|Physical description: ||PRECINCT ELEMENTS
Platform 1 building (1887,1915) (type 4)
Platform 2/3 building (1887, 1915) (type 11)
Railway Institute building (1921, 1937)
Former Toilet Block (1915)
Platforms (x2) (1887, 1915)
Footbridge, steps, lifts (2005)
Platform Canopies (2005)
Moveable items: Signals to south of railway institute building.
Thirroul Railway Station is located between Station Street (on the east) and Railway Parade (to the west), and is entered on the west through a park between the station and Lawrence Hargrave Drive, and from Station Street on the east via a modern covered footbridge with lifts and stairs. There are station car parks on the western side of Station Street, and on the eastern side of Railway Parade. The station has a perimeter platform on its western side and an island platform to the east. The stations perimeters are defined with white powder-coated aluminium fencing. Platform 1 is the western perimeter platform. Platform 2/3 is the eastern island platform.
PLATFORM 1 BUILDING (1887, 1915)
Exterior: A weatherboard building with a cantilevered skillion platform awning with curved steel brackets on bolted steel posts. The awning has timber valances to both north and south ends. The building has a complex gabled corrugated steel roof, with gable ends to north and south, and projecting bay with gable end located towards the north end of the building on the street side (west elevation) only. Gable ends feature rectangular timber louvred vents, simple timber bargeboards and finials. There are two brick chimneys. The awning extends for a bay beyond the north end of the building to allow cover to the ticket window which is located at the end of the building, with a separate skillion roof. The building has modern timber panelled doors with 9-paned fanlights above. The waiting area at the north end of the building has 2 pairs of modern timber panelled double doors, one facing the platform, and the other facing north, beneath a cantilevered awning with steel brackets and a corrugated steel skillion roof. The double doors have 12-paned fanlights (2 lines of 6 panes).
Interior: The platform building contain waiting rooms, offices for the Station Master, parcels office and toilets and ladies waiting room. The waiting area at the north end of the building has been modernised. This has 2 pairs of modern timber panelled double doors, one facing the platform, and the other facing north, beneath a cantilevered awning with steel brackets and a corrugated steel skillion roof.
PLATFORM 2/3 BUILDING (1887,1915)
Exterior: A single storey weatherboard platform building with a gabled corrugated steel roof and cantilevered skillion roofed awnings on both sides. There are no chimneys to the roof. The awnings have curved steel brackets mounted on steel posts and timber valances to both north and south ends. The building features timber framed double hung windows. Note: This building is though to be the original station building, however extended and lateres in 1915 for duplication works with new platform awnings, and latered again in 1938 for changes to the island platform.
Interior: Interior not accessed (2009). The platform building contain waiting rooms, offices for the Station Master, parcels office and toilets and ladies waiting room.
THIRROUL RAILWAY INSTITUTE BUILDING (1921, 1937)
Exterior: This is a single storey weatherboard and fibro freestanding building with a gabled corrugated steel roof, located at the south end of Platform 1. The building has a gabled entry porch on its northern elevation supported on timber posts on short concrete posts. The concrete posts are capped with concrete made to resemble sandstone. On its southern elevation, the building has a skillion roofed veranda the full width of the elevation, supported on timber posts on short concrete posts with caps made to resemble sandstone. The building's walls are timber up to window sill level with fibro above. The building features timber framed double hung windows with 9-paned top sashes. The gable ends to north and south elevations are timber shingled to the apex with pairs of small decorative timber brackets below the line of shingles, and timber battened fibro below. There are timber panelled double entry doors to the main entry on the north elevation. On the south elevation, in the southeast corner beneath the veranda roof, there is an addition with walls of vertical timber boards.
FORMER TOILETS (1915)
Exterior: To the north of the railway institute is a small freestanding weatherboard gable roofed former toilet building with a timber infilled gabled veranda facing south. There is a timber framed window opening on the east side with frosted glass to the lower part and glass louvres to the upper part. There are rectangular timber vents to north and south gable ends. Note: this building may also have been relocated from Scarborough in 1915.
PLATFORMS (1887, 1915)
1 perimeter platform, 1 island platform - both with brick edges with concrete capping, asphalt surfaces
FOOTBRIDGE, STEPS, LIFTS (2005)
Covered footbridge, steps and lifts towards the northern end of the station.
PLATFORM CANOPIES (2005)
On both Platforms 1 and 2/3 to the north of the platform buildings, modern canopies on steel posts with concrete bases and corrugated Colorbond roofs connect the platform buildings to the footbridge, steps and lifts towards the northern end of the platforms.
Views of the Illawarra escarpment are available from the platforms at Thirroul Railway Station.
Signals located south of the railway institute building. Contents of Railway Institute building.
|Physical condition and/or|
|Platform 1 building (1887,1915): good
Platform 2/3 building (1887, 1915): good
Railway Institute building (1921, 1937): good
Former Toilet Block (1915): good
Moveable items: good
Platforms (1887, 1915): good
Footbridge, steps, lifts (2005): very good
Platform Canopies (2005): very good
|Modifications and dates: ||1912: Crossing loop added
1915: Former Scarborough platform building relocated to Thirroul Platform 1 with new awning and chimneys. Existing 1887 building on Platform 2/3 altered for line duplication, with new platform awnings and extension.
1921: Railway institute building built
1937: Railway institute building was extended.
1939: Platform 2/3 building altered for changes to island platform
1941: Extensive loco depot arrangements at Thirroul with oil store, ash truck, coal bunker, turntable, weighbridge and offices.
1986: Line electrified. New platform canopy added to the entry end of Platform 2/3.
1989: Platform 1 building extensively refurbished
2005: Existing footbridge and stairs replaced, steel canopies provided linking the footbridge to the platform buildings.
N.d: Security screens to windows, security doors added to both platform buildings.