Hillview Garages | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Hillview Garages

Item details

Name of item: Hillview Garages
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Other - Residential Buildings (private)
Primary address: 1334-1340 Pacific Highway, Turramurra, NSW 2074
Parish: Gordon
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ku-Ring-Gai
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
1334-1340 Pacific HighwayTurramurraKu-Ring-GaiGordonCumberlandPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Roads and Maritime ServicesState Government 

Statement of significance:

The Hillview Group, including the original cottage, the c1913 guesthouse, the garages, the stone wall and gates to the Pacific Highway, carriage loop, croquet lawn, terracing and mature landscape setting, is of Local significance. It is an excellent and rare example of a grand private boarding house built in the Upper North Shore following the opening of the railway. Hillview had even greater significance than most boarding or guesthouses in the area given its prominent and very visible position adjacent to the railway line and its spectacular views over the whole of Sydney from the coast to the mountains and south to Botany Bay.

The garages are a significant element in the Hillview Group. They were built by Mr E.S.W. Paul, a Managing Director of Schweppes Limited, to accommodate his Rolls Royce and Chauffeur. They are indicative of the grand stature of the place and the aspirations of its wealthy owner.
The garages have been built to a good design (probably architect designed) with high-quality finishes which are extremely rare for a building of this type, but reflect the quality of finishes in the c1913 guesthouse. The garages are substantially intact, with only minor alterations.
Date significance updated: 14 May 09
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Division intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Builder/Maker: Owner Edmund Sheffield Willoughby Paul
Construction years: 1915-
Physical description: EXTERNAL SURVEY

Generally:
The building is of face brickwork with a glazed terracotta tiled roof. The eaves are boarded with exposed rafters and no fascia boards.

East elevation:
This elevations is symmetrically arranged with six garage doors at ground level, and a central balcony and two large dormer windows at first floor level.

The two central garages have arched heads in a triple course blue brick and hinged ledge, braced and sheeted doors (original). The steel lintels to the brick arches are badly corroded and failing structurally. However, the timber door frames appear to be carrying the load of the wall above. There are cracks in the brick arches.

The northern pair of garages have a straight horizontal rendered lintel over the openings (original) and their original timber roller shutters, in good condition.

The southern pair of garages also have a straight horizontal rendered lintel over the openings. This is original but has been worked on recently. The doors have been replaced by two metal roller shutters, slightly different from one another in design.

An original concrete grate runs along the front of the garages at the edge of the driveway. The metal grating is missing, although a couple of sections are being stored in Garage 2.

Two wall flashings exist over the northern and southern pairs of garages. This appears to be at the change from solid brick construction for the ground floor wall to cavity brick construction for the first floor wall.

The timber balcony over the central two garages is original with steel brackets supporting it off the brick piers below. It is not known if these are original or added at a later date. The balustrade posts are original but the majority of the balustrade has been replaced. The original handrail only exists at the northern and southern ends of the balcony. The original balustrade probably had flat vertical slats as used on the c1913 guest house, but this is difficult to determine from the evidence.

The balcony floor appears to be fibrous cement sheet with a waterproof membrane over.

The central gable over the balcony has a timber shingles above the door head. The eaves are boarded.

The dormer windows have flat metal roofs, fibrous cement sheet linings to their sides and appear to be original.

North elevation:
The north elevation has an asymmetrical jerkin-headed double gable, and a single group of casement windows at first-floor level. This has a double blue brick arched head.

West elevation:
The west elevation, like the east elevation, is generally symmetrical in arrangement with a small extension at the southern end for the stair.

There is a row of single double hung windows at ground floor level, one at the rear of each garage. Each has a double row of blue bricks forming an arched head. Metal bars have been fixed on each window in recent years.

At the first floor level there are two groups of awning windows tucked nearly in under the eaves.

There are original terracotta wall vents a both levels.

South elevation:
The south elevation is asymmetrical with a long raking roof over the stair. The main roof has a jerkin-headed gable to match the north elevation.

An angled brick buttress supports the wall at the eastern end of the stair.

All the openings have double blue brick arched heads.

INTERNAL SURVEY

Garages 1, 3, 5 and 6:
These garages were not surveyed due to lack of access

Garage 2:
Floor - Concrete (original)
Walls - Face brick (original)
Ceiling - Ripple iron with ovolo mould cornice in timber (original)
Other - Original surface mounted metal electrical conduits and one original wall bracket for a light fitting.

Garage 4:
Floor, Walls, Ceiling - Generally as for Garage 2
Other - An original rendered brick pit exists in the centre of the floor. There are four steps down into it, as shown on the survey drawing. This would appear to be a mechanic's pit for working on the underside of a motor car.

Store:
Floor, Walls, Ceiling - Generally as for Garage 2
Ceiling - is the underside of the stair

Stair:
Floor - Concrete, carpeted
Skirting: Timber
Walls - Face brick
Ceiling - Fibrous cement sheet with timber battens (original)
Stair - Timber (original). Handrails recent. Evidence exists of earlier handrails.

