|Physical description: ||BUILDINGS
Former Parcels Office, Brown Street (1919)
Platform building, Platform 5 (c.2000)
Overhead Station Building, (c. 2000)
Signal Box, (1927)
Platform 1/2, (1892), Platform 3/4, (1892), Platform 5, (1927)
Canopies, (c. 2000)
Pedestrian Subway, Brown Street (1918)
Underbridge (Bland Street), (1891)
Retaining walls: Station Street (1892); Brown Street (1918)
Ashfield Railway Station is accessed from Brown Street and Station Street. It has one wayside and two island platforms, an original building on Brown Street, original retaining walls along Brown and Station Streets, a modern overhead station building and a signal box. The station has commercial activity on either side.
FORMER PARCELS OFFICE (1919)
External: Rectangular Federation Style building with stretcher bond brickwork, half-gabled roof and cantilevered awnings only on the side of Brown Street. The awnings are supported by decorative concrete corbels and standard steel double bowed brackets. The awnings, with curtain board fascia, are integrated with the gable roof of the building and are both made of corrugated steel. The roof has original timber finials. The building is accessible at street level from Brown Street and via a ramp leading down from Platform 5.
Most of the door and window openings are original and feature segmental brick arches. The windows have bull nosed brick sills and the door openings have brick on edge and cement thresholds. The building has timber framed, double hung windows and pivot hung fanlights. The double hung windows have glazed glass bottom sashes and four paned top sashes fitted with coloured glass. The pivot hung fanlights have four paned sashes fitted with coloured, or plain, wire enmeshed safety glass. Aluminium safety grills have been fitted to the outer side of the fanlight windows. The door opening onto Brown Street is a panelled timber door, with pivot hung fanlights that have four paned sashes fitted with coloured glass. The door leading down from the platform is a single leaf, flush panel, blockboard door with blockboard surrounds to its side and to the fanlight area.
Internal: The building has retained its original configuration and is a single, continuous space. It serves as a store. Original timber board ceiling, a ceiling rose and cast iron ventilators have been retained.
PLATFORM BUILDING (c2000)
External: The modern platform building is a single room structure made of galvanised metal panels and a flat roof. This building serves as a control room. It has sliding and fixed aluminium windows fitted with safety wire mesh and a flush panel blockboard door with an aluminium framed fixed glass window.
Internal: The interiors of the building are painted and are very basic.
OVERHEAD STATION BUILDING (c2000)
Exterior: The overhead station building is a modern building which accommodates the booking office, station manager’s room, and station staff areas to its south and a control room, public toilets, and retail outlets to its north. Access lifts are located throughout the building leading down to the platforms and to Brown Street and Station Street. The building also comprises of a concourse which looks out towards the eastern and western ends of the station through clear glass walls, which extend all along the length of the concourse. The wall overlooking the western end is made of a metal space frame, to which is attached an aluminium framed curtain wall. The east facing wall is an angled, glazed screen wall. The entire area is roofed by a steel space frame structure covered with corrugated steel sheeting.
Interior: The station concourse is divided into two parts by the stainless steel ticket barriers. The eastern end of the concourse is the public concourse and it serves the purpose of a footbridge connecting Brown Street and Station Street over the tracks. The western end is the paid concourse which is accessible through the ticket barriers and it leads down to the platforms via the stairs and lifts. All the structures located on the concourse are clad with aluminium panels externally and the ceiling of the concourse is made of aluminium sheet panels. The stairs leading down to the platforms are made of reinforced concrete slabs and columns with metal balustrades and handrails.
