Yasmar | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Yasmar

Item details

Name of item: Yasmar
Other name/s: Yasmar Hostel; Juvenile Remand & Detention Centre; Yasmar School
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Villa
Location: Lat: -33.8807727671 Long: 151.1337737730
Primary address: 185 Parramatta Road, Haberfield, NSW 2045
Local govt. area: Ashfield
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Metropolitan
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT1 DP1160724
LOT2 DP1160724
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
185 Parramatta RoadHaberfieldAshfield  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Land and Property Management Authority (LPMA)State Government20 Apr 07

Statement of significance:

The site of Yasmar survives as a rare example of a suburban villa in its garden setting that remains in a relatively intact condition. Yasmar is the only relatively intact villa house estate remaining on Parramatta Road, the oldest roadway in Australia, commenced in 1792. Other great estate houses in the vicinity no longer exist - Annandale 1808, Elswick 1805-25, Dobroyde, Ashfield Park 1820s. The house, stables and garden survive in layout and in relation to each other as originally intended. For these reasons the site is rare.

The garden has historic and aesthetic value as a now very rare example of the Gardenesque style surviving close to the city on a major arterial road and retaining connection with its original residence. The existing remnant garden allows an understanding both of the kind of setting thought appropriate to persons of wealth and taste and of this style's principles. The garden has historic, aesthetic, social and scientific significance for its purposeful layout in relation to the house and outbuildings, range of remnant vegetation and formal entrance gates on Parramatta Road.

The gateposts, gates and curved carriageway leading to the turning circle survive in near original condition. The scale of the surviving, now mature, garden marks it a landmark feature along Parramatta Road. The garden's scale and diversity of planting make it an important element in the Haberfield and Ashfield townscape; a welcome contrast to later commercial development along Parramatta Road.

Many examples of the garden's vegetation have high individual significance as well as being physical evidence of 19th century practices. The olives may be derived from William Macarthur's Nursery at Camden Park. The garden has associational links with David Ramsay, his son Edward Pierson Ramsay and Alexander Macleay, the latter two being founders of the Linnaean and the Australian Flora & Horticultural Societies.

Yasmar's house has historic, aesthetic and social significance at state level. It is a rare example of John Bibb's residential work. The property has strong associations with Simeon Lord, the Ramsay Family and GJN Grace. The house was used as a Sunday School in 1860's, the first home Sunday School for the Presbyterian Church in New South Wales. This led onto the establishment of a week day school in the church hall, circa 1866, and subsequently Haberfield School in 1907. The use of the house as a childrens' court and in association with the remand centre and its school, has been a significant public use of the building.
Date significance updated: 04 Nov 02
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Division intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Designer/Maker: John Bibb
Builder/Maker: Unknown
Construction years: 1856-1858
Physical description: Remnant Estate and Grounds
The estate /garden is approached through Italianate-style sandstone gateposts, with Gothic recesses, and topped with a ball motif. 'Yasmar 185' and 'Yasmar 183' are painted on the post in black and gold paint. The remaining portion of the iron palisade fence also survives. The entrance has been widened to accommodate prison trucks as has the driveway generally, which has reduced the earlier border planting along the carriageway.

The entrance drive with flanking shrubberies and central carriage loop (in actual fact an oval) of a mid 19th Century large suburban villa are well planted and complement a fine contemporary house. A winding drive leads from an impressive iron and sandstone entrance gateway, to an irregularly shaped carriage loop consisting of a roughly triangular shrubbery and an oval flower garden. The drive and loop are asymmetrically planned, curved for maximum length, screening and visual effect.

The carriageway turns around a tear drop shaped garden that is landscaped with modern plantings of shrubs and roses. It is likely that the planting within the carriageway circle was originally simply grassed with one or two feature trees. A depression within this area may have been an early water feature.

Garden:
The garden, established by the Learmonths dates from the Gardenesque, early Victorian period.

Archaeological remains of the dividing garden wall have been located towards the stables.

The diversity of plant material, particularly those indigenous to Queensland, is attributed to the association with Edward Pierson Ramsay, who was an active member of the Royal Horticultural Society of NSW. Today many of the special and rare trees planted have grown to maturity, examples being the Chilean wine /coquito palm (Jubaea chilensis), Bunya pines (Araucaria bidwillii), figs (Moreton Bay fig, Ficus macrophylla and Port Jackson fig, F.rubiginosa), kauris (Queensland kauri, Agathis robusta and New Zealand kauri, A.australis) and fire wheel trees (Stenocarpus sinuatus), black bean trees (Castanospermum australe), brush box (Lophostemon confertus), pepperberry (Cryptocarya obovata) and cabbage tree palm (Livistona australis). Many of these species are uncommon in gardens, some are very rare. The New Zealand kauri is one of perhaps 6 mature such trees recorded growing in Australian gardens (Stuart Read, pers.comm., 31/12/2013).