Hall:
Floor - Timber, carpeted
Skirting: Wide timber boards (original, c1915-1920)
Walls - Plastered, paint finish. Original decorative plaster vents in western wall.
Ceiling - Fibrous cement sheet with moulded timber battens (original)
Stair - Timber (original). Handrails (c1970s). Evidence of original handrails on walls. Evidence of termite damage in timber boarded wall beside stair over Garage 1.

Room 1:
Floor - Timber, carpeted
Skirting: Wide timber board with large chamfer (original, c1915-1920)
Walls - Plastered, paint finish. Moulded timber picture rail at door head height (original, c1915-1920)
Ceiling - Fibrous cement sheet with moulded timber battens (original, c1915-1920)
Other - Opening in north wall has been reduced in width (c1920s) and later blocked up (c1970s).

Room 2:
Generally as for Room 1.

Room 3:
Generally as for Room 1.
Fireplace: Fireplace is original and fairly intact including cast iron chimney piece. Tiles, cast iron grate, hearth and staff moulds to chimney breast. The cast iron basked an inner grate are missing.
Other: Timber-framed robe with louvered timber doors c1970s.

Room 4:
Generally as for Room 1.
Fireplace: Fireplace is original and fairly intact, as for fireplace in Room 3. Only cast iron basket has been removed.
Other: Robe as for Room 3

Room 5:
Generally as for Room 1.
Other: Robe as for Room 3

Bath:
Floor - Two layers of vinyl floor tiles over timber floor.
Skirting: Vinyl
Walls - 'Versilux' type of wall sheeting over plaster
Ceiling - Fibrous cement sheet with moulded timber battens (original). Timber boarded manhole over shower.
Fitout - Shower, WC and basin c1950s.

Bath:
Floor - Vinyl floor tiles over timber.
Skirting - Wide timber board with chamfer (original) on south and east walls. Narrow board on west wall.
Walls - Plastered, pained. Tiles on wall above sink.
Ceiling - Fibrous cement sheet with moulded timber battens (original).
Fitout - Laminex bench on chrome legs along south and east walls, c1950s. Cupboards etc c1950-1970s. Freestanding oven and hot water system.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Hillview Garages:
Generally the building is in good physical condition. The iron arch bars over the central two garage door openings are badly rusted and no longer function in supporting the brickwork above. As a result the brick arches are taking the full load of the wall above and cracks have developed. New steel arch boards need to be installed to relieve these loads.

A crack has developed at the south-east corner of the building, the cause unknown. The movement in the wall needs to be monitored; the cause investigated by a structural engineer and then the necessary remedial works carried out.

There is evidence of white ant activity in the timber-boarded wall at the top of the stairs. This also needs to be investigated to determine whether there is a live colony of white ants present. Is so this should be treated. Repair work to the damaged areas will need to be carried out.

The existing kitchen and bathroom fitouts were installed c1940-1950s and are very basic. There is little storage availed in the kitchen and the benches are narrow. Generally, the fitouts in these rooms could be upgraded to modern standards.
Further information: Landscape assessment contained in 1997 report.
Current use: Residential buildings and stables currently being used as offices and warehouse.
Former use: Residential and Garages

History

Historical notes: 1.5 HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE PLACE
1.5.1 Boyd's Orchard and Its Subdivision:
In 1832 after serving as a Lieutenant in the Royal Veteran's Corp, Thomas Boyd was granted 100 acres of land in Lace Cove in the Parish of Gordon. He named his property "Toulouse Farm" after the victorious Battle of Toulouse, his last famous engagement in the Napoleonic Wars.

Initially Boyd and his sons cut the timber from his grant for use in the Colony, and then planted an orchard. In 1845 Boyd established a successful timber business in Sussex Street in Sydney.

In 1856, Toulouse Farm was transferred to Thomas Boyd's son James. By the 188-s the farm became known locally as "Boyd's orchard".

The orchard was first subdivided in 1882. However, it would appear that the land did not sell at this time because a new subdivision plan was drawn up in 1884 (see Fig 1.28). Both these plans show the location of Boyd's house and stable adjacent to the Government Road to Kissing Point, which divided his property in two. This would position these buildings where the "Paisley" flats now stand at 4-6 Kissing Point Road.

Ivan Auprince occupied the existing house on Lane Cove Road. It had, and still does have, spectacular views southwards over the North Shore to Sydney and beyond to Botany Bay. Collinridge included illustrations of Ivan Auprince's residence and the view from it in his journal, Progress.

Herman Weise established a store on his land. This may have been no more than a large shed or two as are visible in a photograph of Lane Cove Road taken c1900. A 1902 auction notice also shows a building located on Weise's land in the approximate location of these sheds.

The c1890 photograph of Eastern Road Station also shows a small building with a verandah and hipped roof located on what appears to be Lot 5 of Boyd's estate, (but this is not clear) facing Lane Cove Road. The same building, which is weatherboard with a corrugated iron roof, is also shown in a later photograph of Lane Cove Road.

It is not known who built or occupied this shop in its early years. It predates Herman Weise's purchase of the adjoining land. The only listing included in Sands in the early years of this century on Lane Cove Road between Hillview and Godfrey is Weise's store. It is not known whether Weise used this building or whether it was possibly a real estate sales office for Boyd's estate. Sands lists an estate agent between Weise and Godfrey in 1909 and 1910.

