm Olympic Games - the first Games to allow women to participate in competitive swimming - the 100m freestyle).

The McIver Women's Baths are also particularly significant for their social value to the female community of NSW. Since the early female colonists first utilised this pool in the 1830s, generations of women have visited and used this naturally-occurring and beautiful swimming site. Its privacy as a gender-segregated facility has been a long-held attraction for a range of different women in NSW - including, as an example, mothers and children, elderly women, women with disabilities and women from Islamic and Catholic communities.

In 1995, having been granted an exemption under the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977, the McIver Women's Baths cemented its purpose as a womens area and its ongoing use reflects the high regard the female community continues to have for this site.

More information in the online database.

John Fowler 7nhp Steam Road Locomotive Wellington - listed on the State Heritage Register

John Fowler 7nhp Steam Road Locomotive Wellington

John Fowler 7nhp Steam Road Locomotive Wellington

The John Fowler 7 nominal horse power Steam Road Locomotive is as an example of a defunct and now rare technology that played a vital role in the construction of rural roads in NSW, thereby contributing to the increasing accessibility of regional areas in NSW across the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The operational status and good physical integrity of the John Fowler Steam Road Locomotive provides a rare opportunity to demonstrate the power and scale of the machinery required for major rural road building activity in NSW.

More information in the online database.

....

Wilberforce Park - listed on the State Heritage Register

Wilberforce Park

Wilberforce Park

Wilberforce Park is the best surviving example of the three surviving Great Squares created 200 years ago in the heart of the grid patterned towns of Wilberforce, Windsor and Richmond. Wilberforce is among the five new country towns planned by Governor Macquarie in 1810-1811 and has survived with remarkable integrity. Its direct associations with some of the earliest planning work by Governor Macquarie and James Meehan demonstrate its importance, together with Wilberforce as some of the earliest town planning attempts in NSW and the colony.

The central Square, now a Park, is still today an essential historic asset for passive recreation and quiet contemplation at the heart of a perfectly preserved Georgian town-plan. Its deliberate siting adjacent to the iconic Macquarie Schoolhouse/chapel and St John's (Blacket) Church (already on the State Heritage Register) and its views over the Hawkesbury flood-plain enhance the State significance of both Park and Schoolhouse.

The Park has also become the chosen site for the district's memorials to those who fell or otherwise served in war. The memorial erected after World War I and reused to commemorate subsequent campaigns, is of local significance not only for itself, but also for the way in which it has encouraged continuing planting of shade-trees in a memorial avenue.

More information in the online database.

Country Womens Association Rest House Barellan - listed on the State Heritage Register

Country Womens Association Rest House Barellan

Country Womens Association Rest House Barellan

The Country Women's Association Rest House in Barellan, dating from July 1924, is one of the first 'CWA rest houses' purpose-built by local country women in Australia. It is of State significance for its associations with the foundation years of this nationally important women's group which was formed in New South Wales in 1922 in order to 'improve the conditions of women on the land'. The building demonstrates various efforts made to meet the needs of country women and children. It is also of State significance for its representative role in providing an example of the facilities constructed and adapted for different community uses by a CWA branch throughout the twentieth century, usually as a result of local fundraising. It is representative of the enthusiasm that accompanied the formation of the CWA, demonstrated by the fact that by the time the Barellan Rest House was open in mid-1924 there were 120 branches, 4500 members and 20 rest rooms under construction.

The CWA Rest House in Barellan is likely to be of local significance for its aesthetic contribution to the streetscape as a historic weatherboard community facility and for its role in contributing to community life in the town throughout the twentieth century.

More information in the online database.

16 November 2011

Christ Church Cathedral Newcastle - listed on the State Heritage Register

Christ Church Cathedral Newcastle

Christ Church Cathedral Newcastle

Christ Church Cathedral with its moveable collection, park and cemetery is historically significant because of its origins in early convict history and the establishment of the Anglican Church in New South Wales. It is the largest of the cathedrals designed by Horbury Hunt, the largest Anglican cathedral in New South Wales and the largest provincial Anglican cathedral in Australia.

The Cathedral's moveable collection contains many unique or rare items memorialising those who served in war, especially World War I and the collection of stained glass is outstanding in both the state and nation for its size and quality.

The rest park is one of the earliest European burial grounds established in New South Wales, pre-dating Christ Church and is the site of convict burials.

