Rydalmere Hospital Precinct (former) | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Rydalmere Hospital Precinct (former)

Item details

Name of item: Rydalmere Hospital Precinct (former)
Other name/s: Female Orphan School (former), Protestant Orphan School (former), University of Western Sydney (UWS) - Parramatta Campus
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Health Services
Category: Psychiatric hospital/Mental institute/Asylum
Location: Lat: -33.8116982930 Long: 151.0255868200
Primary address: 171 Victoria Road, Rydalmere, NSW 2116
Parish: Field of Mars
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Deerubbin
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
PART LOT100 DP816829
PART LOT100 DP816829
LOT101 DP816829
LOT102 DP816829
LOT103 DP816829
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
171 Victoria RoadRydalmereParramattaField of MarsCumberlandPrimary Address
James Ruse DriveRydalmereParramattaField of MarsCumberlandAlternate Address
177-179 Victoria RoadRydalmereParramattaField Of MarsCumberlandAlternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
University of Western SydneyUniversity26 Mar 99

Statement of significance:

The Female Orphan School Precinct as a component of the former Rydalmere Hospital is of outstanding cultural significance, primarily for its continued use and development, between 1813 and 1989 as a public welfare institution for the care and management of the disadvantaged.

As the first purpose built orphan school in the colony, it illustrates a milestone in the establishment of national social welfare and education policies.

The surviving original buildings, constructed between 1813 and 1818, provide evidence of the development policies of Governor Macquarie and illustrates the transfer of 18th century British architectural pretensions into the design and siting of functional buildings in New South Wales. The extant central block is the oldest three storey building in Australia. (Source)

The site as a whole, and particularly the Orphan School precinct, has outstanding historical and social significance because of its continuous occupation as an institution since 1814. The original complex and its garden setting have outstanding rarity value. Its landscape is of exceptional significance for its development as a Colonial institution sited within the cultural landscape of the Parramatta River valley and influenced by Mrs Macquarie together with the continuing recognition of the heritage values of the place up to the present (Schwager Brooks, 1994)

The structure of the built and natural fabric of the place has been conserved despite the constant adaptation by institutional uses and alienation of its peripheral lands. As a complex of parkland landscape character with gardens, built form and remnant indigenous vegetation it demonstrates the evolution of different attitudes towards institutional care in NSW. The groundworks design and siting of the buildings is associated with Mrs Macquarie, Reverend Samuel Marsden, Francis Greenway and subsequent Colonial and Government Architects (particularly Walter Liberty Vernon) and individuals associated with health care such as Frederick Norton Manning and Dr Greenup (excerpt from Tanner Architects, 2005)
Date significance updated: 06 Nov 08
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Division intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Designer/Maker: Original layout from Mrs Macquarie
Builder/Maker: Samuel Marsden, Francis Greenway, W.L. Vernon, Francis Barrallier
Construction years: 1813-1940
Physical description: The Rydalmere Hospital area is bounded by Victoria Road to the north, James Ruse Drive to the west, Vineyard Creek to the east and Parramatta River to the South. This area contains a significant number of buildings, landscape features, archaeological sites, natural areas, gardens and vistas. Note the State Heritage Register boundary excludes the railway corridor.

The original building is a fine symmetrically balanced composition with projecting central bay capped by a simple triangular pediment. It was designed in the Colonial Georgian style and constructed in face sandstock brickwork with sandstone window sills, quoins and string courses. When viewed from the south the principal elevation, which faces towards the Parramatta River is flanked with Palladian style two storey pavilions connected to the central building by two storey wings. The pavilions, which stand forward of the centre, were originally almost square in plan but were subsequently extended to the north in at least two different stages. The early hipped roofs were replaced by brickwork gables and projecting barges.

The Mortuary is a fine example of the Federation Free Style. It has a simple rectangular plan and hipped, ventilated slate roof which is topped by a finely detailed zinc lantern with an oriental character.

The original Orphanage hospital from the 1860's was built as a two storey domestic style building with two storey verandahs on three elevations. Verandahs later enclosed and interiors gutted to form single open spaces.

The former Head Master's Residence is a large two storey Victorian house with extended rear additions containing service rooms.