It would appear that Marshall purchased his land with the existing shop, and that Boyles and Humbert did not develop their land. Auprince bought Boyles' lot in 1899.

Lots 6, 7 and 8 of Section 3 of Boyd's estate were refinanced by the Port Jackson Land and Investment Co. Ltd during the 1890s and were not sold until 1901, to F.L Poole and A.L Holmes. It is not clear who built the five houses along Kissing Point Road and the duplex in Boyd Street, or when they were built. However, all existed by 1902. Occupants are shown in al the houses in Sands for 1902, and the buildings are also shown on the 1902 auction notice for the remainder of Boyd's estate.

However, some of the buildings may be pre-1900. Edwards and Berwick, who were listed as occupants by Sands in 1902, are also listed as residents of Turramurra by Collingridge in 1987. It should be noted that Collingridge does not give addresses for the residents and thus this evidence is far from conclusive. The c1900 photograph taken of Lane Cove Road Turramurra, Looking East, shows the house on the corner of Kissing Point Road and Lance Cove Road with a large 'Chemist' sign on its wall. The adjoining house in Kissing Point Road is also shown, both set in semi-mature gardens. It would appear that all the buildings were rented out at this time and were not occupied by the owners. Figure 1.34 shows the occupants of the properties as given in Sands between 1902 and 1932-1933.

In 1902, the Port Jackson Land and Investment Co. Ltd bought the remaining lots of Section 3 of Boyd's Estate and sold Lots 11 to 15 to Ivan Auprince and Lot 10 to Thomasine Loney in the same year.

1.5.2 Hillview: From health Resort to community health resource and information centre
The first mention of Auprince's property being known as Hillview was in 1902. Sands lists Mrs E.Burton as operating the 'Hill View' health resort. It is not known when the place was used in this way, but its location close to the railway station and its wonderful situation on the top of the hill with panoramic views over the North Shore was ideal for this type of use. The first additions to the original cottage, the eastern and western terracotta-block wings, were probably built at about this time in order to provide accommodation for guests. A detailed physical survey of the building would reveal evidence of the various stages of growth in the building. (A survey of the cottage was beyond the scope of this report).

In December 1905, Auprince leased 'house and land including orchard and tennis court' to Jean Murray for a period of two and a half years. The location of the original tennis court is not known. Prior to the expiration of this lease, Auprince sold the property to Edmund Sheffield Willoughby Paul in 1907, in two stages. Paul purchased the southern allotments (Lots 11 to 15) in April and then purchased the northern allotments (Lots 1-3) later in October. In November of 1907, Paul also bought Kit 10 from W.H. Watson.

Miss Murray continued to run the 'Hill View' boarding house until 1913. It has been reported that Miss Murray ran a quality establishment, reputedly serving the 'best table' on the North Shore. The property was self-supporting with vegetable gardens, an orchard, poultry and a cow. These features are clearly visible in a photograph of Hillview taken in 1913. A row of camphor laurels was planted along the western boundary of the site.

By 1914, Miss Murray had moved to the 'Cooinoo' guesthouse on the southern corner of Boyd Street and Kissing Point Road, where she was the proprietor.

In 1913, Paul continued to expand the boundaries of Hillview by purchasing Lots 4 and 9 of Boyd's estate. Photographic evidence suggests that Lots 9 and 10 had remained undeveloped prior to Paul's purchase and that Weise's sheds had been removed from Lot 4 by this time.

In c1913, Paul also built a large two-storey building behind the original cottage. The new building which was oriented away from the street and towards the view provided all the facilities necessary for a quality guesthouse. These included a library, dining room, drawing room, breakfast room, morning room (parlour) and conservatory. A viewing platform over the front porch afforded spectacular views of Sydney. The building boasted high-quality materials and finishes throughout, including marble columns in the entrance hall, quality joinery, hardware, plasterwork, leadlight, fireplaces, and verandahs with detailed timber balustrades.

By 1915, a six-car garage with a flat over head had been built against the western boundary of the property. A red gravel driveway encircled the buildings entering the property adjacent to the original cottage, passing in front of the new guest house, and leading via a gateway to the north of the garages. A stone or terracotta-block wall with a cast iron post and rail fence on top existed along the Lane Cove Road Boundary of the property.

The whole development involved substantial terracing of the site, including a large terraced area to the west of the new building for a croquet lawn. Another substantial embankment existed below the driveway in front of the guest house. A stair was cut into the bank opposite the front door leading down to a large lawn area. A spur of the driveway extended around the western side of this lawn area to Boyd Street, but it appears that it may not have generally been used by vehicles and that there was no access to Boyd Street.

Early alterations and additions to the guesthouse included the construction of a two-storey verandah at the northern end of the east elevation of the building c1915. Other alterations are not known, as a detailed physical survey of the building has not been carried out.

In addition, a rear wing was added to the back of the cottage, c1915, linking the earlier east and west wings and creating an internal court-yard. It included bathrooms, bedrooms and balconies overlooking the view. Again, the finishes were of high quality. Even a sophisticated needle spray shower, imported from France, was installed.

