|Historical notes: ||The villas were built as part of the redevelopment of this area from large villa allotments to suburban allotments during the 1870's - 80's.
History of 'Tasma', 25 Palace St, Petersham
The property comprises Lots 11 and 12which were transferred from the Wardell Estate to David Williams and John Blamire on 25 January, 1884. Williams and Blamire are both described by title deeds as Petersham builders. A number of mortgages were subsequently listed against the title. Williams and Blamire further subdivided the two allotments and began selling individual lots in September 1884. The first lot sold was Lot 3, the subject property. Lot 3, comprising 19 perches, was conveyed to Herbert Clinch on 9 September, 1884.
The reserve for a laneway from Croydon Street provides rear lane access for all the properties and was required for the removal of night soil.
The first listing for the subject property in John Sands Suburban Directory occurs in 1886. The listing is for the owner Herbert Clinch and the villa’s name is given as Tasma. Herbert Clinch had been listed by earlier Directories as residing in Palace Street at Zanobi, the villa now No. 21 Palace Street.
Interestingly, the builder, J. Blamire is listed as a house and land agent in Palace Street, beyond the railway tine, in this year.
The two villas to either side of No. 25 Petersham Street appear in Sands Directory at around the same time. This, combined with physical examination, suggests that the three villas, now Nos. 21, 23 and 25 Palace Street, were constructed by Blamire and Williams. The three properties share common details and a front fence; Nos. 23 and 25 Palace Street have a common footprint.
The above information from Sands Directoiy indicates a construction date for the villa now No. 25 Palace Street of 1885 or in the immediately preceding years. This places the villa firmly within the pattern of villa residences that appeared along the high ridges of the Parramatta line during the mid to late Victorian period.
At the time that Tasma was constructed, Palace Street was a prestigious address. Nearby lot 1, site of the villa Zanobi, had been sold to Percy Hordern, of the retailing Anthony Hordern family, in February 1885. Hordern was later alderman and Mayor of Petersham Council. A second prominent resident of Palace Street during the 1880s was G.W. Griffin, American Consul from 1884 to 1891.
The Sands Directory listing for 1886 indicates that Mrs. B. Clinch was in residence at Tasma in this year. Two years later, on 21 April, 1888, the property was transferred to Agnes Jasmine Murray, a Stanmore widow, and Robert John Murrary. Following Agnes’ death, Robert became the sole owner (registered 1903). An interest in the property was transferred to Percy William Murrary, Esquire, of Canley Vale in 1902. The Murrarys do not appear to have occupied the villa. The Sands Directories listing for 1888 to 1890 is for Mrs. Mary Hamilton, from 1891-1 892 for Thomas J. Chariton, in 1893, Mrs. C. Richardson and from 1894-1903 F. Clark.
The first available footprint for buildings in Palace Street dates from around this time. This survey plan was produced by the NSW Lands Department in 1890 and was most likely carried out in relation to the provision of sewerage and water supply.
The three villas Nos. 21, 23 and 25 Palace Street are clearly visible. Nos. 23 and 25 have an identical footprint. This form- the asymmetrical body of the villa with attached rear wing- is common to buildings of this size and period. The attached wing provided the necessary service areas. To the rear of the yards can be seen the outhouse, with immediate access to the night soil lane. The neighbouring semis, Nos. 27 and 29 Palace Street, have not yet been constructed.
On 8 September, 1902, the property was conveyed to Sydney auctioneer John Ewing. John Ewing is listed in Sands Directories at the subject property from 1904 to 1911.
The property was conveyed to Mary Maddison, wife of Petersham contractor George Maddison, on 23 November, 1910. It would again appear to have been tenanted, with Sands Directories listing the following occupants for the period to 1932-3, the year when the Directory was last published:
1912-1914: Henry Roberts.
1915-1917: Ernest Boyne.
1918-1 927: John McEncroe.
1928-1932/3: Mrs. M. Jones.
By this time, Petersham Municipality could boast a population of around 32,000 people within 5,388 private dwellings.
Change in Petersham and the Use of the Villa as a Boarding House
In May 1959, the propnetors of the subject property were registered as being Edith Maddison (of Petersham, spinster) and Francis Alice Dwyer, a Petersham widow.39 The property was conveyed soon after, on 24 August, 1959, to Paddington Real Estate Agent, Richard Joseph De Bono and his wife, Therese, as joint tenants.
The wider area of Petersham had undergone significant changes during the long period when the Maddison’s had owned No. 25 Palace Street. The municipality had been subsumed during this period, becoming part of the Municipality of Marrickville (1949). While Petersham itself had remained largely residential in character, the small scale industries that had been established in nearby Marrickville as the municipality continued to grow. These industries, combined with the advent of the Garden Suburb movement, resulted in an exodus of those with means out of the older city suburbs. Petersham gradually develop a lower socio-economic base. Some of the formerly grand villas and mansions were converted into institutions, residential flats and boarding houses. No. 25 Palace Street formed part of this pattern.
On 29 June, 1961, No. 25 Palace Street was conveyed to Kurrajong orchardist Gordon Lennox Commens and his wife, Shirley Anne, as joint tenants.41 Council records indicate an application for use as a boarding house and for alterations to the value of £1,200 in this year.
On 20 February, 1973, No. 25 Palace Street was conveyed to chef John Ross McBurnie Ewen and Lorraine Jean Cross, both of Kingsgrove, as joint tenants.43 The property was conveyed to Petersham plasterer Manuel Dias De Carvalho and his wife, Arminda De Jesus Des Santos De Carvalho, as joint tenants, on 18 January, 1974.” Council records indicate several applications to Council reIatin to a 1987 Building Application for a garage, store and laundry to the rear. There is an existing garage and store (office) building to the rear of the villa and a laundry attached to the villa.
Following his wife’s death in November 1990, Manuel became the sole owner, reqistered November 1994. Manuel was occupying the house at this time. The property was transferred to the current owner, Trina Maria Edwards on 4 June, 2005.