|Physical description: ||MAJOR STRUCTURES - Managed by RailCorp
Station buildings: Platform 1 - type 5, first class (1880)
Station buildings: Platform 2 & 3 - type 11 (1914)
Platform 4 & 5 - waiting shed (c1933)
Booking office (1948)
Platforms (1880 & 1915)
MAJOR STRUCTURES - Managed by ARTC
Signal Box, type I (1956)
Out-of shed (c1914)
Guards, Porters and Shunters room (c1914)
Platform 1 (1880)
This is a major first class station building, type 5, constructed of brick and featuring many decorative features such as stone quoins at the corners of the building; decorative, rendered cornices, window sills and chimney shafts; cast iron verandah posts with Corinthian style capitals; bay windows; doors with fanlights and panelling, and a cupola projecting skyward from the gabled, corrugated, colourbond sheeting roof.
The building is lineally planned with a main body flanked by two pavilions with transverse gabled roofs, which are adjoined by lateral wings. Two additional small, weatherboard buildings with hipped roofs are located to the east of the station building. The building layout consists of a telegraph office, porter's and lamp room, Station Master’s office, parcels office, ticket office, booking office, refreshment rooms, ladies refreshment room, general waiting room, ladies waiting room, and toilets. The entrance is covered by a verandah with cast iron posts. The platform awning is supported on cast iron columns and brackets and extends down to the realigned and lowered line. The roof is now clad in corrugated iron (formerly slate). The roadside windows are timber, round arched with decorative cornices while the platform side windows are square. The doors are timber and feature raised panelling. Opposite the front entrance is a covered walkway consisting of two brick, open ended arches supporting a gabled, corrugated, Colorbond sheeting roof.
Platform 2 & 3 (1914)
The building is a type 11, brick, island platform building with a gabled, corrugated Colorbond sheeting roof. The building consists of cast iron, cantilevered awnings to both platform faces with timber valances from the building to the awning ends and supported by ornate corbels. The brickwork is a Flemish bond. The windows are timber, double hung sashes.
Platform 4 & 5 (c1933)
Small, weatherboard waiting shed approximately 9.5m long with a gabled, corrugated, Colorbond sheeting roof and cantilevered awning. The building consists of only one room with openings on both platform faces and two timber, fixed sash windows on both platform sides of the building with a 2x3 panel arrangement.
BOOKING OFFICE (1948)
Single storey, yellow brick building with a flat roof and curved awning supported by timber posts. The building is L- shaped. The building has an Art-deco aesthetic with a generally simple design without ornamentation and a curved street elevation where the public entrance is located.
The building consisted internally of an enquiries counter, three ticket counters, a telegraph office and a clerk’s office.
PLATFORMS (1880 & 1915)
Platform 1 (1880), and Platforms 2, 3, 4, 5 (c1915). Platform 1 is a straight side platform brick face with asphalt surface. Other platforms are island platforms with brick face, Platform 4 has cement render. There is also another platform (unnumbered, nd) of open steel rail frame and concrete deck.
Rivetted, steel bridge consisting of a vertical steel plate (plate web girders) with pairs of angle iron rivetted top and bottom to form flanges.
SIGNAL BOX (1956)
Large timber, steel framed, elevated signal box, type I, located on the Down side of the railway line. The structure consists of two storeys with the upper storey not as wide as the lower. The roof is hipped and terracotta tiled. The windows are aluminium.
OUT-OF SHED (c1914)
Small, brick building with gabled, corrugated, Colorbond sheeting roof, slightly overhanging all sides supported by timber braces. Flemish bond brickwork. One timber door with transom window and rendered cornice. Located on platforms 4 & 5.
GUARDS, PORTERS, SHUNTERS ROOM (c1914)
Small, brick building with gabled, corrugated, Colorbond sheeting roof, slightly overhanging all sides supported by timber braces, with a chimney. Flemish bond brickwork. Timber, four panelled door with transom window bordered by rendered cornice. Timber window on platform side. Located at the Singleton end of the original platform, platform 1.
Mature frangipani on platform.
Heritage-style two-arm lamp posts on platforms.
Metal wall-mounted brackets and signs throughout the station.
Cast iron downpipes, drains and wall vents throughout.
Original and early door and window hardware (locks, handles, sash locks and lifts etc).
Original timber rollover indicator boards behind Perspex in waiting room.
Five freestanding timber benches in waiting rooms.
One stainless steel bubbler, one cast iron bubbler on platform 2/3.
Five station name boards – metal lettering mounted onto timber. One fixed to brickwork of overbridge. The other four mounted to posts made from rail-track.
Large timber-framed, fixed painted mural for SteamFest.
Seth Thomas clock in SM office
Large, wall-mounted electric clock on Platform 1.
Floriated glass in large front window – early and recent matching reproduction glass.
Red wall-mounted post box on outside wall of station building.
Non-RailCorp Platform No 2 and 3 Next Train signs.
Remnant rail-track fencing behind out-of-shed building.
Several plaques installed over years to front façade of building and to station forecourt.
In storage: original timber fire surround and cast iron sink in, one blue and white (non-RailCorp) painted timber “Maitland” name board, collection of decorative cast iron bridge railing sections, two early solid timber doors, tall timber ladder incised with “NSWGR”, timber stepladder incised with “NSWTD”, collection of framed historic photos in SM office.