Heritage

St. Catherine's School & Grounds

Item details

Name of item: St. Catherine's School & Grounds
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Education
Category: School - Private
Primary address: Macpherson Street, Waverley, NSW 2024
Parish: Alexandria
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Waverley
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Macpherson StreetWaverleyWaverleyAlexandriaCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

One of the oldest surviving buildings in the Waverley Council area. Despite alterations and additions, appears to retain much of its original fabric. Also continues to exhibit its original Georgian character. Part of the historic school grouping. Associations with Bishop Broughton and early parochial education for young women. Grounds of landscape interest. Cultural planting of major streetscape value at an important intersection. Regional significance.
Date significance updated: 05 Feb 00
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Branch intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Construction years: 1915-1945
Physical description: Georgian style stone building. Quite early, with later second and third storeys. Modern extension at side. Simple timber verandah to original building, with skillion roof balcony above. Balcony area now enclosed. Third storey in deep grooved, ashlar coursed render. Concrete tiled roof with cordoba tiled ridge capping. Fenestration in traditional Georgian proportions. Enjoys elevated site. Now has new entry stairs and gateway to street. Incorporates original foundation stones. Well planted on street frontage. Timber and iron building adjoining, difficult to see from street but clearly pre-1900. The site commands a view over the Pacific Ocean. Impressive group of trees on south-west corner of site. Provides a strong visual focus for the surrounding area, and the adjacent arterial roads. Significant trees on this corner include two Moreton Bay figs, 16m high by 25m spread, possibly from c.1900. Lombardy Poplar (to 16m high) and English Oak. Radiata pine and Coral tree (to 12m high), from c. 1960. A semi-mature bank of trees extends along the southern boundary. Includes Port Jackson figs, ornamental Olives and Camphor laurels, to 9m high, above a long stone retaining wall 2m high. A tall Canary Island palm (possibly from c.1900) has been incorporated into a small planting area on the street corner. A memorial to Faith Patterson, a former teacher at the school.
Current use: School and grounds
Former use: School and grounds

History

Historical notes: St Catherine's was originally a school for the daughters of the Anglican clergy. Foundation stone for this building laid by Bishop Barker in 1857. Opened in 1859. Refurbished and added to a number of times since (1886, 1935-36). Third storey was originally face brick.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
6. Educating-Educating Education-Activities associated with teaching and learning by children and adults, formally and informally. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item is of cultural significance
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
This item is of streetscape/landscape significance
Integrity/Intactness: Substantially intact
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  06 Dec 96   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Waverley Heritage Study1990L51/0190Perumal Murphy Pty Limited  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2620351


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Branch or respective copyright owners.