The former Chief Attendant's Cottage is a small single storey house. It is clad in horizontal timber weatherboards and has a terra cotta tile roof.

The boatshed is a small single storey timber framed building. It is notable for the external timber stud framing and diagonal bracing supporting a gabled roof with slate covering. (Schwager Brooks and Partners 1994: 59-86)

Dept of Health s170 register lists: building1 (Female orphan school), Building 2, 4, 5, 6,12, 14, 18, 20, 21, chief attendant's cottage, building 34, 36, 38, 47, 58, 59, 66, 73, 74, 75, 76, 79, 82, 89, 92, 93, 97, 100, 105, 108, 114, 119, and landscape as state significant.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Physical condition is poor. Archaeological potential is medium.
Date condition updated:28 Jul 97
Modifications and dates: 1800 & 1810 - The Parramatta site was selected for orphanage use
1810 - tender for building called for
1813 - the foundation stone laid
1818 - construction finished
1820 - work on the new facilities commences
1826 - the garden was said to consist of six acres and was well stocked with vegetables
1829 - a new kitchen and store room constructed
1830/1831 - more additions and renovations
1830's & 1840's - the surrounds improved
1854 - hospital built
c.1868 - new kitchen constructed, by 1870 a meat shed was attached
1870's - an extensive programme of additions and renovations carried out
1870 - twenty figs and twenty pines sent to the school from RBG
1882 - forty bed dormitory constructed
1888 - site transferred to the Department of Lunacy
1891 - site granted independent status and renamed Rydalmere Hospital
1895 - new boat shed and landing stage constructed
1895 - Chief Attendent's Cottage built
1893 & 1896 - Royal Botanic Gardens sent trees and shrubs for planting
1905 - new stair block added to the central block
1909 - ward built to adjoin the former Drill Master's residence
1926 - former hospital extensively remodelled
1938 - verandah and balcony added to former hospital
1926 - additions made to the Master's residence and Chief Attendent's Cottage
Post WWII- service building constructed to the north and new administrative and recreational facilities in the centre of the site.
1950's & 1960's - additions and alterations made to some buildings which considerably changed their form and appearance.
1948 - dayroom built at the corner of the former hospital
1957 - porch added to hospital.
1959 - southern faade of hospital obscured by the construction of a ward
1969 - central building closed
1960s & 1970s - further planting of a more informal natives
1975/6 National Estate Program funding of $24,000 to restore roof of female orphan school (total cost c$60,000). Restoration of brick work and removal of redundant structures. Preparation of CMP.
1985 towards - south campus at Rydalmere progressively closed
1993+- the site undergoing refurbishment to house the University of Western Sydney
Further information: PRS, RNE, NTL. Rydalmere Hospital South Campus. Heritage Assessment. Schager Brooks and Partners Pty Ltd. 1991. Rydalmere Psychiatric Centre Conservation Study. Ed Jim Kerr.
SEPP 56 - Sydney Harbour & Foreshores, lists the precinct as a conservation area, requiring a Master Plan for PNSW's endorsement before DAs will be considered.
Current use: University campus
Former use: Orphanage with farms and orchards, mental institution

History

Historical notes: When the Rose Hill settlement (Parramatta) was formed Surgeon Thomas Arndell became its resident medical officer. For this service he was granted 60 acres on July 16, 1792. The property was known as Arthur's Hill. This grant was later encompassed by the Orphan School allotment. Arndell established a hut and set about cultivating the land. The combination of poor land and natural disaster (bushfires) may have led Arndell to centre his interests on his Hawkesbury properties at Cattai Creek. As compensation, a site at Baulkham Hills was given to Arndell so that it likely that the Arthur's Hill site was resumed by the Crown rather than sold.

By 1800, it appears that the site has already been selected as the future location of a new orphan institute. Again in 1810 the site was selected for orphanage use. The first plans for the Parramatta Girl's Orphanage were almost certainly prepared by French settler Francis Barrallier. He spent three years in the colony from 1800-1803, as explorer, cartographer, ensign, artillery officer and engineer, aide-de-camp to Governor King, architect and ship designer. (SLNSW, 2004)

In 1810 tenders for building were called for a Female Orphan School.

