Heritage

Lisgar Gardens

Item details

Name of item: Lisgar Gardens
Type of item: Landscape
Group/Collection: Parks, Gardens and Trees
Category: Planting groups
Primary address: 23, 35X Lisgar Road, Hornsby, NSW 2077
Local govt. area: Hornsby
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
23, 35X Lisgar RoadHornsbyHornsby  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Beautifully maintained cultural garden of extensive varieties of Camellias. Dates from 1917 and is situated in natural bushland surrounding. Of regional significance.
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Branch intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Physical description: Situated on a steep south sloping hillside above Waitara Creek and devoted to Camellias. The mature Camellias are up to 5 metres high and are set out in terraces. Features include finely built dry sandstone retaining walls and fine sandstone fishponds. There are numerous winding paths small bridges and waterfalls. Restored and reopened in 1968. A bush house and gazebo have been added recently. A mature Cypress at the eastern end of the main terrace (15m high) probably dated from 1920/30#s as well as a mature Magnolia to 14m. The gardens are set in a bushland background of Hawkesbury sandstone vegetation which extends in to Florence Park. There are fine natural sandstone ledges and cliffs. Notable indigenous trees include mature Sydney Peppermint Stringybark and Smooth Bark Angophora Note: The location of the water pump creates a disturbing noise. #The Glade# with roof and walls of artificial shade cloth is not sympathetic to the period character - palm branches etc. would be more appropriate.

History

Historical notes: Lisgar Gardens were created in 1917 by Dr Max Cotton and are mainly devoted to Camellias of which Cotton planted 72 varieties. The fine sandstone walls and fishponds are said to have taken two stonemasons two years to build. The gardens were restored and opened by Hornsby Council in 1968.

Recommended management:


Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  22 Jul 94   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Hornsby Shire Heritage Study1993 Perumal Murphy Wu Pty LtdWA No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1780679


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Branch or respective copyright owners.