All Saints Anglican Church -(Full LEP listing - Description in Further Comments) | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

All Saints Anglican Church -(Full LEP listing - Description in Further Comments)

Item details

Name of item: All Saints Anglican Church -(Full LEP listing - Description in Further Comments)
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Primary address: 85 Ocean Street, Woollahra, NSW 2025
Local govt. area: Woollahra
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
85 Ocean StreetWoollahraWoollahra  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Building,contents including organ are classified by the National Trust .A separate classification for the organ has been made. In Professor Joan Kerr words, Blacket's "...great designs in this cumulative personal style must be accepted as amongst the short list of Australian architectural masterpieces: ...The tall interior and east end of Woollahra is therefore its greatest glory a perfect witness to Victorian taste. It is Blacket's most fully-realized French Geometric Gothic Style of church. "p6&p56, Edmund T. Blacket Architect, Sydney. Our Great Victorian Architect Edmund Thomas Blacket (1817-1883) Joan Kerr.
Date Significance Updated: 10 Feb 98
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed on the State Heritage Register. The Heritage Office intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance for these items as resources become available.
Date significance updated: 25 Mar 04
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Edmund Blacket
Builder/Maker: Builder
Construction years: 1876-1882
Physical description: Sandstone masonry with an aisled nave, small transepts and the santuaryin an apse at the East end . The roof structure comprises timber hammer beam trusses, purlins, common rafters, boarding and slates. The west end and stub tower are later additions to the building.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The first stage of All Saints Church was opened on January 8, 1876, free of debt at a cost of about five thousand three hundred pounds. Tenders were called for the completion of the building in 1880 which was finished late in 1882. Date Condition Updated: 05 Feb 98
Date condition updated:25 Mar 04
Modifications and dates: The ladies of the parish made themselves responsible for the provision of an organ. The organ was probably used for the first time on 3 or 10 of February 1883 but it was used publicly on 7th April.
Further information: Full LEP description - All Saints Anglican Church - church, grounds, front garden, retaining wall and fencing

History

Historical notes: The first stage of All Saints' Church was opened on January 8, 1876, free of debt at a cost of about five thousand three hundred pounds. . Tenders were called for the completion of the building in 1880 which was finished late in 1882.

The organ in All Saints is one of three 3-manual instruments built by Messrs Forster and Andrews of Hull ,England between 1881 and 1884 for buildings designed by Edmund Blacket. The first was for the University of Sydney(1881),the second All Saints Woollahra and then S.Saviour's Anglican Cathedral, Goulburn (1884).
Several smaller instruments were imported from this firm but the cost associated with their superior workmanship seems to have mitigated against larger numbers coming to this country. The ladies of the parish made themselves responsible for the provision of an organ and from the minutes of the Easter meeting of 11 April 1882 "the incumbnet reported on behalf of the Organ Fund Committee that a contract had been entered into for the making of the Organ according to a specification 1050 pounds, and been promised, he suggested that a further sum of 200 pounds should be spent on additional pipes, which sum would make the organ more complete".
The meeting considered the additional pipes unnecessary but when the instrument left Hull on 13 September 1882 those additional pipes came with it! The final cost of the instrument was1250 pounds with a further 250 pounds being for freight and installation. The organ was erected by one or both of the Layton brothers, former employees of the Forster and Andrews, who came to Australia expressly for the purpose.

There is some confusion as to who drew up the specification for the organ. Alfred Hollins, a blind organist of international repute, gave his first recital on this instrument while it was still in the Hull factory. Hollins writes that his teacher, E.J.Hopkins, his teacher and organist of the Temple Church London told him that "he had been asked to draw the specification of an organ for All Saints' Woollahra, Sydney NSW and to certify the instrument before it left his country". On the other hand a contemporary account states that the organ had been built "... from specifications prepared by the late organist of All Saints' ,Mr Thomas Sharp". Considering Sharps short tenure at All Saints ' (his appointment was confirmed on August 3rd 1881; he was asked to resign on May 19th1882 only one month after the parish was informed that a contract for the organ had been let, and finally resigned on the 27th Dec. 1882. It seems more likely Hopkins was responsible for the specification.
The All Saint's Church was mainly paid for by Henry Mort, the brother of Thomas Sutcliffe Mort, as a thanksgiving for the rescue of his wife and child from shipwreak in 1865; as a memorial to his wife, Maria, who died in 1873; and as a church for his clergyman son. Blacket prepared the designs in 1874. Building began at the east end ,so this was the first section drawn up by Blacket, and built before the design of the rest had been fully resolved (like North Sydney).An When the first section was completed in 1876 it comprised: a chancel with one semi-octagonal apse, vestigal transepts expressed as twin porches roofed at aisle level, and two bays of the nave with stone columns in the arcade. The building had three-light windows throughout. A lack of money was probably all that prevented the triple-apse arrangement, although lavish decoration was not omitted because of expense. The cost 5,400 pounds of which Henry Mort gave 3,500 pounds. Kerr p56 .

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanWoollahraLEP 199510 Mar 95 281353
Local Environmental PlanWoollahra LEP 201453723 May 15   
Within a conservation area on an LEPWoollahra HCALEP 199510 Mar 95 28 
Heritage studyWoollahra    

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenJoan Kerr1983Edmund T. Blacket Architect, Sydney. Our Great Victorian Architect Edmund Thomas Blacket (1817-1883)

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2711278


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.