1813-1850 Female Orphan School
The foundation stone for the original Female Orphan School was laid by the Governor in 1813 and construction finished in 1818. The design of the school is likely to have been supplied by Mrs Macquarie based on her remembrance of a gentleman's residence, Airds House in Scotland.

Access to the school was gained from the river by means of a stone jetty and ramped gravel drive that cut into the steep slope. Vehicular entry was from Orphan School Lane (now James Ruse Drive). It terminated on a loop laid out on the upper slopes of the hill. This loop is unlikely to have been the current carriage loop which was probably created in the 1840s or 1850's. The buildings encompassed a central three storey block surrounded on the east and west by two single wings linked to the main building. Francis Greenway was asked to submit plans to rectify serious building and joinery faults.

Work on the new facilities commenced in 1820 although the first extensions to the eastern and western wings may have been completed prior to that time. By 1826 the garden was said to consist of six acres and was well stocked with vegetables. However the structures and facilities experienced serious problems. A programme of work was undertaken to repair brickwork and drainage and new verandahs were built. An inspection of the water supply and sewerage were targeted for criticism. John Busby recommended the construction of a pump in the well with a barrel drain to be built to carry the water to the privies. At the same time serious faults were also being found in the administration and care of the orphanage.

During 1829 a new kitchen and store room was constructed. More additions and renovations were made during 1830 and 1831 including rectification of the poor water, sewerage and drainage of the school.

In 1833 the Church and School Lands Corporation was abolished and in the following year the Orphan School became an establishment managed by the state. During the 1830's and 1840's the surrounds were improved through visual contributions such as ornamental flower gardens, shrubs and trees. Plants were also sent from the Royal Botanical Gardens.

Until this time the Male Orphanage operated first at Sydney and then in Cabramatta. Rising costs, fewer children at the two institutions and the distance of the boys' school from Sydney led to the amalgamation of the two orphanages at Rydalmere in 1850. Although they shared the same site, the two schools remained separate and facilities such as bathrooms, dining rooms, school rooms and playgrounds were all replicated and clearly separated.

1850-1887 Protestant Orphan School
From 1850-1887 Protestant Orphan School developed immediately north of the Female Orphan School. It was not until 1854 that the hospital, the first purpose built structure for the combined orphanage was added to the site. A report from the Inspector of Public Charities in 1865 found Rydalmere to be in need of great repair. Ceilings were falling down, floors had given way, skirtings were dirty and the whole place shabby for want of repainting and replastering. In c.1868 a new kitchen was constructed and by 1870 a meat shed was attached to its northern side.

During 1870 an extensive programme of additions and renovations was carried out. The hospital gained a verandah on its southern facade and a new bathroom and the west wing a 'new' dining room, boys' bathroom and laundry. Another laundry was added to the site. Two shelter sheds were moved to a new location and over their former sites was built the new school building which, in 1877, was described as a 'model' building. The Master's residence may have been built at this time. It is shown complete in photographs of 1880. Many other changes and alterations were made to the site during this time.

The west wing housed most of the facilities for the boys' department including dormitories and attendants' rooms in the original section of the building, a dining room in the first extension and the Matron's kitchen and pantry at the rear of the wing. A verandah connected the latter with the main building.

The east wing was largely devoted to the girls' department which had its dining room on the ground floor of the first extension and dormitories above. The original section of this building was used as a servant's dining room, two store rooms and a scullery on the ground floor with an internal connecting stair to the upper floor. The infants' nursery was housed on the ground floor of the most northerly extension of this wing. It had a water closet in the north-western corner and an internal staircase in the south-western corner.

These extensive structural works were complimented by improvements made to the landscape. In 1870 twenty figs (Ficus spp.) and twenty pines (Pinus spp.) were sent to the school from the Royal Botanic Gardens. By this time, a circular carriage loop and gravel drive had been constructed in the foreground of the main entrance. A forty bed dormitory was constructed on the south-west corner of the western wing during 1882.

