Heritage

St. Mary's Anglican Church & Grounds

Item details

Name of item: St. Mary's Anglican Church & Grounds
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Primary address: 240 Birrell Street, Waverley, NSW 2024
Parish: Alexandria
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Waverley
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
240 Birrell StreetWaverleyWaverleyAlexandriaCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

One of Edmund Blacket's earlier churches. Both modest and attractive, and essentially intact. Of considerable historical interest. One of the oldest buildings in the Waverley Council area. Notable for its association with Bishop Barker and important local families. Sited on the highest point in Waverley and set in attractive garden surrounds. Local significance.
Date significance updated: 07 Feb 00
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Branch intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Construction years: 1851-1890
Physical description: Impressive stone church in Ecclesiastical Gothic style. Long nave with chancel, vestry and two side porches. Dressed sandstone with concrete tiled roof (originally shingled). Paired lancet windows between buttresses. Stained glass with label moulds over. Good belfry above western parapet gable. Generally in good condition. It appears little of the original landscape features remain from the Victorian period. Possibly the driveway layout is original (now concreted). An impressive grey sandstone wall along Birrell Street frontage exists, possibly from c.1925. The bank of hydrangeas along the southern wall of the church probably dates from the same period. Mature Canary island palms, near adjacent former Church Hall and within grounds. Notable landscape elements to about 13m high, probably from c.1920. The central lawn is of buffalo grass. Traditional central and edge bordering flower beds. A columbabium (c.1970) exists on the north side of the church, screened by a mature cypress possibly from c.1920.
Current use: Church and grounds
Former use: Church and grounds

History

Historical notes: Built on a 0.4 hectare site donated by TD Edwards. Part of original grant to B Levey. Foundation stone laid and consecrated by Bishop Barker on 19 May 1964. Designed by Edmund Blacket and built by W Bailey. The original design envisaged a tower and spire, never built. Porches and organ chamber were added in 1872. Replaced an earlier church.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item is of cultural significance
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
This item is of landmark and streetscape/landscape significance
Integrity/Intactness: Altered sympathetically
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan  06 Dec 96   
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Waverley Heritage Study1990L31/0038Perumal Murphy Pty Limited  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2620371


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Branch or respective copyright owners.