The whole Hillview Guesthouse complex was leased to Philomena Gertrude Haddy from 1915 to 1924. Mr Paul occupied a portion of the guesthouse during this period, as did a Mr William Jamieson J.P (1916-1919). It is reported that Mr Paul then had a row with Miss Haddy c1923-1924 and decided to convert Hillview into flats. Sands has no listing for Hillview in 1925, and a listing for 'Hillview flats' in 1926. Residents of the flats from 1926 to 1932-1933 as listed by Sands are included in Figure 1.34.

During the 1920s through to the 1940s flats were regarded with great suspicion in Ku-ring-gai, threatening 'not only the environmental quality of the suburb, but also its moral tone'. The council had proclaimed 'residential districts', most of which excluded flats, in 1924 and 1930. However, in 1946, with increasing pressure to build flats near railway stations, a number of residential districts allowing this type of development along the highway/railway spine were proclaimed. This responded to the widening of Pacific Highway, transforming it from a local road to a major highway. The move towards allowing for higher density use was seen 'both as a means of compensating owners for loss of road frontage, and as an alternative to commercial 'ribbon development'.

Substantial alterations were carried out to both the original cottage and the c19136 building at the time. The cottage was converted to four flats, while the c1913 building contained three flats. Mr Paul occupied Flat 5, which comprised the front rooms of the guesthouse building on all three levels overlooking the view of Sydney. Flat 8 was over the garages.

A two-storey addition was constructed on the eastern side of the c1913 building, replacing the former conservatory with the balcony over. It featured groups of double-hung windows and fibrous cement sheet panels between brick piers.

In 1924 Mr Paul visited the Schweppes Burma Pavilion at the British Empire Exhibition, Wembley. Paul acquired the pavilion and had it shipped to Australia in 1927 and erected in the RAS showground in Sydney. Unfortunately the Pavilion burnt down in 1946. The gates however, which were of the same carved timber as the pavilion, were erected in the grounds of Hillview to the north of the garages, and have since passed to one of Paul's Threlfall descendants.

Mr Paul also purchased in England two sets of wrought iron gates for erection at Hillview. These consisted of two pairs of vehicular gates and two pedestrian gates and were made with no welded joints at Brierley Hill. A new sandstone wall was erected along the Lane Cove Road boundary of the property and the gates hung between tall stone piers. The wall was topped by iron chains hanging between the lions' heads. The date of construction is not known, but the wall certainly existed prior to the widening of the Pacific Highway in 1935-1936 and presumably before notification of the proposed road widening. The gates were painted black with some of the detail done in gold leaf. In 1935-1936, the DMR resumed a portion of land along the northern boundary of Hillview and relocated about half the length of the wall and the eastern gates to the new boundary.

During the 1920s-1930s the eastern portion of the site, which had initially been used for vegetable gardens, chook runs and cow pasture was terraced. Rockeries of semi-circular sandstone garden beds stepped down the hill and were interspersed with grass embankments, terraces and paths. Stone stairs connected the various levels and lead down to a lawn tennis court in the bottom south-east corner of the site.

The grassed embankment between the large house and the croquet lawn was also developed as rockeries at this time.

A laundry was built on the eastern boundary of the site, where the chook runs were formerly located. A tall lattice enclosure surrounded the laundry and drying yard.

Mr Paul's sister, Rosalie Threlfall, came to live with him at Hillview c1930 until she died in 1935. In 1937, Mrs Threlfall's son and his family moved into Flat 7. This was located on the first floor at the rear of the c1913 building. At that time, Paul employed two housekeepers and two gardeners, including Mr Walter Ludwig, who also acted as his chauffeur.

Mr Paul owned two Rolls Royce cars, a 1921 Silver Ghost and a 1928 Phantom I, and an Austin which were housed in the northern-most garages. Two of the garages were used for storage of gardening equipment and other equipment such as new ladders. After the war, the sixth garage was used by Mr Paul's nephew for his car.

During the 1930s, Paul built a cottage at the northern end of Lot 9 of the estate, near the garages. This cottage and some outbuildings are shown on the MWS&DB 1959 plan of the site and in the 1965 council photos. This accommodated Paul's caretaker/gardener/chauffeur. Mr Ludwig, who had worked as a gardener at Hillview from 1927, moved into the gardener's cottage with his family after WWII.

During the late 1930s, Mr Paul employed an artist friend called Wolinski to paint the detailed plaster ceilings in the dining room and hall of Flat 5 Wolenski also painted the gates.

In February 1942, during the war, Paul moved the Schweppes office to the front cottage at Hillview. An air raid shelter was dug in the area known as 'the paddock' (lot 9), near the gardener's cottage. Michael Threlfall wrote: 'Because of the clay ground, as soon as it rained, the shelter filled with water and remained that way until it was eventually filled in'.

Sandbags were piled high to protect the c1913 building.

