|Physical description: ||Station Building, including Signal Box, Platform 3- Type 11(c.1912)
Station Manager's Office, Platform 3 (c.1944)
Station Building, Platform 1/2 (c.1992)
Platform Shelters, (c.1992)
Wyong Railway Station is located north of the Wyong River between Howarth Street and the Pacific Highway. With the large adjacent commuter carpark and western bus interchange lined by established palm trees, the station is a central feature of the township and together with the former station master's residence (privately owned) and adjacent Victorian era shops forms an important railway precinct within the region. The station consists of three platforms, numerous platform buildings of varying ages and styles, and a visually dominating modern footbridge at the northern end of the platform. The eastern side of the station now contains a commuter carpark on land that was once occupied by sidings and a weighbridge. Beyond the Howarth Street overbridge to the north of the station, a number of moveable heritage items associated with the station are stored within the Wyong Railway Depot.
STATION BUILDING, INCLUDING SIGNAL BOX (PLATFORM 3) (c.1912)
External: Wyong Railway Station is a modified Type A8 -A10 station building dating from 1912. The station building contains a signal box at its southern end and features a central porch facing east. The building is of typical red brick construction with rendered string course, architraves and window sills. The building features a corrugated iron gabled roof with timber bargeboards and finials. There are two painted chimneys with rendered cornices along the ridgeline. Awnings on both the eastern and western elevations are supported by curved cast iron brackets (only the eastern awning is original), and these extend beyond the length of the building to the north and south. Timber valances remain on the eastern section of the original awning, but these are obscured by modern extensions. A modern central timber gable over the porch on the western elevation denotes the main entrance. The walls of the signal box (incorporated into the station) on the southern and eastern elevations are of timber construction on a brick plinth. The signal box features a vertical timber boarded dado, clear glazed central windows and 8 pane coloured glass clerestory windows. Security grilles cover the clear glazed windows and door and detracts greatly from the signal box's appearance.
Internal: The station has been highly modified internally with the original layout changed to provide larger staff areas. Where original walls remain, they are painted plaster with no dado and have timber skirting boards. The original general waiting room has been subdivided to create a larger ticket selling office, and the ladies waiting room is now staff accommodation. The signal box retains the original mini-orb ceiling and ceiling rose, waratah style air vents, timber key box, timber floor and coloured glass timber framed windows. The original signal lever frame and indicator panel has been replaced with modern electrical equipment, and a small kitchenette has been installed. Some of the original signal frame remains below the floor, accessible by a trap door.
STATION MANAGER'S OFFICE (PLATFORM 3) (c.1944)
External: The station manager's office is a c.1944 blond brick building with subtle detailing, located at the southernmost end of Platform 3. This building was constructed as a Parcels and Booking Office. A vertical brick stringcourse runs the perimeter of the building above the door and window openings, and window and door surrounds feature curved bricks. The building has a corrugated iron gabled roof with a cantilevered steel beam awning on the eastern elevation. The awning drains toward the building, and a large box gutter is located against the eastern wall.
Internal: The interior of the Station Manager's Office is very simple with concrete and lino floors, painted rendered walls and plasterboard ceilings.
A luggage room at the southern end of the main Platform 3 building, although a separate building, is located underneath the extended platform awning. This building is likely to have been moved to this location from elsewhere and estimated to have been installed after 1985. The luggage room is of precast concrete drop panel construction and is an unusual L shape in plan. The building has a flat timber framed roof and a concrete floor, with no internal wall linings. This type of construction was common between 1920-1960s, however the orgins of the building are unknown. The building is in regular use.
STATION BUILDING (PLATFORM 1/2) (c.1992)
On Platform 1/2, there is a modern version of a traditional station building and, while sympathetic to the setting, does not form part of this listing.
PLATFORM SHELTERS (c.1992)
Steel framed platform shelters with a low-pitched gabled roof link the station buildings with the footbridge. The shelters do not form part of this listing.
Platform 1/2 is an island platform, whilst Platform 3 is a roadside platform. All platforms have been extensively upgraded, and have a mixture of both paved and asphalt surfaces. Original brick faces are no longer evident, though they may be extant. Platform 1 is steel rail post and concrete panel cast in situ. Platform 2/3 is brick with cement render, coping has been raised in concrete.
A modern concrete framed footbridge with gabled steel canopy and three concrete lift towers is located at the northern end of the platform. This visually dominating structure replaced an earlier steel footbridge at the southern end of the platform. The footbridge does not form part of this listing.
While the majority of the area surrounding the Wyong Railway Station is dedicated to carparking, there is an impressive row of Canary Island Date Palms (Phoenix Canariensis), dating from the early 20th century, lining the Pacific Highway.
The eastern carpark at the station contains remnants of a small weighbridge and may contain remnant evidence of the former goods and stockyards although they are likely to be disturbed.
At the station there are located a number of items of moveable heritage including a standard Millner's Patent Fire Resisting safe, timber rollover indicator boards with clock faces and pedals (both platforms) and an original (or early) luggage trolley. The Wyong Railway Depot, just north of the Howarth Street overbridge (although not able to be inspected) was found to contain several other items of movable heritage including two original four wheeled luggage carts, a cast iron and timber station bench and an original cast iron WYONG station sign (at the entrance to the depot).