More information in the online database.

Media release (280611NewcastleCathedral.pdf, 126KB)

28 June 2011

Wellington Convict and Mission Site - Maynggu Ganai listed on the State Heritage Register

Southern corner of Wellington Convict and Mission Site - Maynggu Ganai

Southern corner of Wellington Convict and Mission Site - Maynggu Ganai

Wellington Convict and Mission Site - Maynggu Ganai is a rare archaeological landscape with extensive evidence of the second colonial outpost established on the frontier west of the Blue Mountains.

The place went on to become the first Anglican run Aboriginal mission in Australia and is also associated with prominent colonial individuals.

The place is of high social and cultural significance to the community of Wellington and the wider Indigenous community.

More information in the online database.

11 May 2011

Pipers Creek Lime Kilns - listed on the State Heritage Register

Pipers Creek lime kilns

Pipers Creek lime kilns

Pipers Creek Lime Kilns are an important example of only a few extant early-mid nineteenth century period lime kilns in NSW.

The kilns' contribution to lime production in early and mid nineteenth century New South Wales is an important reminder of an industrial process that was crucial to the ongoing construction of permanent buildings in Port Macquarie, and the colony more generally.

More information in the online database.

30 March 2011

Royal Edward Victualling Yard listed on State Register

Royal Edward Victualling Yard

Royal Edward Victualling Yard

The Royal Edward Victualling Yard (REVY) is the first Royal Yard in the southern hemisphere. Belonging to the Royal Australian Navy (RAN), the yard was responsible for supplying the RAN with food, clothing and equipment when required.

The stores operated during both World Wars, and played an instrumental role in the provision of supplies during World War Two. They were constructed during the early twentieth century to the designs of Government Architect Walter Liberty Vernon.

More information in the online database.

30 March 2011

St. Ambrose Church Gilgandra - listed on State Register

St Ambrose Sanctuary, bellcote and chapel from the south east

St Ambrose Sanctuary, bellcote and chapel from the south east

St. Ambrose Church in Gilgandra commemorates the town of Gilgandra's unique place in Australia's WW1 history, as the place where Australia's first and largest 'snow balling' recruitment march began.

The Church was constructed using locally raised funds and a substantial peace and thanks-giving donation from parishioners of St. Ambrose Church Bournemouth, England. The donation was awarded to the town of Gilgandra (over other towns in the British dominions) due to the town's remarkable war service record, which included the 1915 Coo-ee march.

The substantial peace and thanks-giving donation given to Gilgandra for the construction of St. Ambrose Church, appears to be unique within NSW and Australia.

St. Ambrose Church was designed by prominent Melbourne Architect Louis Regional Williams. Williams is considered to be one of Australia's foremost ecclesiastical architects. St. Ambrose Church is a fine example of a relatively early Louis Williams Church. The Church is also a good representative example of the Inter-War Gothic style of architecture (c.1915 - c.1940) of which Williams was a key practitioner.

More information in the online database.

11 February 2011

Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve - listed on State Register

Blast mounds and original buildings

Blast mounds and original buildings

Submerged storage buildings 57 and 56

Submerged storage buildings 57 and 56

Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve is a remarkable cultural and natural landscape. The cultural landscape demonstrates the historical and technical development of systems and regulations of explosives handling and storage for over a century of Naval use.

From the 1890s the site was important and during the Second World War it was integral to the defence capabilities of the allied forces.

It is highly illustrative of the extent of involvement of the Royal Australian Navy and US Navy in the Second World War and the logistics provided by Australia to the Allies. Blast containment structures and design philosophies to accommodate changing international explosives regulations make an interesting landscape which is today an important recreational area and historic site within Sydney Olympic Park.

The natural landscape is exceptional as an intact and diverse estuarine wetland system that contains significant areas of remnant saltmarsh and mangroves in excellent condition that is inside the original area of the Armament Depot.

The Nature Reserve supports three endangered ecological communities Coastal Saltmarsh; Swamp Oak Ironbark Forest and Sydney Turpentine Ironbark Forest. Species listed as vulnerable and/ or endangered can also be found on site including the White-fronted Chat, Green and Golden bell frog, White striped Freetail Bat and the plant Wilsonia backhousei.

More information in the online database.

