|Physical description: ||BUILDINGS
Platform Building, Platform 1-2 (Type 4) (c.1890, extended c1986 and c1995)
Platform Building, Platform 3-4 (c.1996)
Overhead Booking Office, (c.1996)
Signal Box, (1968)
Platforms: Platform 1- 2, (c.1924) - Platform 3, (c.1924) - Platform 4, (c.1924)
Footbridge, (1968, 1996)
Campbelltown Railway Station caters to suburban, intercity and interstate services. The station has four platforms, buildings on all the platforms, a signal box, a footbridge which accommodates a concourse, lifts, ticket barriers and an overhead booking office. It is accessed by the footbridge from Farrow Road and Hurley Street. There is a lot of surface parking available in the surrounding area, which also has considerable amount of institutional and commercial activity.
PLATFORM BUILDING - Platform 1- 2 (c1890, extended c1986 and c1995)
Original Building (c1890)
External: The original 1890s structure is a large single-storey Victorian Italianate Station Building, which has been extended to the south with a two-storey addition. Starting from the north end of building the first roof is a transverse gable roof, the second is a hipped roof with a semi-circular vaulted skylight over its ridge, the third is a gabled roof over the central portion of the original building and lastly there are remnants of a transverse gable roof which covered the original lamp room. The roof is clad in corrugated steel and features timber finials and timber bargeboards to the gable ends.
The original building is an exposed, common bond brickwork building which has been painted. The original building has brick on edge, rendered and painted, window sills resting on cement bracket mouldings. The door openings are segmental arches with rendered architraves which are either fitted with timber framed, timber doors with segmental arch glazed fanlights, timber doors with no fanlights or fanlights that have been painted over. Window openings have segmental arch with timber framed, vertical sliding windows and rendered architraves.
The east facade of the central part of the original building has awnings supported by original cast iron posts with Corinthian capitals, and decorative cast iron and bowed steel brackets. The corresponding part of the building along the western facade has cantilevered awnings supported in cast iron brackets. Cantilevered awnings with the same details are also used for part of the east facade of the original building and the corresponding western facade has cantilevered awnings supported on steel angles embedded in the station building brick walls. The roof of all the awnings is corrugated steel. The southern end of the original building has been modified externally.
Internal: The building initially comprised of a central part that had general, ladies and gentleman’s waiting areas. To the north side of this central portion was a toilet block which included a ladies lavatory, a cleaner’s area and a urinals area, and to the south was a yard and lamp room. Currently the building retains the central portion as a waiting room with attached male and female public toilets. The northern end of the building has a control room and an information counter. Only the façade of the southern lamp room remains which has been incorporated within the modern additions.
The original building has been altered considerably but it retains some original cornices and joinery in the general waiting area, the attached public toilets, the control room and information counter area.
Additions to the Platform Building (c1986 and c1995)
External: The additions to the Platform 1-2 Building are two-storey constructed in a sensitive and sympathetic manner such that it adopts the architectural language of the original building. The façade of the original 1890s lamp room is incorporated into part of the building. A newer corrugated iron gabled roof has been added over the portion of the building which initially included the 1890s yard and the lamp room. The newer building has a gable roof with square, opaque, acrylic skylights.
The building is similarly an exposed, stretcher bond brickwork building which has also been painted in the same colours as the original building. The window sills of the new building have the same profile as the sills of the original building, the only difference being that the newer ones are made of concrete. The new building also has clerestory aluminium winding windows. Window and door arches are also similar to original building.
The building has cantilevered awnings to both its east and west facades, with standard bowed steel brackets supported on decorative cement haunches and bolt fixings to the station building brick walls.
Internal: The modern additions comprises of the station manager’s office, station staff lounge and locker areas, train crew rest areas and a training centre.
PLATFORM BUILDING - Platform 3 - 4 (c1996)
External: The building is a contemporary plasterboard structure which has two corrugated steel, gable roofs which are separated by a corrugated steel, flat roof. Corrugated steel cantilevered awnings are integrated with the roofs of the building. The building has timber framed, flat panel doors, aluminium framed clerestory windows and a few rolled steel shutter windows of varying sizes. It is currently used as a control room and as a staff lounge area with kitchen and toilet facilities.
Internal: The building has carpeted and vinyl floors and plasterboard ceilings.
OVERHEAD BOOKING OFFICE & STATION CONCOURSE (c1996)
The overhead booking office is a contemporary structure located at the concourse level on the footbridge. The booking office, along with the main concourse that accommodates ticket barriers and a newsagents shop is part of a larger, oblong, reinforced concrete building which has an exposed brick under-structure at the level of the platform, and aluminium panels covering its north, east and west ends at the concourse level. The booking office is similarly covered with aluminium panels and has two ticket counter windows. The newsagent occupies the space next to the booking office and has steel roller shutters to its front.
SIGNAL BOX (1968)
External: The signal box is an overhead, octagonal shaped building located above the northern end of Platform 1-2. It is accessed from the concourse level of the station through a door from the side of the booking office. Stairs that wrap around the back of the booking office lead up to signal box control room. The signal box has unobstructed views in all directions and has aluminium framed sashless windows. It has a balcony with a reinforced concrete floor slab and painted steel handrails which follow the profile of the octagonal building, and a corrugated iron octagonal roof with circular aluminium gutters.
Internal: The ceiling comprises of radial timber beams and timber veneer panels that cover the concrete undersides of the roof. The signal box is operational and contains its original push type 'route' set relay interlocking machine.
Platform 1 (Up) and Platform 2 (Up) have in-situ concrete faces and together they form an island platform arrangement. Platform 3 (Down) is a wayside platform with a pre-cast concrete face. Platform 4 (Down) is a terminating platform and it also has a pre-cast concrete face. All the platforms have asphalt surfaces.
There are modern gable and flat roof canopies on Platforms 1, 2 3 and 4. Canopies to the northern end of the platforms have an alternating gable and flat roof profile and are made of corrugated steel resting on a system of steel beams and columns which have a concrete footing. The canopy at the southern end of Platform 3 and 4 is a cantilevered, flat roof structure supported on square steel columns. At the southern end of Platform 1 and 2 is a corrugated steel gable roof cantilevered canopy supported on steel beams and central columns.
FOOTBRIDGE (1968, 1996)
The footbridge is a contemporary steel beam structure which connects either sides of the station horizontally above the tracks and vertically by three lifts that are incorporated within the expanse of the footbridge. The main section of the footbridge leading to the concourse has a gable roof and the stairs leading down to the platforms have stretches of gable, transverse gable and skillion roofs. All the roofs are made of corrugated steel supported in steel columns and beams. The footbridge has steel handrails.
There is some archaeological potential that the 1858 platform remains intact underneath later platform finishes. The platform was extended in c.1920 and the platform extension may have incorporated the original platform.