Mr Paul died at home in 1951 after a long illness. Although Mr Paul wanted Hillview to become a hospital for war veterans, inadequacies in his will led to it being declared invalid, and his estate passed to his nephew Martin Threlfall and his sister Miss Annie Paul. In 1952, Hillview was put up for auction, but was passed in. Martyn Threlfall accepted the property as his share of the estate.

In 1955, Ku-ring-gai Municipal Council approved subdivision of the Hillview land into six allotments. Lot 6 of DP 26828, which included the garages, was zoned for county road. Prior to his death in 1966, Martyn Threlfall attempted to have Ku-ring-gain Municipal Council make a decision on the zoning of Lot 5, which included the original cottage and the c1913 building. However, this was not forthcoming.

In 1963-1964, the two residential blocks at the south-eastern corner of the site facing Boyd Street were sold, and two houses were built. The house at 18 Boyd Street was built by John Fahey on the former tennis court belonging to Hillview. However, the line of the court is still clearly visible with its retaining walls, rockeries and drains, having been substantially retained. In addition to the rockeries, grass embankments and stone stairs leading down to the court are still substantially intact in the rear gardens of both houses, even if somewhat overgrown.

A series of photographs taken by Ku-ring-gain Municipal Council of Hillview c1965 show a well maintained estate. The lawns, including the steep embankments, are well mown, the camphor laurel hedges are clipped (pollarded) and a clipped hedge is being maintained at the northern end of the croquet lawn. The buildings appear to be in good condition, although the viewing platform over the entrance porch of the c1913 building has been removed. The platform had been very exposed to the weather and had probably been in poor condition by this time. In addition, the balcony over the front porch had been enclosed by large sliding windows.

Lot 4 of the new subdivision, 6 Boyd Street, appears to have been developed as flats during the 1970s. However the fate of the Hillview Flats had still not been determined. The council had rejected proposals for the place to be developed as home units. Mrs Threlfall vacated the property in 1973, and in 1974, Ku-ring-gai Municipal Council purchased Hillview for $315,000. By this time the condition of the building and garden had deteriorated.

Howard Tanner, Architect, took a series of photographs of the buildings at this time recording details such as the stairs, leadlight windows, mosaic tiles, fireplaces, ceilings, door hardware and bathroom fittings. These are included in Appendix E of this report.

The property was tenanted on a short-term basis by both council employees and others, pending a decision on its fate, whether it be for units or townhouses, or for community purposes. It became a major white elephant for the council. In December 1977, Hornsby Ku-ring-gai District Hospital leased the property for a term of five years. By this time the buildings and grounds had become extremely run down.

Using funds raised by the combined Rotary Clubs of Ku-ring-gai, the hospital carried out a refurbishment of the buildings prior to the occupation. This included general repairs, the upgrading of bathroom facilities (thus early bath and shower fittings were removed), the replacement of the leadlight in the front door and stair hall windows in the c1913 building with clear glass, the removal of early fireplace grates and the blocking up of most fireplaces.

The flat over the garages may have been altered about this time also, with wardrobes built in and the panel doors replaced with flush doors. The bathroom and kitchen were probably refitted prior to this, possibly by the Threlfalls or their tenants.

Apart from these changes, the buildings remained substantially intact. The property became known as the Hillview Community Health Resource and Information Centre.

In 1980, the Hospital bought Hillview from the council for $345,000, again with funds raised by local donations. Prior to this sale the council removed the wrought iron gates from the two Pacific Highway entrances, because the openings were narrow and the gates were getting damaged. The intermediate stone pillars were also removed.

In 1986, the gates were returned to the site following restoration and were erected in a 'screened close' designed by B.D Jessup, a local architect.

In 1994, substantial alterations were made to the original cottage. These included the raising of the floor level of the five main spaces in the building by approximately 50mm to a unified level, the alteration, enlargement, or relocation of some internal openings, the replacement of a previous unsympathetic covered walkway with the current stepped flat-roofed timber structure and replacement of the original mosaic tiles in the front and side porches.

1.5.3 Subdivision and development of the Kissing Point Road and Boyd Street Allotments
The houses along Kissing Point Road and the duplex in Boyd Street were gradually sold to individual owners from 1903. Figure 1.49 shows the subdivision of these allotments carried out at this time. Figure 1.34 shows the occupants of the houses as listed in Sands, 1902 to 1932-1933.

The three Hurst sisters purchased the house on the corner of Kissing Point Road and Boyd Street in 1903, and named it Mayfield. The Hursts occupied the house from this time until at least 1932-1933. Beyond this date the history of the property is not known, except that it remains as a private residence today.

Florence Margaret Godfrey purchased the house and chemist shop on the corner of Kissing Point Road and Lance Cove Road in 1908. However, the Godfrey's had occupied the house and operated the chemist shop from at least as early as 1902. The Godfrey's also became long term residents of the street, continuing their occupation until at least 1932-1933. It would appear that others did rent the property for short periods from 1913 to 1914 and in 1917, and that from 1924, the dentist, Dr E.H Bestic shared the premises with the Godfreys. It is not know when the chemist shop and dental surgery were closed, but the building remains as a residence with little external change.

