|Physical description: ||MAJOR STRUCTURES - Managed by RailCorp
Station Buildings - type 1, sub-type 3, brick combined office and station (1877) with additions, (1902, 1907,1915) and platforms
MAJOR STRUCTURES - Managed by John Holland
Station Master’s Residence - type 11, 158 Peisley St (1885)
Railway Institute Building - timber, 156 Peisley St (c.1921)
Administration Building - 154 Peisley Street (c.1950)
Goods Shed - through shed, Piesley St (1877)
Rail Motor Shed- Piesley St (c1950)
Signal Box (1938) (The signal box has been identified for removal as part of a state-wide strategy to manage redundant signal boxes)
Transhipment Shed- Endsleigh St (c1959)
Perway Inspector’s Office and Depot- Endsleigh St
OTHER ITEMS - Managed by John Holland
Footbridge - iron with concrete deck (c1910) & extension (1938)
Jib Crane - 5 ton
STATION BUILDING (1877, modified 1902,1907,1915)
The brick station building was built with a combined two-storey residence for the Station Master with upstairs bedrooms. The building has since undergone a series of modifications but retains its Victorian form and character.
The building houses the central booking office, with extended wings along the platform for parcels, refreshments, waiting rooms and toilets. The building is constructed of brick in Flemish bond with label moulded rendered heads for openings, and corbelled and moulded render sills to double hung sash arched windows. The verandah is long and low to the platform and is supported on cast iron composite Corinthian style columns with cast iron angle brackets supporting roof in four directions (B Cubed Sustainability, 2007). Platform 1 is a straight side platform with brick face, coping has been raised. There is also a short carriage dock and a long back road platform, not in use.
STATION MASTER’S RESIDENCE (1885)
The former Station Master’s residence is located at 158 Peisley St. It was built c.1885, is late Victorian and includes the following features: gabled front end and octagonal bay with pitched slate roof; main roof of hipped and gable form; four panel glazed entrance door; glazed French verandah doors; sloping iron verandah roof supported on square stop chamfered timber posts, and fine moulded rendered chimneys (B Cubed Sustainability, 2007).
RAILWAY INSTITUTE BUILDING (c1921)
Federation style weatherboard house with pitched corrugated iron roof and brick chimney. The verandah extends over the front porch only supported by timber posts and brick columns (B Cubed Sustainability, 2007).
ADMINISTRATION BUILDING (c1950)
The Administration Building is a symmetrical three storey polychromatic, brick building with a pitched tiled roof. It has evenly spaced windows around all sides of both levels, and the entrance way is marked with a neo-classical portico. Internally there have been some modifications, particularly to the first floor where offices and equipment relating to train controls have been installed. Security grates have been fitted to some windows and air-conditioning installed, unsympathetically in some instances. Window frames have been replaced with aluminium frames. The building has all new floor coverings and toilets have been installed. A glass panel and door has been added inside the entrance arch. The general internal layout is likely to be similar to as built, as are ceilings, some skirting, doors and stair banisters (B Cubed Sustainability, 2007).
GOODS SHED (1877)
The goods shed consists of an internal frame of long Oregon hardwood timber beams clad in corrugated iron with a pitched roof. The roof has skylights along the enclosed section. The original shed was almost twice as long as it is today having extended northward to the end of the Orange railway station platform to where the jib crane still stands. The current dimensions are approximately 42m x 11.4m. The building has also been modified through the introduction of aluminium windows, roller doors and an awning extending from the northern end of the western side of the structure, along with landscaping. During its time of operation, a rail line passed through the eastern side of the building. The line is now covered over, and has possibly been removed. A wooden platform remains through the centre of the shed. The goods shed is being leased to Australian Native Landscapes as a storage and display centre for the retail of landscaping supplies. The tenants have constructed an office at the northern end of the building and a sales point in the centre. (BCubed Sustainability, 2007).
RAIL MOTOR SHED (c1950)
Located in the goods yard adjacent to the goods shed. The shed is constructed using iron beams and trusses and corrugated iron cladding. Disused railway tracks run into the shed and there is a diesel tank sitting aloft iron stilts to the southern end of the eastern side of the structure. The type and condition of the materials used in the rail motor shed would suggest the provenance of the rail motor shed to be mid 20th century. Currently, the shed is part of the Australian Native Landscapes lease but is not being used for any function (B Cubed Sustainability, 2007).
SIGNAL BOX (1938)
The signal box is a two storey timber board building located between the crossing loop track and the Main line south of the Orange railway station. The majority of the signals have been disconnected and decommissioned. Some levers have been removed. Air-conditioning has been installed (B Cubed Sustainability, 2007).
TRANSHIPMENT SHED (c1959)
The transhipment (OPR) shed was constructed c.1959 by the Orange Producers Rural Association and is located on the eastern side of the rail precinct opposite the Orange railway station and goods shed. The building is an open style shed consisting of an iron support structure covered over with corrugated iron. The OPR shed spans over track that was previously the eighth line of 8 marshalling sidings at Orange. The shed is in a good condition though its integrity is diminished (B Cubed Sustainability, 2007).
PERWAY OFFFICE AND DEPOT
The Permanent Way Depot is located opposite the Administration Building on the eastern side of the Orange rail precinct to the north of the station. The buildings include an office and various sheds. The office area roof is constructed using corrugated iron and has an uneven pitched roof and verandah covering the entrance on the western side of the building (B Cubed Sustainability, 2007).
FOOTBRIDGE (1910, extended 1938)
The footbridge is a pedestrian overbridge that provides pedestrian access over the tracks. The original bridge was constructed c1910, of composite plain cast iron posts and brown brick piers, riveted iron beams and cast iron railing. It was then extended with the new section being obviously distinct from the original (BCubed Sustainability, 2007). The 1938 section of the bridge is noted as being the first welded truss bridge in the rail system. The original component of the bridge is recorded as the oldest surviving footbridge in NSW and the only example of its type (B Cubed Sustainability, 2007).
Class No. 1, 5 tonne, hand operated jib crane. The crane was used to load and unload goods to and from rail wagons and road vehicles. Previously, the goods shed extended right up to where the jib crane still stands. (B Cubed Sustainability, 2007).
Cast iron Ajax safe
SRA overmantle and clock
Recent timber fire surround with marble shelf
Framed awards and historic photos in office
Honour board – Orange Railway, Ambulance and Rifle Club
Large terracotta/concrete pots on platform
SRA wall-mounted electric Timetic clock in office
SRA suspended double-sided electric Timetic clock on platform
Timber-framed mirror with etched “NSW TD”
Blue CountryLink platform trolleys
“Orange” incised timber platform benches
Decorative gooseneck light posts, singles and doubles
Timber and iron rail posts at end of platform
Timber noticeboard on platform
Timber-framed noticeboard in training room
Large timber desk in museum room
Plaque dedicated to the memory of the late John Harris 1923-2001
Phone stands in storage x 3
Wall-mounted plates with dials x2
5-ton jib crane with pulley and hook
Timber stop block in yard
Cast iron bollards in car park and station forecourt
Timber fencing and iron rails used as posts