Heritage

Locomotive, Diesel 4401

Item details

Name of item: Locomotive, Diesel 4401
Other name/s: 4401
Type of item: Movable / Collection
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Locomotives & Rolling Stock
Primary address: Large Erecting Shop, Eveleigh, Eveleigh, NSW 2015
Local govt. area: Sydney
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Large Erecting Shop, EveleighEveleighSydney  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government 
RailCorpState Government 

Statement of significance:

Locomotive 4401 has heritage significance as the first of a class of 100 locomotives which defined mainline diesel power on the New South Wales Government Railways for over 25 years. Streamlined, with a four-cycle engine, cabs at both ends and with all axles powered, these features were embodied in the design that became the standard. Built in unprecedented numbers for diesel locomotive construction, the 44 class contract demonstrated the maturity and capability of local manufacturer A.E.Goodwin to successfully enter this specialised industry sector. The Goodwin-ALCo 44 class ushered in the era of diesel-electric motive power in New South Wales, of which 4401 was the vanguard.
Date significance updated: 22 Dec 09
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Branch intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Designer/Maker: American Locomotive Company, Schenectady, New York
Builder/Maker: A.E.Goodwin Ltd, St Marys New South Wales
Construction years: 1957-1957
Physical description: EXTERNAL
Locomotive 4401 is a double-cab (Co-Co) diesel-electric of car-body design with a full-width cab and streamlined nose. The locomotive is built around a rigid plate frame with the sides of the locomotive body being fabricated with framework and plating. A full width cab is fitted at the No. 1 end, behind a streamlined yet blunt nose. A transition coupling is fitted along with a buffing plate below the front end, which displays a twin-beam headlamp and two illuminated road number boxes, marker lamps and a cluster of multi-chime air horns. A cab is provided at the No.2 end of the locomotive, the cab being flat in profile with a gangway door with a headlamp and marker lights. The locomotive is painted overall Indian red, with yellow stripes, lined in red and black bogies.

MECHANICAL
It is powered by a single 12 cylinder, turbo-charged, 4 cycle, ‘V’ formation, trunk piston, compression ignition oil engine, supplied by the American Locomotive Company (ALCo). The prime mover drives an 1800hp General Electric (GE) generator, coupled by switchgear to six traction motors.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Operational Status: Operational
General Condition: Very Good Condition
External Condition: Very Good Condition
Internal Condition: Very Good Condition

EXTERNAL CONDITION
All aspects of this locomotive are in very good condition, including car body, roof, underframe, bogies, tanks systems. The external paint system is in excellent condition. The wheels are worn approaching scrap limits.

INTERNAL CONDITION
All elements of the locomotive interior appear in good condition with no evidence of corrosion or wastage. The main engine and auxiliary machinery is in sound, clean condition. The electrical machinery is also in sound, clean condition. The toilet is in good condition but does not meet current specification.
Date condition updated:18 Sep 09
Modifications and dates: March 1957 - ordered by the New South Wales Government Railways with A.E.Goodwin of St Marys
July 1957 - completed as works number 82807 and handed over
July 1994 - officially condemned but was retained by Freight Rail for heritage and display purposes, being repaired and repainted in its original livery.
Unknown: Traction motors were replaced with altered pinion gearing for better performance. Vigilance equipment was fitted.
Further information: Locomotives 4401 and 4403 are not totally representative of the 44-class however, as to accurately represent the class as a group of 100 locomotives then an example from the group 4411-4469 would be more representative. Because the NSW Government Railway Collection does not contain any locomotives from this group, then Locomotive 4490 as it was at the time of removal from service would better represent the whole class, as it has been modified to carry the GE main generator and traction motors which were removed from scrapped locomotives in the series 4411-4460.
Current use: NSW Government Railways Collection
Former use: Diesel Locomotive

History

Historical notes: Locomotive 4401 is class leader of the 100 locomotives that make up the 44 class. It was ordered by the New South Wales Government Railways (NSWGR) in March 1957 as part of an initial batch of 10 units. The order was placed with A.E.Goodwin of St Marys. 4401 was treated almost as the pattern engine for the first order and was the only locomotive built at the St. Marys facility. The remainder were built at the Auburn plant of A.E Goodwin. 4401 is also unique in that it was the only 44 Class Locomotive to appear in the colour scheme it carried when introduced. 4401-4410 differed from later deliveries of 44 Class, in that they had a different Control Stand arrangement, more in similarity to the 43 Class. These were often referred in early days by Railway Staff as the 'Hybrid 44's', as they gave the appearance of being a mix of 43 and 44 Class layout.