The middle house, a weatherboard cottage at 4 Kissing Point Road, was used as a preparatory school by Miss E.A Boylon between 1902 and 1908. Then it was purchased by the Valentines who named it Mokoan and lived there until at least 1932-1933. This cottage together with the adjoining one at No. 6, were demolished c1970s to make way for flats.

M.J. McKune purchased the duplex in Boyd Street in 1909. The duplex had many occupants up to 1932-1933. However, Sands indicates that Mrs E.L Warburton lived in the weatherboard cottage at 6 Kissing Point Road from 1919 to 1932-1933 and that A. Brown occupied 'Poizers', 2 Kissing Point Road, from 1925 to 1932-1933.

The cottages in this Kissing Point Road and Boyd Street development changed very little until the 1970s. A 1955 plan drawn by the MWS&DB shows the footprints of the buildings, and also indicates the materials of construction and fence lines at that time. A series of photographs taken by Ku-ring-gai Municipal Council c1965 supports this plan and shows the two weatherboard cottages later demolished for the 'Paisley' flats.

1.5.4 Lane Cove Road (Pacific Highway) Shops
The portion of Boyd's estate facing Lane Cove Road remained relatively undeveloped for many years following the sale of the land in 1893. It was not until c1910 that at two storey brick building containing a pair of shops and residence over was built. The building included a pair of bronze and leadlight shop fronts facing the street (one which is still extant), with a verandah over the full width of the footpath. This is shown clearly in a photograph taken of Lane Cove Road, c1910-1915. An earlier weatherboard shop (discussed in Section 1.5.1 above) is also shown on the adjoining land.

The weatherboard shop remained until the mid-1930s, when the Pacific Highway was widened and the existing bank building was constructed. The bank was a two-storey rendered brick structure built in the Art Deco style for the Commonwealth Bank of Australia.

It is probable that it was about the time of the Pacific Highway widening in 1936 that the Federation-style shops lost their wide verandah. It was replaced with the current awning.

The occupants of the shops along Lane Cove Road as listed in Sands between 1902 and 1932-1933 are shown in Fig 1.34. It should be noted that Sands does not give street numbers for these buildings until 1932-1933. Thus, the list of occupants for 1356-1360 Pacific Highway may not be accurate for the earlier years of this century. It has been assumed that more than one business may have operated from one premises (eg the chemist shop may have acted as an agent for the Government Savings Bank, and F.A Rose may have lived above the chemist shop).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
5. Working-Working Labour-Activities associated with work practises and organised and unorganised labour (none)-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Domestic life-Activities associated with creating, maintaining, living in and working around houses and institutions. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The original cottage, it appears, was built c1890 to take advantage of the land boom expected to follow the opening of the railway. The site was close to Eastern Road Station (later to become Turramurra Station) and enjoyed spectacular views.

Both subsequent owners, Ivan Auprince and E.S.W Paul, realised this potential and developed the site as a grand boarding house/country retreat.

From his original purchase of allotments of land in Section 3 of Boyd's Estate in 1893, Auprince extended the boundaries of the property twice, with further purchases of land in 1899 and 1902. ESW Paul purchased even more land in 1907 and 1913, thus creating the large estate that Hillview occupied until the 1960s.

From at least as early as 1902, the property was used as a health resort/boarding house and known as 'Hill View'. It was probably about this time that Auprince made the first additions to the original cottage, building the eastern and western terracotta-block wings. In December 1905 Auprince lease 'house and land including orchard and tennis court to Jean Murray. 'Hill View' boarding house was reputedly a quality establishment and the property was self-supporting with vegetable gardens, orchard, poultry and even a cow.

E.S.W Paul built the large two storey guesthouse building behind the original cottage, its orientation to the south taking advantage of the spectacular views. It was probably architect-designed and provided for all the facilities necessary for a quality establishment (library, dining room, breakfast room, morning room or parlour and conservatory).

At the same time, substantial terracing of the site was undertaken, including the forming of the croquet lawn adjacent to the guesthouse, and the driveway or carriage loop encircling the two guesthouse buildings and providing a grand entrance.

By 1915 a substantial six-car garage had been built on the lately acquired western allotments. Further additions were made to the guesthouse group, including the construction of a rear wing to the back of the cottage, linking the earlier eastern and western wings. Although the place was operated as a guesthouse, Paul was a permanent resident occupying the best rooms facing the view.

Then c1921-1926 Paul decided to convert the Hillview into eight flats of quality. Kitchens and bathrooms were added to the existing buildings with a two-storey addition constructed on the western side of the c1913 building. The cottage was converted into four flats, the c1913 building into three flats, and an eighth flat was above the garages. Paul continued to live on the estate in Flat 5 which occupied the front rooms of the c1913 guesthouse on all three levels.

Despite this change of use, the estate continued to be well maintained with permanent staff employed as housekeepers, gardeners and caretaker/chauffer. Further improvements were made, including extensive terracing and landscaping of the south-eastern portion of the site, including the construction of a new tennis court. A new stone wall was constructed along the front boundary of the property which incorporated the substantial wrought iron gates brought back from England. Most of Paul's improvements remain substantially intact today.

