Christ Church Anglican Church and Hall | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Christ Church Anglican Church and Hall

Item details

Name of item: Christ Church Anglican Church and Hall
Other name/s: Religion; St George North Anglican Church
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church Hall
Primary address: 1A-1B-1C Dunmore Street North, Bexley, NSW 2207
Parish: St George
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Rockdale
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
1A-1B-1C Dunmore Street NorthBexleyRockdaleSt GeorgeCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

Established at the time of the coming of the railway the church provides evidence of the impact of the subsequent population growth in late 19th century Bexley. The church and hall are historically significant as being associated with the establishment of the Anglican church in Bexley. The church is associated with local identity, philanthropist and undertaker, Henry Kinsela. A prominent grouping of church buildings in Forest Road representative of the Anglican religion in Rockdale.
Date significance updated: 17 Aug 10
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Division intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Construction years: 1887-
Physical description: A Gothic style rendered and painted brick church with fine stained glass windows. Altered and extended in 1930 when a single central aisle replaced the original side aisles traditional to Anglican churches. The original building is at the rear, it is a lower building with a roof that indicates a plan with side aisles. The later building faces Dunmore Street frontage and has a higher roof that is slate with gablet ventilators. The lancet windows in the more recent building were made to match the original.

Also on the site is a brick hall which was opened in 1918. The brickwork is decorative and the roof clad in Marseilles tiles. It has face brick buttressed walls, rough sandstone lintels and timber windows with semi lancet tops. Rose window with coloured glass.
The pipe organ was built by J.W. Walker in 1858.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Both the church and hall are in good condition.
Date condition updated:24 Jun 10
Modifications and dates: The church was soundproofed in circa 2000 as part of the Sydney Airport Noise Control Programme.
1A Dunmore Street - BA-1993/482 OUTBUILDING GARAGE CLASS 10
Current use: Church
Former use: Church

History

Historical notes: The land on which this Church is built was first granted to James Chandler on the 19th October 1831 by Governor Brisbane (1300 acres).The land was first auctioned as the Ocean View Estate on the third March 1883.
The opening of the railway in 1884 and the subsequent increase of population lead to a number of churches being established at the end of the 19th century and early 20th century. The result was that Presbyterian and Anglican churches were built in Bexley in 1887.p57 Geeves and Jervis
The church was built circa 1886/1887 and the hall in circa 1918. The foundation stone of the hall was laid by the Archbishop of Sydney.
A patron of the church was Henry Kinsela, a wealthy landowner in the 19th century who built a property called "Kinsel Grove" where he developed a horse stud farm. He was a well known identity and philanthropist in local charities. He is buried in a family vault at St Georges and his generosity is commemorated in a memorial window and tablet at the church. P 74 Geeves and Jervis
St George North Anglican Church is located in the suburbs of Carlton, Bexley and Bexley North in the St George Area of Sydney.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship On the urban Fringe - Facilities-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Established at the time of the coming of the railway the church provides evidence of the impact of the subsequent population growth in late 19th century Bexley.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The church and hall are historically significant as being associated with the establishment of the Anglican church in Bexley. The church is associated with local identity, philanthropist and undertaker, Henry Kinsela.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The church is aesthetically significant as a visually prominent building in Forest Road.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The church most likely has significance for its congregation.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
There is potential for the location of burials on the site.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Does not meet this criteria
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The church group is representative of religious facilities in Rockdale.
Integrity/Intactness: Both buildings are relatively intact.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  25 Aug 00 109 
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Rockdale Heritage Study199126Meredith Walker and Terry Kass  No
Rockdale Heritage Inventory Review2010 Louise Thom  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2330201


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.