Locomotive 4401 was completed as works number 82807 and formerly handed over in July 1957. Based upon ALCo’s 1800hp ‘World Model’ (DL500B), the class represented a standardisation of design for mainline diesel-electric power. The class was immediately utilised on express passenger workings including the Melbourne Limited, Inter-Capital Daylight and Brisbane Expresses. They were also used on the Southern Aurora and later the Indian Pacific following its inauguration in 1970. Fast freight workings were another duty for the class. Their lengthy service life was characterised by trouble-free running, popularity with crews, unprecedented working intensity and increasing orders. The final order for an extra 40 units was placed in 1964 with the 100th unit being delivered in December 1967. As newer diesels were delivered, withdrawals commenced in the late 1980s until all remaining units were stopped in July 1994.

4401 was officially condemned in July 1994 with the rest of the class but was retained by Freight Rail for heritage and display purposes, being repaired and repainted in its original livery. It was subsequently transferred to 3801 Ltd, who have used the engine as part of their charter fleet.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Technology-Activities and processes associated with the knowledge or use of mechanical arts and applied sciences Shaping inland settlements-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Railway work culture-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Transporting troops and equipment-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Locomotive 4401 has historical significance. Locomotive 4401 is class leader of the 100 locomotives that make up the 44 class, the first mainline diesel-electric locomotive to be ordered in large numbers. It is significant as the only locomotive built by A.E.Goodwin at the St. Marys facility, and demonstrates the capacity of local manufacturers to build state-of-the-art rolling stock and the willingness of the NSWGR to embrace modernisation with the adoption of successful technology from overseas. The class has historical significance for its use on express passenger routes including the Melbourne Limited, Inter-Capital Daylight and Brisbane Expresses. They were also used on the Southern Aurora and later the Indian Pacific following its inauguration in 1970.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Based on current knowledge, Locomotive 4401 is not known to have any special associations with people or events of significance in a local or state context. It does not have significance under this criterion.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Locomotive 4401 has aesthetic significance. Locomotive 4401 is aesthetically significant as the class leader of this aesthetically important class of locomotive which features a double-cab (Co-Co) car-body design with a full-width cab and streamlined nose with a twin-beam headlamp. Locomotive 4401 is significant as it is painted overall Indian red, with yellow stripes, lined in red and black bogies, the only 44 Class Locomotive to appear in the colour scheme it carried when introduced. Working conditions for locomotive crew, operations and maintenance staff were materially changed for the better with the advent of this class.

Locomotive 4401 has a high level of technical significance. It demonstrates a state-of-the-art diesel-electric locomotive from the 1950s. Based upon ALCo’s 1800hp ‘World Model’ (DL500B), the class represented a standardisation of design for mainline diesel-electric power, with their lengthy service life characterised by trouble-free running, popularity with crews, unprecedented working intensity and increasing orders.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The Locomotive 4401 is likely to have a degree of social value for the community-based associations who have demonstrated an ongoing interest in its conservation and management. This item may also have a degree of social significance to a broader section of the community linked to its historic, aesthetic and associative values.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Locomotive 4401 has a high level of research significance. Locomotive 4401 has research potential in that it was treated almost as the pattern engine for the first order and was the only locomotive built at the St. Marys facility. 4401-4410 differed from later deliveries of the 44 Class, in that they had a different Control Stand arrangement, more in similarity to the 43 Class. These were often referred in early days by Railway Staff as the 'Hybrid 44's', as they gave the appearance of being a mix of 43 and 44 Class layout.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Locomotive 4401 has a high level of rarity significance. As the first locomotive constructed, it is the class leader of this important class, and is one of a handful to remain from the initial order of ten.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Locomotive 4401 is a good representative example of the first standard class of mainline diesel-electric locomotives introduced onto the NSWGR.
Integrity/Intactness: Locomotive 4401 retains a high level of integrity and intactness. It has been restored to original condition.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
SRA Heritage Rolling Stock Stage 2b Heritage Assessments2000 David Sheedy Pty Ltd Architects and Heritage ConsultantsSteven Adams Yes
S170 Rolling Stock Review2009 NSW Department of Commerce  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenMorahan, M1997Early Diesel and Electric Locomotives on the NSWGR
WrittenOberg, L1975Locomotives of Australia
WrittenSteven Adams Moveable Heritage Consulting20063801 Ltd Rolling Stock Condition Reports

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: State Government
Database number: 4807242


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Branch or respective copyright owners.