Following Paul's death, subdivision of the Hillview estate was approved in 1955 with Lot 6 DP 26828 (including the garages) being zoned 'county road'. It is not clear whether the decision of the DMR to construct a country road through the site caused this subdivision, but it may be assumed that this was a major contributor. The first sale of land from the Hillview estate did not occur till 1963-1964.

In 1974 following zoning disputes between the owners and Ku-ring-gai Municipal Council concerning zoning and appropriate development, the council purchased the eastern portion of the estate (then deteriorated in condition) including the original Hillview cottage and the c1913 guesthouse. After a series of short-term tenancies, the council leased Hillview to the Hornsby Ku-ring-gai hospital in 1977, Hillview becoming the Hillview Community Health Resource and Information Centre. In 1980 it was purchased by the hospital.

Although the hospital has carried out several refurbishments of the buildings since its occupation of them, some having greater impact than others on the surviving fabric, generally the buildings have all survived substantially intact.

Despite the changes to the Hillview buildings over time, subdivision and the present use of the complex as a community resource and information centre, Hillview remains a rare and substantially intact example of its type, that of the grand guesthouse/boarding house once common on the Upper North Shore at the turn of the century. Further, few guesthouses on the North Shore were developed on this scale, and its prominent position and extensive views mark Hillview as a superior development of its kind. Its buildings, the driveway, extensive terracing, mature landscaping and recreation facilities (such as the croquet lawn) provide a clear and legible record of Hillview's development as a guesthouse and later flats with an emphasis on privacy, elegance and space. The buildings and the grounds remain an excellent example of a secluded resort or country retreat very popular with Sydneysiders at the turn of the century.

It should be noted that E.S.W Paul, the person most responsible for the grand development of the guesthouse and later flats, was a businessman of note in Sydney at that time. He was managing director of Schweppes Ltd, Chairman of APA Insurance and a member of the Board of Ampol.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The house is associated with prominent landholders and business men and women in the local area from the late nineteenth century to the mid-nineteenth century (see historical significance).
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Aesthetic/Creative Significance of the Hillview Group:
All the buildings in the Hillview group have high architectural significance. They were built over a period of time (1890-1928) to create a large guesthouse (later flat complex) and display workmanship of a consistently high quality throughout.

Although detailed surveys of the two main guesthouse buildings are beyond the scope of this report, it is clear from initial investigations and site analysis that they remain substantially intact.

Architectural significance of the c1913 guesthouse:
The c1913 guesthouse is of particularly high architectural significance. It is a very large, two-storey building designed specifically to be a grand and spacious guesthouse (possibly by an architect, though this is unknown) and to take full advantage of its high and prominent position with spectacular views over the whole of Sydney. The building includes a library, drawing room, breakfast room, morning room (or parlour) and conservatory. A viewing platform sat above the front porch to, again, take advantage of the views, but this platform no longer exists.

It is a federation-style building of face brick with a terracotta tiled roof. The elevations are asymmetrically arranged with projecting timber verandahs and bay windows. It has a grand front entrance with turned stone columns in the entrance hall, quality joinery (including the stairs), hardware, decorative plaster ceilings, leadlight and fireplaces throughout, and verandahs with detailed timber balustrades.

The two-storey addition constructed on the eastern side of the building when it was converted to flats (c1926) is not of the same quality as the original but does not detract from the whole or compromise its architectural integrity. It features groups of double hung windows with fibrous cement sheet panels between brick piers.

It is unfortunate that the refurbishments carried out in 1977 by the Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Hospital involved the removal of original details such as the early bath and shower fittings, leadlights and fireplaces. The hospital also removed the kitchens installed for the flats. However, despite these alterations, the building remains substantially intact and in good condition and its architectural integrity has not been compromised.

Architectural significance of the original Hillview Cottage:
Although this late Victorian brick cottage was probably built on speculation circa 1890, it features good quality internal finishes, such as the Arts and Craft style fire surround and decorative plaster ceiling in the current physiotherapy room.

The cottage was first extended by Ivan Auprince when he added the eastern and western terracotta-block wings. The external use of these blocks is very unusual. From early c1900 photograph of Lane Cove Road, it appears that the front wall to the street may also have been built of these blocks, but this is not clear. These wings compromised bedrooms off enclosed verandahs. Timber wall panelling was a feature of this addition.

Mr Paul added the rear wing, including bedrooms, bathrooms and balconies (c1915) and in 1926 converted the building into four flats. Paul's work included, for its day, very sophisticated and high-quality bathroom fittings; however, these have since been removed. A photograph taken by Howard Tanner in c1974 shows a needle spray shower of French design.

Substantial alterations to the original cottage in 1994 have made its original layout unclear as some internal walls have been removed, some openings have been altered, enlarged or relocated, and the original floors have been covered over. The terracotta-block wings and later rear wing remain substantially intact, and include original leadlight windows, decorative plaster ceilings, decorative bathroom tile finishes and quality joinery.

2.2.3 Architectural Significance of the Hillview Garages:
The garages were built c1915 by Mr Paul in a style reminiscent of a coach house with large central
doors balanced by lower openings on both sides.

