Mv027 : Mount Victoria Railway Station | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Mv027 : Mount Victoria Railway Station

Item details

Name of item: Mv027 : Mount Victoria Railway Station
Primary address: Station Street, Mount Victoria, NSW 2786
Local govt. area: Blue Mountains
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Station StreetMount VictoriaBlue Mountains   Primary Address

Statement of significance:

The Mount Victoria Railway Station is the most substantial railway station complex in the Blue Mountains. It shows clear layers of growth from its original construction as a terminus station, through its growth at the turn of the century to the duplication of the railway line.

The station is one of only two stations in the Blue Mountains which has two platforms separated by the railway line.

The station is a fine example of railway architecture including Victorian Regency and Federation buildings.
Date significance updated: 23 Dec 99
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Division intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Construction years: 1873-1912
Physical description: Mount Victoria railway station has two platforms either side of two railway lines running north south. The east platform has a platform building and toilet bock connected by a cantilevered awning. The west platform has a 1-2 storey stone and brick building, 2 storey signal box and freestanding toilet block

West Platform Building:
The 1-2 storey 6 bay hipped roof sandstone and brick building runs parallel to and faces the railway line. It has a 2 storey central wing, a single storey north wing and single storey south wing. The sandstone south wing is the original station building, The central wing an extension of the original building, beginning as a single storey extension then later with a second storey extension. The southern bay of the south wing and northern single storey wing were built in 1910.
The stone southern and central wings have hipped slate roofs, brick chimneys with rendered bases and rendered corbels. Stonework is random coursed sparrowpicked stone with bracketed boxed eaves to the 2-storey section. Moulded stone eaves to single storey wing extend along the double storey wing. 2 over 2 pane double hung windows have stone architraves and bracketed sills to top floor, rendered architraves and bracketed sills to ground floor. Pairs 2 panel doors with 2 pane toplights and rendered architraves open to the platform.

A single storey skillion awning on the east side of the building has steel framing supported on sandstone consoles.

The north wing has a low pitched double gabled corrugated steel roof and face brick walls to the north and west with sandstone to the east wall facing the platform. Windows and doors are detailed to match central wing except the doors have no toplight.
A parapetted toilet at north end of the building has brick string courses to the top of parapet.

A cantilevered balcony is on the west side of the central wing, supported on cast iron brackets with iron lace (mostly removed)
A ground floor brick and weatherboard skillion with a tall brick chimney is on the west side of the central wing.
The building has a hipped roof single storey brick wings on southwest corner and a hipped roof 2 storey brick wing on north west of main wing. There is corrugated steel cladding to stair accessing balcony and northwest wing.

A single storey face brick bay at the south end of the building has segmental arches to openings and a corrugated steel roof.

West Platform Lavatory:
A single storey brick gabled building with a brick screen wall on the south side. The building has a corrugated steel roof and plain bargeboards.
Openings have segmental arches and there are louvred window on east side and slots for ventilation in the gables.

Signal Box:
A 2 storey gabled building on north-south axis with face brick walls to the lower storey and on the west (rear) side of upper storey. The signal box has a corrugated steel roof, simple bargeboards and finial and boxed eaves. The gable is clad with rusticated weatherboards and has a timber vent
A tent form awning on gallows brackets shades 6 pane horizontal sliding windows on top floor. The windows have external steel safety bars. There are 6 pane arched windows on the ground floor with rendered sills.
A steel stair is on the south side.


East Platform Building:
The east platform building is a single storey 11 bay building facing the platform. It has a slate roof with terracotta ridging and clerestory light over the ridge at the centre. The walls are of face brick with black tuckpointed red brick jack arches to the openings. The walls have a brick plinth with red splay bricks. The south 5 bays are recessed with red bricks to the head of the recesses.
The west wall facing the platform has 9 over 1 pane double hung windows. A double hung ticket window is at the south end of the building.
Pairs 1/2 glazed doors with coloured multipane toplights open to the platform.

The building has various gabled wings at the rear. A tank stand at the rear has 2 no. corrugated steel tanks.

A skillion awning over the platform is supported on steel brackets on stanchions. It returns around the south side of the building and extends north to link with the lavatory building. A fretwork valance finishes the bay between the platform building and the lavatory.

East Lavatory Block
The single storey gabled lavatory block has a parapet with a roughcast frieze on the west side. The roof is of corrugated steel roof with exposed rafters.
The building has 4 panel doors with arched toplights. The louvred/fixed window on the north side has a brick arch and stone sill.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:23 Dec 99
Modifications and dates: West Platform Building:
Ticket window at south end bricked up
Cantilevered balcony has most cast iron removed and is infilled with fibro and louvred windows
Current use: Railway Station
Former use: Railway Station

History

Historical notes: In 1865 W. Watkins was contracted to build the extension of the western railway line from Blackheath to the proposed Clarence tunnel via Mount Victoria. Mount Victoria station was opened for traffic on 1 May 1868, with a brick station building on a timber platform and a covered goods shed. For a time Mount Victoria was the terminus of the line and the Jenolan Caves tourist traffic helped to maintain its importance even after the Lithgow Zig-Zag took the railway to Bowenfels and Bathurst. Thus the original modest station was replaced by the existing two-storied building with a refreshment room in 1873-4.

The day trains crossed at Mount Victoria before Katoomba had a crossing loop, so an additional stone platform was built at Mount Victoria on the loop in 1883 and a series of ever-larger turntables was built over a long period. Duplication of the line reached Mount Victoria in 1902 but, since it did not cross the mountains to the western plains until 1914, Mount Victoria had special features of line arrangement, compared to the other Blue Mountains stations (Singleton 33-4).

The overbridge was built in 1896 and rebuilt in 1911, the engine shed in 1897. In 1912 the refreshment rooms of 1873-4 were refurbished and in 1913, when duplication to the west of Mount Victoria was imminent, a new single-storied station building was erected opposite the earlier two-storied one. (Davies III 147-8)

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The Mount Victoria Railway Station has a variety of high quality buildings which clearly show the development of the station, mainly between the period of 1873 and 1912. The main building on the west platform is a rare extant example of a Victorian Regency style railway station. While built in four stages, the building has a strong coherence resulting from a continuity of detailing and materials.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The Mount Victoria Railway Station has a variety of high quality buildings which clearly show the development of the station, mainly between the period of 1873 and 1912. The main building on the west platform is a rare extant example of a Victorian Regency style railway station. While built in four stages, the building has a strong coherence resulting from a continuity of detailing and materials.

While contemporary with the majority of station buildings surviving on the Blue Mountains railway line, the east platform building, and adjoining lavatory building, does not derive from the standard pattern used for those buildings as it has been built for a side platform rather than an island platform. It has high quality detailing with its brick detailing, clerestory window and use of roughcast render.

The signal box on the west platform is a representative example of its type, adapted to suit the side platform rather than the more typical island platform. It is a well detailed building designed and oriented to maximise views of the lines in each direction.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanLEP2005MV02707 Oct 05 122 
Heritage study MV027   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Blue Mountains Heritage Study1983MV027Croft & Associates Pty Ltd & Meredith Walker  Yes
Heritage Study Review, Blue Mountains1992MV027Tropman and Tropman  Yes
Blue Mountains Heritage Register Review1999MV027Jack, R. I. for University of SydneyRIJ & PH Yes
Technical Audit BM Heritage Register2008MV027Blue Mountains City CouncilCity Planning Branch No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenDavies, Paul1978A History of New South Wales Railway Architecture 1890-1915
WrittenSingleton, C. C.1949Australasian Railway and Locomotive Historical Society Bulletin, Vol 23, 143, September

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1170212


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.