Throughout the operational period of the combined orphanage great changes had been made in government policy for both the education and social welfare for destitute children. During the 1870's integration of orphans into the community at large, particularly through means of 'boarding out' with foster parents began to be favoured over the austere environment of the 'barrack' system used at Rydalmere. In 1882 Henry Parkes moved the passage of the State Children Relief Act. Amongst other provisions this Act created the State Children's Relief Board, inaugurated in 1882. This Board was formed with a specific mandate to foster children within the community. By 1886 in response to these political, administrative and philosophical changes there were only sixty-five children left in the Combined Orphanage at Rydalmere.

1888-1987 Rydalmere Psychiatric Hospital
In 1888 the site was transferred to the Department of Lunacy. The former school then became a branch of the Parramatta Hospital for the Insane.

The formal geometric layout of the working gardens was retained when the site became a psychiatric hospital in 1888. In contrast, the ornamental gardens were re-laid to reflect the more informal designs currently in vogue. This hospital took over the Orphan School complex, growing to the north-east and north in an unusual 'village' arrangement of buildings, curved around a green, and what is called the '1900 Ward Range precinct'. The period is associated with Walter Liberty Vernon, Government Architect and health care advocates Frederick Manning and Dr Greenup.

When the old orphanage buildings were handed over they were found in be in a bad state. Immediately thirty patients were moved in to prevent further dilapidation and to commence tidying the site. Works carried out on the older structures included the alteration of the school house by infilling the verandahs and the construction of a new verandah in their place. Extensions were made to the old east and west wings and were both used for wards.

The former bakery was used for ward accommodation. A second storey was added to the Master's residence which was then used to house the new Superintendent.

In 1891 the site was granted independent status and renamed Rydalmere Hospital for the Insane. In 1895 a new boat shed and landing stage located on the main north-south axis of the central block was constructed. A Chief Attendant's Cottage was built on the slope leading down to the river frontage in the same year and a path ran from the cottage down to link up with the drive from the jetty and boatshed.

In 1895 the first female patients were admitted to the site. They were housed in purpose built wards constructed for them away from the former orphanage buildings. These new wards expressed evolving theories of patient care and needs.

Development of a new style of landscape emphasised the different nature of the hospital use, particularly towards the northern sections of the study area. Many of the new paths, bridges and plantations emphasised the new alignment away from the traditional visual linkages to the river. In 1893 and 1896 the Royal Botanic Gardens sent trees and shrubs for planting at the hospital site.

In 1905 a new stair block was added to the central block to coincide with the removal of the internal staircases to allow for more space for wards. The connecting passageways to the wings were altered to become two storey, topped by stone balustrades. A second storey was added in two stages to the former school block at this time. A water closet and verandahs were added to the buildings in 1907 and stair and toilet block to the east wing in the same year.

In 1909 a ward was built to adjoin the former Drill Master's residence. This was linked by a wall to a new two storey extension that replaced the former single storey matron's kitchen at the back of the old west wing.

After the First World War resources were primarily spent on upgrading existing facilities and services, particularly sanitation and safety features, for example fire stairs. Electricity was brought to the site during this period.

By 1924 the site was considered to be antiquated in terms of contemporary management of mental hospitals. The former hospital was extensively remodelled in 1926 and a verandah and balcony were added to it in 1938. Additions were made to the Master's residence and Chief Attendant's cottage in 1926.

Symmetrical and formalised plantation design was expressed again in the inter-war period with the replacement of the federation period flower gardens and shrubs with grassed areas and Jacaranda tress and Camphor laurels.

Post World War II facilities were significantly expanded at Rydalmere in line with changing philosophies of patient care and accommodation. Existing facilities were upgraded or new structures created to take the place of older buildings that were too outmoded to update. Service aspects such as kitchens, factories, substations and workshops were generally located to the north and new administrative and recreational facilities in the centre of the site.

During the 1950s and 1960s additions and alterations were made to some buildings which considerably changed their form and appearance. A day room and ramp was constructed at the corner of the former hospital in 1949. A porch was later added in 1957. The entire southern facade was virtually obscured by the construction of a ward in 1959.

The central building was closed in 1969. Other buildings continued to be used but for storage and minor requirements such as a handyman's store.

During the 1960s and 1970s further planting of a more informal nature was undertaken throughout the hospital grounds. These plantings are particularly represented by a mixture of native plants, principally along the western boundary and partly to the northern boundary of the precinct.

