State Arms in a cartouche, 1928
The foundation stones (one laid by Jack Lang) were laid in 1922, and construction was completed in 1928 for the NSW Government Savings Bank, which was later taken over by the Commonwealth Bank in 1931 (Annable, in Tanner: 21). The interiors of the bank feature a sumptuous display of Wombeyan and Cudgegong marbles and mottled green scagliola wall panelling that was constructed by Melocco Brothers of Annandale.
An interior balcony deep within the building above the vault lobby and safe deposit area features two representations of the NSW Coat of Arms, one of which is shown above. The shield is shown in an oval form surrounded by a string of pearls or beads within a wreath and cartouche, and is made of moulded plaster and painted. The supporters, crest and motto are not included, making this a very unusual representation of the State Arms.
Some questions to research:
- Does omitting the supporters, crest and motto mean that this is no longer a representation of the NSW Coat of Arms?
- What opportunities for the heraldic artist arise in using a material like plaster to represent a coat of arms?
Image source: Bruce Baskerville, Heritage Branch, 11th October 2006; State Heritage Register item Commonwealth Bank
Page last updated: 01 September 2012