The style of the building indicates a grander-than-usual conception for a service building for this period. It was designed to be worthy of a wealthy estate and express the aspirations of its successful owner.

The building consists of six garages with a three-bedroom residence above. Its design is competent and sophisticated for a building of this type, and the finishes are of high quality comparable with those in the c1913 guesthouse building.

The garages retain the following original details:
*timber roller shutters to the two northern garages
*arched, timber, ledged, braced and sheeted doors to the central two garages
*a mechanic's pit in the floor of one of the garages
*quality joinery, including awning windows that sit under the eaves and open to the angle of the roof
*early gas lighting filaments in the garages

The original spatial arrangement of the residence over has been retained, although the opening between the two main living spaces has been filled in. The present kitchen and bathroom fitouts date from c1950s but are not of the same quality as the rest of the building, though they occupy the original spaces.

Unfortunately, the balcony balustrade has been substantially replaced in a style not compatible with the original design of the building, which would have used vertical slats, similar in style to the c1913 guesthouse.

2.2.4 Setting of the Hillview Group:
As described above, each of the main Hillview buildings displays individual architectural significance. It is, however, as a group or complex of buildings within its garden setting that the Hillview Estate acquires even greater significance. An assessment of the landscape was carried out by Oculus and is included in Appendix C of this report.

As a private guesthouse (later flats) and estate of a wealthy businessman, the setting lives up to expectations of a large, spacious and elegant park, complete with front gates, driveway, croquet lawn and elaborate terracing, all of which are substantially intact. The setting also includes mature trees and two small hedges of camphor laurels planted c1910-1913. The landforming and terracing undertaken by Mr Paul in 1913 and extended in the 1920s and 1930s is still clearly visible and generally only requires extensive weeding.

The incorporation of 'view' both to and from the site is a significant feature of the estate's setting. Both guesthouses had extensive views to the south over the garden terraces to Sydney and beyond, to the mountains and the sea. Early this century, Hillview's elevated position also meant that the view of the estate from the railway were also dramatic with the buildings being clearly visible at the top of the terraced garden. However, this view of the property has gradually disappeared over the years with the
growth of large trees adjacent to the railway line. However, the c1913 guesthouse building still retains its view of the city over the trees. [Figure 2.2 in the report illustrates these views and how the estate takes advantage of its elevated site.]

An important feature of the setting is the front stone wall with its entrance piers and gates constructed by Mr Paul c1927. The wall supports the estate's air of grandness; however, with the removal of the wrought iron gates from the gateways in the 1970s, the sense of arrival has been diminished to a certain extent. Originally, the driveway brought guests around the early cottage to the grand entrance front of the c1913 building, where they were deposited. Then the vehicles left via the garages. In recent years, though, with the increase in traffic along the highway a new entrance had been created from Boyd Street. It provides a much better approach to the c1913 building and its picturesque setting, but no feature has been made of the street entry. The early timber fence has been demolished and their is no defining gateway. This is not in keeping with Paul's grand design. The wall, together with the large trees growing behind it, contributes to the 'views' of the estate from the street and to a very important green zone in the centre of Turrumurra. It is balanced on the opposite side of the Pacific Highway by a park, which also contains several large flower beds and lawns, and also Queen's Park to the east of the railway line. These parks, together with Hillview, reflect the strong garden suburb character of Turramurra and Ku-ring-gai.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Since 1890 when the original Hillview cottage was built, the site has remained a highly visible and well-known Turramurra landmark. Its location in the heart of the main commercial centre of Turramurra and adjacent to the railway makes Hillview a familiar sight in the community.

The whole of the Hillview site is used by Hornsby Ku-ring-gai District Hospital as the Hillview Community Health and Resource Information Centre. The centre operates as an extension of the Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Hospital outpatient facilities and provides a wide range of medical services (physiotherapy, speech pathology, audiology, podiatry as well as home nursing, a child and family health team and an adult mental health team. The centre also organises activities such as yoga, bushwalking, handcrafts, weight reduction programs, discussion groups, financial and legal services, and children's play groups. This makes Hillview a valuable community asset.

The site is open to the public and local community, thus it has high social significance.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The site may yield some archaeological remains of former use (such as timber getting, orchard activities, garden cultivation) but this is unlikely because the land has been heavily reworked with subsequent terracing and landforming. Evidence of pre-European history has not been investigated for the same reasons.

The use of exposed terracotta blocks for the external walls of the eastern and western wings of the original Hillview cottage is highly unusual. The only other example known to Design 5 Architects of the use of these blocks externally is the food storage building for the first-class accommodation at the Quarantine Station at North Head, Sydney. Generally, these blocks were used around the turn of the century for internal lightweight partitions in buildings and were rendered or plastered.

One garage contains a specifically built mechanic's pit in the floor. Its presence is highly unusual, if not unique, in a private garage of this period. It was used by Mr Paul's chauffeur to maintain Mr Paul's cars.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Heritage Study of the Municipality of Ku-Ring-Gai1987 Tropman and Tropman Architects  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenDesign 5 Architects1997Hillview Garages and Historic Precinct
WrittenPaul Dignam2007Heritage Data Form

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 4309663


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.