11 February 2011


Conservatorium of Music - listed on State Register

Conservatorium of Music

Conservatorium of Music

The Conservatorium of Music is of State Heritage Significance because the former Government House Stables is a notable example of Old Colonial Gothick architecture. It is a rare surviving example of the work of noted ex-convict architect Francis Greenway in the Old Colonial Gothick style.

Greenway was instrumental in Macquarie accomplishing Macquarie's aim to transforming the fledgling colony into an orderly, well mannered society and environment.

It is the only example of a gothic building designed by Greenway still standing.

The cost and apparent extravagance was one of the reasons Macquarie was recalled to Britain. The Conservatorium building also has strong associations with Macquarie's wife, Elizabeth, an influential figure in moulding the colony into a more ordered and stylish place under her husband and with the assistance of Greenway. Since the building was converted for use as a Conservatorium in 1916, it has been the core music education institution in NSW and has strong associations with numerous important musicians.

More information in the online database.

28 January 2011

Berrima Internment Group - listed on State Register

Steps leading to porch area and foundation platform of Alsterberg Hut - Berrima Internment Group

Steps leading to porch area and foundation platform of Alsterberg Hut - Berrima Internment Group

Steps to a hut located on the southern side of the Wingecarribee River - Berrima Internment Group

Steps to a hut located on the southern side of the Wingecarribee River - Berrima Internment Group

The Berrima Internment Group has been added to the State Heritage Register for its unique historical values as a place where German mariners were interned during the Great War (from 1915-1919). The precinct contains the archaeological remains of huts, recreation facilities, submerged watercraft and moveable heritage built and used by the internees during their captivity.

The remains tell the story of the lives of those internees and their efforts to retain a cultural identity during confinement.

While they were required to be locked up at night at the adjacent Berrima Goal (already listed on the State Heritage Register), during the day the internees were allowed to roam within two miles of it.

Much of their time was spent building small pleasure huts along the river, building hand made canoes transformed into fanciful watercraft, and conducting regattas. The local Berrima population mixed with their intriguing German neighbours, establishing a unique community.

The heritage precinct provides a tangible link to how Australian authorities regarded and dealt with 'enemies' of the British Commonwealth at that time. The site had a unique flavour as it included both German merchant seamen interned from their ships in Australian ports at the commencement of the war, together with serving German naval personnel from the light cruiser SMS Emden, destroyed by HMAS Sydney in 1914.

The internee's life at the Gaol and along the banks of the Wingecarribee River, is vividly portrayed through an ongoing exhibition, Prisoners of Arcady' at the nearby Berrima Historical Society Museum, Berrima. Several artefacts within the collection, including one of the canoes, have been included in the heritage listing.

More information in the online database.

28 January 2011

Cumberland Street archaeological site - listed on State Register

New youth hostel development containing the Cumberland Street archaeological site

New youth hostel development containing the Cumberland Street archaeological site

In situ relics preserved and displayed by elevated construction of new buildings

In situ relics preserved and displayed by elevated construction of new buildings

Minister for Heritage, Tony Kelly, has announced the listing of the Cumberland Street Archaeological Site on the State Heritage Register. Dating from 1795, this archaeological site is rare surviving evidence of the mostly convict and ex-convict community established in the Rocks from the time of Australia's first European settlement.

Relics from 46 historic houses, two lanes, and other early features remain on the site. It is one of few surviving Rocks places where a substantial physical connection exists to the time of first settlement, including the huts and scattered houses built on and carved into the sandstone outcrops that gave The Rocks its name.

This listing recognises and celebrates the outstanding heritage significance of the archaeological layer in its own right. The relics have been conserved and interpreted through a careful process of archaeological investigation and adaptive re-use of the site as a youth hostel.

Once the excavated site of a major archaeological dig attended by thousands of visitors and volunteers in 1994, a youth hostel is now raised above the in situ relics. This award-winning development completed in 2009 preserves, interprets and displays the in situ relics in many innovative ways, including the building of the Big Dig Education Centre, reconstructed laneways and relics displays to name only a few. The site as a whole represents an outstanding example of best practice relics conservation and interpretation for Australia.

Winning the state's highest heritage honour for this site is a measure of the successful collaboration of the Heritage Council, Heritage Branch, Office of Environment and Heritage and Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority in partnership with Youth Hostels Australia to preserve the site for the education and enjoyment of current and future generations.

More information in the online database.