Over the years following 1985 the south campus at Rydalmere was progressively closed. The existing environment both built and vegetated now exhibits a sense of decay.

The Parramatta South Campus of UWS was established on the site from 1993. In March 1998 UWS opened classrooms to students. Conservation works and adaptive reuse of parts of the complex have been undertaken by UWS for educational use. New buildings including the auditorium, library and student union have been added and some heritage buildings require urgent remediation work (CMP, 11/2007, executive summary).

The Female Orphan School has housed the University Executive administration and the Whitlam Institute since 2000. In June 2012 Prime Minister Gillard announced $7m in federal funding to complete restoration of the Female Orphan School and the Whitlam Institute (Lawrence, 7/6/12, 3).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
6. Educating-Educating Education-Activities associated with teaching and learning by children and adults, formally and informally. Public (primary) schooling-
7. Governing-Governing Government and Administration-Activities associated with the governance of local areas, regions, the State and the nation, and the administration of public programs - includes both principled and corrupt activities. Developing roles for government - providing education-
7. Governing-Governing Government and Administration-Activities associated with the governance of local areas, regions, the State and the nation, and the administration of public programs - includes both principled and corrupt activities. Developing roles for government - caring for orphans-
7. Governing-Governing Welfare-Activities and process associated with the provision of social services by the state or philanthropic organisations (none)-
7. Governing-Governing Welfare-Activities and process associated with the provision of social services by the state or philanthropic organisations Hospital/nursing home phase-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Aaron Muron Bolot, architect-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
It has been almost continually occupied since the early years of European settlement, inititally by farming activities, but more importantly, by successive public welfare institutions for the care and management of disadvantaged members of society. It was the first purpose built orphanage in Australia and first combined orphanage to be managed by the state. The original central block is the oldest three storey building in Australia. The actual establishment of the orphanage at Rydalmere is associated with the governorship and development policies of Lachlan Macquarie, with his wife who is thought to have provided the design and with Samual Marsden who superintended the construction. (Schwager Brooks and Partners 118:1994)
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
It is a fine but complex collection of 19th and 20th century institutional buildings set in extensive, landscaped grounds above the Parramatta River. The central two and three storey buildings of the orphanage are a fine example of Old Colonial Georgian architectural design. The extant south elevation, with the symmetrical pavilions, retains a particular clarity of architectural composition, despite subsequent alterations and additions. The same elevation retains a largely uninterrupted visual relationship with the river, sufficient to deomonstrate the aesthetic intentions of the original decision to site the orphanage on Arthurs Hill, facing towards the river valley and the contemporary settlement at Parramatta. Surviving external forms of many of the buildings retain sufficient clarity to demonstrate a range of important 19th and early 20th century architectural styles including Old Colonial Georgian, Victorian Regency, Federation Arts and Crafts abd Federation Free Style. Remnant flora and site works from successive periods now combine to create a rich and varied landscape. (Schwager Brooks and Partners 118-119:1994)
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The history of the orphanage illustrates the evolution of interrelationships between private, ecclesiastic and state responsibilities for social welfare and education. The closure of the orphanage in 1888 reflected developing public policies to foster orphaned children into the community. The initial adaptations made to the old orphan school buildings to accomodate the Hospital for the Insane in the late 1880's, represented one of the last examples of a long standing institutional approach in the care of the mentally ill, that of incarceration rather than hospitalisation. The marked changes of approach to the care of the insane, particularly the reduction in personal confinement, which took place after 1895, is clearly illustrated in the development of buildings and landscape, some of which took place within the Orphan School Precinct. (Schwager Brooks and Partners 119:1994)
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
For the potential to reveal physical evidence on Aboriginal utilisation of the resources of the region. For the potential to reveal physical evidence on the agricultural aspects of early Eurpoean settlement in the region. For the potential to reveal physical evidence of former buildings and other structures, living conditions and building utilisation, patterns of land use, planting and pasturage, drainage and water supply systems and other aspects of long term institutional use. For the potential to demonstrate building design, construction and repair techniques throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries, particularly from the early decades of the 19th century. For the potential to interpret the role of the Parramatta River as a major form of inland transport and communication in the early decades of European settlement. (Schwager Brooks and Partners 120:1994)
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The original, central block of the orphan school is the oldest three storey building in Australia. (Schwager Brooks and Partners 118:1994)
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
As the first purpose built orphan school in the Colony, it illustrates a milestone in the establishment of national social welfare and education policies. (Schwager Brooks and Partners 121:1994)
Integrity/Intactness: Buildings and landscaping in poor condition. Currently being refurbished to house the University of Western Sydney.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