One nationally-rare tree growing at Yasmar (one of only 31 known in Australia) is the palo alto tree (Picconia excelsa), a 'cloud forest' or rainforest tree from the Canary Islands and Azores.This species is endangered in the wild due to land-clearing. Other specimens are in the Royal Botanic Gardens in Melbourne, Geelong and Sydney and select gardens such as Denham Court, Camden Park and Cooma Cottage, in NSW. The presence of such species in this garden give an indication of the level of horticulture practised by the Ramsays and Learmonths, and their connections (Stuart Read, pers.comm., 10/10/2012; updated 7/11/2016).

Another is the puzzle bush (Ehretia rigida) from South Africa - this is the only specimen in a NSW garden apart from a couple growing in Camden Park estate's garden (Stuart Read, pers.comm., 31/12/13; updated 7/11/2016).

Unusual trees include maidenhair tree (Ginkgo biloba) south-west of the house's verandah (Stuart Read, pers.comm., 7/11/2016).

A range of old-fashioned and now rare or at least unusual shrubs in Yasmar's garden includes native pear, Dombeya natalensis (South Africa); Lobelia laxiflora; Rangoon creeper (Quisqualis indica); some unusual Camellia japonica cultivars (likely with links to Camden Park) (Stuart Read, pers.comm., 7/11/2016).

The garden beds below the verandah of the house also appear to be a recent addition as it was not common practice to plant gardens close to verandah at the time of the original layout of the garden. The land near the entry steps has been raised.

To the west of the carriageway is a rectangular, sunken masonry-lined (terraced) pit with brick detailing on the bottom, an ornate coping and end piece and benches on either side. Some sources suggest that this was a very early 'swimming pool', however this could not be confirmed nor have other suggestions that it may have been a sunken conservatory or a shade house. The pit is now used a sunken garden but retains water and a pump was installed to remove the water, however this was taken from the site soon after installation. The brick sides appear to be bowing into the void and structural advice should be sought.

Above the 'pool' there was a recent timber pergola (since collapsed and removed) but around this site is evidence of remains of timber posts and brick footings from previous structures.

The whole area is densely planted with trees and shrubs, many of which could be presumed to be original or early (i.e. 1850s-90s). Other large trees and shrubs are likely the progeny of original or early plantings. The largest trees are the Moreton Bay figs, Bunya, hoop and Kauri pines and several camphor laurels (Cinnamomum camphora). The garden may have been planned and planted by Edward Pierson Ramsay of the Drummoyne Plant Nursery.

An overgrown structure to one side of the drive appears to have been a sunken conservatory or shade house - a rectangular masonry pit with benches to either side. It is now covered by a later pergola. An unsympathetic timber annex has been built close by. (Survey of Gardens in NSW - National Trust of Australia (NSW ), 1981)

See also Conservation Analysis: 4.1 house p53; 4.2 garden & gates p54.

Former Service Drive:
This ran on the current western perimeter boundary of the garden from Parramatta Road to the coach house/stables. Its alignment is still clearly marked by fig and Bunya pine stumps which survive, a large camphor laurel tree at the rear of the Department of Corrective Services Training Facility block (this tree is approved for removal as it is impeding truck access to that block), and a clump of giant bamboo (Bambusa balcooa) near the northern end of the same block (also approved for removal for the same reason, but on condition of the replanting of another giant bamboo elsewhere in the rear garden/service yard. One of a former two old pepper(corn) trees (Schinus molle) survives north of the former coach house/stables block (Stuart Read, pers.comm., 31/12/2013).

Service Yard:
The original service yard at the house's north and west survives, much of it now paved with bitumen. It is used for parking.

Buildings - the House:
Built in the Victorian period, it is a symmetrical Georgian style residence but with cast iron pillars rather than columns on its verandah which encompasses it on 3 sides (Crow, 1997, 2).

Yasmar's house is a single storey symmetrical building in Greek Revival style. It is built of sandstone blocks with flagstone verandah. The main slate roof has terra cotta ridge. The verandah is separately roofed and is supported by cast iron posts. There are French doors with shutters on the main and rear elevations. Windows display early and finely worked joinery detailing.

The wide entrance hall has curved corners. The original archway to the Secondary Hall has been infilled, with double-leaf swinging doors and a lead light top light. The main rooms to either side of the front hall are approached through 8 panelled, double doors. The hardware is not original and is in an art nouveau style.