27 January 2011

St Patrick's Estate, Manly, receives state blessing

Minister Tony Kelly announces the State Heritage Register listing of St Patrick's Estate, Manly, together with (from left) Tim Smith, Acting Director of the Heritage Branch, and Monsignor John Usher, Chancellor of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney

Minister Tony Kelly announces the State Heritage Register listing of St Patrick's Estate, Manly, together with (from left) Tim Smith, Acting Director of the Heritage Branch, and Monsignor John Usher, Chancellor of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney

St Patrick's Seminary building today, dating from c.1888

St Patrick's Seminary building today, dating from c.1888

Minister for Heritage, Minister Tony Kelly, has announced the listing of Australia's first national Catholic seminary, St Patrick's Estate at Manly, on the State Heritage Register.

To celebrate this award of New South Wales' highest heritage honour to St Patrick's, Monsignor John Usher, Chancellor of the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney, joined the Minister and Heritage Branch Acting Director, Tim Smith, at the site on 20 January 2011.

This listing is the successful culmination of the Heritage Council of NSW and Catholic Church working together on the nomination to protect St Patrick's outstanding heritage significance to the people of NSW and Australia.

Dating from the 1800s, this estate represents the largest Catholic seminary in the southern hemisphere established to train Australia's Catholic priests and one of Australia's oldest and largest ecclesiastical estates for its time.

It was also Australia's first national official residence for the Archbishop for over a century, with its grand Victorian residence known as the Cardinal's Palace. Unrivalled for its completeness, grandeur and extraordinary siting as a collegiate ensemble, St Patrick's stands as an icon of Victorian Gothic architecture, natural splendour and Australian Catholicism.

More information in the online database.

24 January 2011

El Alamein Fountain listed on State Register

El Alamein Fountain

El Alamein Fountain

The El Alamein Memorial Fountain is a spectacular fountain and outstanding work of modernist design in water which has been copied all over the world.

Throughout the decades of the 1960s and 1970s it was an icon of Sydney, rivalling the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Opera House for the frequency with which it was represented in tourism imagery.

It is rare in NSW as a local adaptation of the organic school of Scandinavian architectural design and as an example of the application of modernist design technology to fountain design.

The Fountain commemorates Australian soldiers of the 9th Division who fought near the Egyptian town of El Alamein in two battles which helped turn the course of World War II towards victory for the Allies.

It was designed by Bob Woodward, a World War II veteran who rose to national and international prominence as a fountain designer largely because of El Alamein's popularity and critical success.

More information in the online database.

21 January 2011

Minister announces listing of Holy Trinity Church Group at Kelso

Holy Trinity Anglican Church at Kelso

Holy Trinity Anglican Church at Kelso

Constructed in 1835, Holy Trinity Anglican Church at Kelso is the first church built west of the Great Dividing Range. Located in the Bathurst district near Sydney, it has historical associations with the opening up of inland Australia for European occupation by convict labour, in particular, the crossing of the Blue Mountains and the establishment of a Christian settlement in Bathurst in the early 1800s.

Holy Trinity has been in continuous use as a place of worship and burial from 1826 until the present day. Its pioneer graveyard is the earliest European cemetery west of the mountains. Its rectory is designed by renowned ecclesiastic architect Edmund Blacket.

More information in the online database.

21 January 2011

Minister announces listing of McQuade Park

McQuade Park

McQuade Park

McQuade Park is an outstanding and rare feature of Governor Macquarie's concept of a planned country town in 1810.

A central square played a pivotal role in his towns and McQuade Park retains this role in relation to public activities and open space, as well as its relationship to St Matthews church and cemetery.

The later extensions of functions within the park, including sporting, recreational and commemorative, have not obscured the original purpose of Macquarie's Great Square.

More information in the online database.

21 January 2011

Member for Balmain joined by Minister in announcing listing of Mort's Dock on State Heritage Register

Mort's Dock

Mort's Dock

Mort's Dock was the largest shipyard and engineering workshop in the colony in the latter half of the 19th century and the birthplace of modern industry in Australia.

Mort's Dock became the colony's largest private enterprise, and was significant in both the development of the trade union movement and the creation of Australian Labor Party.

The archaeological remains are possibly the only remains of a dry dock of this size in the southern hemisphere preserved in situ.

More information in the online database.

19 January 2011

Page last updated: 23 December 2013