While historical archaeology is well studied on site, Aboriginal archaeological assessment and community consultation has yet to be commissioned.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act

Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
(i) Conservation works carried out in accordance with the conservation plan approved by the Heritage Council;
(ii) new development, demolitions, alterations or use, which conforms to guidelines included in a masterplan approved by the Heritage Council;
(iii) maintenance of any building or item on the site, where maintenance means the continuous protective care of existing fabric, contents and setting of place.
Maintenance does not include:
(i) restoration, renovation and painting of previously unpainted surfaces unless included in an approved conservation plan;
(ii) excavation or disturbances of archaeological relics;
(iv) the minor repair of buildings where minor repair means the repair of materials by patching, piercing-in, splicing and consolidating existing materials and includes replacements of minor components such as individual bricks,stone blocks, timber sections, tiles and slates where they have been damaged beyond reasonable repair or are missing. Replacements should be of the same material, colour, texture, form and design as the original it replaces and the number of components it replaced should be substantially less than those remaining.
(v) garden maintenance, including cultivation, pruning, weed control, the repair and maintenance of existing fences, gates and garden walls, tree surgery but not extensive lopping;
Sep 19 1997
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementConservation Management Plan of February 200 by Tanner and Associates Pty Ltd Dec 3 2001
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for commentConservation Management Plan for campus May 2 2007
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementCMP Endorsed Updated Conservation Management Plan, April 2008 Jul 2 2008
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementRequest for HB confirmation that the CMP issue 3 dated June 2000 still valid May 11 2009

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage RegisterRydalmere Hospital Precinct0074902 Apr 99 1028151
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0074919 Sep 97 1028151
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     
Regional Environmental PlanSREP 22 Parramatta River 05 Jun 90   
Regional Environmental PlanSREP 28 - Parramatta 05 Dec 05   
Local Environmental Plan 58027 Feb 97 20903
Cumberland County Council list of Historic Buildings 1961-67     
National Trust of Australia register   17 Jun 75   
Register of the National Estate  21 Mar 78   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Parramatta River REP 22  (not stated)  No
Department of Health - s170 Register199203/5/5/100Schwager, Brooks & Partners Pty Ltd  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenCAB Consulting P/L (Craig Burton) & The Tree School (Judy Fakes)2003UWS Parramatta Campus Rydalmere Landscape Management Plan
WrittenCasey & Lowe Associates1997Archaeological assessment: University of Western Sydney, Nepean, Parramatta campus (Old Rydalmere Hospital) infrastructure works Date:
WrittenCasey & Lowe P/L Archaeology & Heritage2007Non-Indigenous Archaeological Assessment - University of Western Sydney, Parramatta Campus
WrittenConybeare Morrison International2007University of Western Sydney Parramatta South Campus Conservation Management Plan
WrittenConybeare Morrison International & Context Landscape Design2008University of Western Sydney - Parramatta Campus Masterplan - Masterplan Report
WrittenDurham, Penny2003Orphan school's secrets (Parramatta Advertiser 22/10/03)
WrittenLawrence, Callan2012'School's Restoration Welcomed', in "The Parramatta Sun", 7/6/12
WrittenSchwager Brooks and Partners Pty Ltd1994Conservation Plan - Rydalmere Hospital Orphan School Precinct
WrittenState Library of NSW2004Vive le difference - The French in NSW (in the picture gallery) View detail
WrittenSteve Meacham2004Orphans in style (SMH 16/1/04)
WrittenTanner & Associates P/L2001Heritage Impact Statement: Landscape Master Plan Female Orphan School precinct, UWS Parramatta Campus
Management PlanTanner & Associates Pty Ltd2000Female Orphan School, Rydalmere, Conservation Management Plan

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5000658
File number: 10/8059; S90/02009/016


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.