Commercial Building (147-151 Broadway) Including Interior | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Commercial Building (147-151 Broadway) Including Interior

Item details

Name of item: Commercial Building (147-151 Broadway) Including Interior
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Commercial
Category: Commercial Office/Building
Primary address: 147-171 Broadway, Ultimo, NSW 2007
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
147-171 BroadwayUltimoSydney  Primary Address
147-151 BroadwayUltimoSydney  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

Fine example of a late Victorian Italianate commercial building, which incorporates unusual high Victorian style "Venetian" fenestration, which forms part of a significant streetscape. It dates from an early period of the development of Broadway and it was retained during the slum clearance of the Athlone Place resumptions in 1906-1909.
Date significance updated: 16 Jul 10
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Division intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Physical description: Three storey Victorian Italianate style commercial building.

Has cement rendered finish and elaborated "Venetian" window details. The upper floor has paired arched windows with rendered trims. The roof level parapet has a central curved pediment and balustrade sections. The shop fronts have been restored and early corporation style awning has been conserved..
Modifications and dates: The rear wings have been demolished as apart of the Quadrant on Broadway development
Further information: Further historical research is required to date the terrace

Heritage Inventory sheets are often not comprehensive, and should be regarded as a general guide only. Inventory sheets are based on information available, and often do not include the social history of sites and buildings. Inventory sheets are constantly updated by the City as further information becomes available. An inventory sheet with little information may simply indicate that there has been no building work done to the item recently: it does not mean that items are not significant. Further research is always recommended as part of preparation of development proposals for heritage items, and is necessary in preparation of Heritage Impact Assessments and Conservation Management Plans, so that the significance of heritage items can be fully assessed prior to submitting development applications.
Current use: Shops
Former use: Shops

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora.

With European Occupation of the Sydney region from 1788, the Cadigal and Wangal people were largely decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today.

The land was part of a grant to the Clergy Schools Land Corporation in the 1820s. By the 1850s the area had developed a mixture of residential and industrial uses, including slaughterhouses, distilleries and sugar mills. The pollution caused by industry, combined with the frequent flooding of Blackattle creek lead to the area around Athlone Place ( now Mountain Street) being resumed by Council and most buildings demolished in tehperiod 1906-1909. The subject building was one of a small number of buildings that survived the resumption demolitions.

No 147 Broadway was occupied by DJ Williams, chemist and dentist, and the offices of the Chemist Co-operative Co of NSW from 1907 to 1917. After 1917 the Pharmacy was run by Cecil Luber under the Williams name and after 1919 the office of the Australian Pharmacy Co. In 1921 and 1922 , Dr O. Arnold, Physician and surgeon also operated from t his address and in 1931 JM Faine, a Chemist was also listed at this address with Cecile Luber, Chemist. In 1932 the shop had changed to Barnett's Shoe Store.

No 149 was occupied by Miss Gertrude Bogis, Milliner from 1907 until 1910 and from 1911 to 1932 by Ernest Bogis, Milliner.

No 151 was occupied by Alfred Woodhill a confectioner between 1907 and 1910 and then the business was taken over for a short time by Mrs. H Webking. In 1913 Reid and Co had temporarily established a House Furnishing showroom which continued to operate in adjoining premises after 1914. George George started a new confectioner's business in the shop in 1914 and this was taken over by S Simons in 1915. Lum Chong is listed there as a fruiterer in 1916 and ED Riley a confectioner in 1917. In 1918 JJ Quinn a picture framer is listed. In 1920 Madame Rosie Albert, a draper, commenced business in the premises and continued there until 1928 when the Parisian Model House Gown Co was established there. The building appears to have been vacant in 1930-32.

The building was restored as part of the Quadrant on Broadway Development c 2002.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The building dates from an early period of the development of Broadway and it was retained during the slum clearance of the Athlone Place resumptions in 1906-1909.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Fine example of a late Victorian Italianate commercial building, which incorporates unusual high Victorian style "Venetian" fenestration, which forms part of a significant streetscape.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The building is not rare.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Representative example of a late Victorian Italianate commercial building found in inner Sydney
Integrity/Intactness: Façade is largely intact
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The building should be retained and conserved. A Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement, or a Conservation Management Plan, should be prepared for the building prior to any major works being undertaken. There shall be no vertical additions to the building and no alterations to the façade of the building other than to reinstate original features. The principal room layout and planning configuration as well as significant internal original features including ceilings, cornices, joinery, flooring and fireplaces should be retained and conserved. Any alterations should be confined to the areas of less significance, should not be visibly prominent and shall be in accordance with the relevant planning controls External signage is to be in accordance with the Signage Strategy prepared by NBRS and Partners for the Broadway buildings of the Quadrant on Broadway development.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanSydney LEP 2012I201014 Dec 12   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
South Sydney Heritage Study1993 Tropman & Tropman Architects  Yes
Broadway/Mountain Street Redevelopment Site Heritage Assessment and Policies1998 NBRS&P Architects  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAnita Heiss Aboriginal People and Place, Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2420511


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.