Heritage

Sacred Heart Church

Item details

Name of item: Sacred Heart Church
Type of item: Built
Primary address: 1186 Pacific Highway, Pymble, NSW 2073
Local govt. area: Ku-Ring-Gai
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
     
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
1186 Pacific HighwayPymbleKu-Ring-Gai  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Reasons for listing; historic,cultural, social, architectural, landmark value, state significance
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Branch intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Designer/Maker: Hennessy, Hennessy & Co
Builder/Maker: Welch Bros
Construction years: 1934-
Physical description: A well rendered example of Spanish Mission, widely popular as a domestic style but rare in public buildings. The Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church is an important focal point in the Municipality because of its location on Pymble Hill - a very well known landmark. The Church is viewed travelling both north and south along the Pacific Highway where, because of the curve in the road, it constitutes the terminating point of the axial vista (National Trust). Cream stucco church and bell tower. Pitched cordova church roof with tiled gables and hipped cordova roof on bell tower. Buttressed exterior walls. Yellow pre-cast Corinthian columns with detailing and ornamentation above the surrounding entrance doors. Black wrought iron slit window grille and tower cross. Low sandstone wall and black wrought iron gateways along the Pacific Highway, frontage of Church and Presbytery. Interior walls halfbrick and stucco. Exposed beams with painted inlaid effect. Timbered floor and Spanish arch above marble altar. Spanish lanterns suspended from beams. Timbered choir loft and stairway (National Trust).
Modifications and dates: Substantially intact

History

Historical notes: On the 17th June, 1883, the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church was opened on Pymble Hill. This church was built from locally quarried sandstone and was demolished shortly before the present Church was erected. On June 9 1907 , a Presbytery Foundation Stone was laid by Cardinal Moran and the Presbytery opened later that year. A new church was built on the same site in 1934, the foundation stone being set by Michael Kelly, D.D (Archbishop of Sydney) June 10, 1934 (National Trust). Historical period: 1921-1940.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  04 Nov 89   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Ku-ring-gai Heritage Study198716:096Robert Moore, Penelope Pike and Helen ProudfootSB Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written  Local History Sources
Written  Bld. Jan 12, 1935 National Trust Listing Proposal Thorne, L "North Shore Sydney" KMC, "Ku-ring-gai"

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1880381


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Branch or respective copyright owners.