SIGNAL BOX (1927)
External: The building comprises of two levels, a rectangular base at the ground level, which is five bays long and is constructed of English bond brickwork, and a timber framed, fibre cement clad structure at the first floor level. The external walls of the base rise from a projecting brick plinth. The engaged piers which define the bays are in Flemish bond brickwork with cement moulded, brick on edge caps. The building has some original and a few new windows which have brick on edge sills, concrete lintels and security mesh fitted to the exterior. Door openings to the base of the building comprise of flush panel doors and a roller shutter. The first floor structure has typical chamfered corners and it sits on a precast concrete slab and is approximately three bays long in comparison to the base. It has balconies with steel tubular balustrading to its north, east and west faces and timber framed multi-paned sliding casement windows. The glass panes of some of the windows have been replaced with plywood painted to match the window frames and mullions. The signal box has a Dutch gable roof with terracotta tiles and overhanging eaves. Timber posts with timber brackets support the north-west and south-west corners of the roof.
Internal: The ground floor has painted, exposed brick perimeter walls and concrete floors. There are new I beams supporting the precast concrete slabs of the first floor. The first floor is accessed by a wrought iron spiral staircase. It has been refurbished and has plasterboard panelled ceilings and smooth, plaster finish walls. Interior walls have fibre cement sheet and batten cladding. Partition walls have been added to the eastern end of the first floor. Kitchenette facilities have been added to the north-east corner of the first floor. None of the original signalling equipment exists in the building.
Platform 1 (Up) and Platform 2 (Down) form an island platform arrangement. Neither of the platforms is used by Ashfield Railway Station although the tracks are used for suburban trains which do not stop at Ashfield. Platform 3 (Up) and Platform 4 (Up) form an island platform arrangement. Platform 5 (Down) is a wayside platform. All the platforms have in-situ concrete faces and asphalt surfaces.
The canopies on Platforms 1/2, 3/4 and 5 are butterfly or skillion roofed structures made of corrugated steel sheets resting on galvanised steel beams and galvanised steel and concrete columns. The canopies over the stairs leading down to the platforms from the station concourse comprise of central curved roof forms with skillion awnings and are constructed of the same materials as the canopies on the platforms.
PEDESTRIAN SUBWAY (1918)
The subway which runs under the tracks connects the station to Station Street to the north and Brown Street to the south. The roof of the subway is made of reinforced concrete slabs and steel girders. The walls of the subway have been used as panels to display public art and the photomontages depicting the local history of the area. Some parts of the walls are affected by graffiti.
UNDERBRIDGE (BLAND STREET) (1891)
The underbridge comprises of two original brick arches and recent steel girders to its north, resting on brick retaining walls. The span of the underbridge is 12.34 metres and it has brick parapets.
Landscape features include the brick retaining walls along Brown Street, Station Street and to the rear of Platform 5 adjoining the ramp leading down to the former parcels office.
timber rollover indicator boards (still in occasional use) – three-bay set and four-bay set
two SRA wall-mounted signs
wall-mounted “Guards Reports” metal box
SRA wall plaque for 2002 upgrade works
Ashfield Council and State Rail “Underline Project” plaque
framed list of artists as part of major public art installation
The station complex has low archaeological potential. The Brown Street subway originally had a ticketing office and stairs leading up to the platforms. However the stairs and office have been bricked up and it is unlikely that they would reveal any new evidence not available at other station sites.
|Modifications and dates: ||1892: Quadruplication and new Ashfield station, including platforms and buildings on Platforms 1/2, 3/4, eastern subway, retaining walls and steps from Station Street, ticket office on Brown Street, and Bland Street underbridge are constructed.
1918-1919: Upgrade of station, western subway (Brown Street subway), parcels office on Brown Street built.
1926-1927: Sextuplication, platform to north along Station Street demolished, construction of Platform 5, brick waiting shed on Brown Street, underground ticket office in eastern subway and signal box.
1941: Station alterations, construction of porter’s room at end of Platform 1-2.
1980s: Modifications to western subway, stairs to platforms and booking office bricked up.
1992: Signal box refurbished.
1993: 1890s building on Platform 3-4 demolished.
c.2000: Modern station building, canopies on platforms, lifts, eastern subway, 1890s building on Platform 1-2, 1940s porter’s room demolished.