Throughout the house there is evidence of changes to the original fabric in the door hardware, ceilings, lead lighting and some fireplaces, circa 1900. The ceilings reveal the original lath and plaster finish behind later cornices and there is a later wall frieze above the picture rail in the main hall and front rooms. The marble fireplace in front room 2 is original, however the fireplace in front room 3, with its timber batten wall detailing, may have been installed prior to Yasmar being sold to the Grace Family.

The house is flanked at the rear by two outbuilding service wings to form a courtyard behind the main house. The western wing has a cellar below. The wings have slate roofs with verandahs to the courtyard. Since Government ownership these wings have undergone extensive alterations, mainly to the internal spaces. Some detailing survives such as 6 panel doors.

The original well in the courtyard survives and today is a garden bed.

Stables:
The stable building survives and underwent restoration works in 1995.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Physical condition of the house is good. Because the central spine of the site has remained relatively undisturbed, there is high potential for archaeological investigation into the original garden layout and possibly earlier cultural artefacts.

Physical condition of the garden/ estate is overgrown, and while this makes it 'romantic' it is really rather rundown. There are a lot of (probably bird-dropped seed) seedling/wildling trees and shrubs, along with some natural regeneration of deliberately planted species, such as the large trees (eg: Bunya pine seedlings).
Date condition updated:18 Oct 99
Modifications and dates: There have been only 3 major phases of changes to house and land by the 3 owners, the Ramsay and Grace Families, and current institutional owner. Overall there is minimal intrusion into the fabric and core significant areas.

The Land
1803 The original 480 acre land grant to Bayley (is now the current day suburb of Haberfield having the same peninsular and Parramatta Road boundaries)
1830s Dobroyde Gardens Nursery established alongside Iron Cove Creek.
1855 four roads built through the estate: Ramsay, Dalhousie, Waratah and Boomerang Streets.
1856-8 Yasmar House built and gardens, driveway laid out
1860 4 acres donated for building of a church, family vault and manse (to the north-west)
1862 Church hall opens
1867 New Dobroyde Plant & Seed Nursery established (on same site as Dobroyde Gardens & Nursery)
1869 "Princess Tree" Moreton Bay fig planted outside St. David's Church
1882 release of "Dobroyde estate" along St. David's Road to St. David's Church
1885 & 1886 Three small portions of the Dobroyde Estate are sold by Ramsay children heirs for residential subdivision
1890 land west of Yasmar leased to a horticultural nursery Wadd P/L
1901 Richard Stanton purchases the north eastern portion of Dobroyde Estate for the Haberfield garden suburb subdivision; further portions to east and around Yasmar are bought for subsequent extensions to Stanton's Haberfield Estates; the Haymarket Co. imitates the garden suburb philosophy in the Dobroyd Point area and portions on western edge
1903 release of second Haberfield estate subdivision and demolition of Dobroyde House. "The Bunyas" house is retained
1905, 1926 & 1944 part of remaining Yasmar lands resumed for Haberfield School.
1909 road widening (Dalhousie Street) and loss of "Princess tree" at St. David's Church
1920s St. David's Church spire removed
1944 construction of infill (court) building between house and both rear wings
1946 construction of Remand Centre for boys within grounds
1959 high corrugated iron fence erected to Parramatta Road frontage
19?-70s wings for Detention Centre built within grounds on either side of driveway
1970s alterations/additions to stables (carriage house)
1976 service wings of house altered and a fourth (new) side of the courtyard added
1979 corrugated iron fence on Parramatta Road frontage demolished, leaving only gates, posts and a small section of the original iron pallisade fence
1982 staged redevelopment of Remand Centre
1990 renovation work to stables (Carriage house)

The House
1856-8 built
circa 1900 Low level Edwardian modifications by the Learmonth Family involved a few changes of interior decor (stained lead light glass, some fireplaces, room use changed to a library)
1944 Low level modifications by NSW Government for use as Court involving enclosure of part of east side verandah as magistrate's room, west side removal of wall to end verandah room to expand a room, construction of infill building between the house and both rear wings
1976 new addition to form northern 4th side of rear courtyard added (reversible)

Garden
The garden beds below the verandah of the house also appear to be a recent addition as it was not common practice to plant gardens close to verandah at the time of the original layout of the garden. The land near the entry steps has been raised.
1990/1: restoration of the Yasmar gardens under a Dept. of Public Works contract (Read, S., pers. comm., 6/2006).

2009:
RTA built pedestrian overpass bridge slightly south-west of Yasmar near Parramatta Road/Bland St. intersection.

.
Further information: Yasmar is Ramsay spelt backwards, after the Ramsay family.
Current use: Corrective Services staff training facility
Former use: Private home, estate with ornamental gardens, fields; Juvenile Remand & Detention Centre

History

Historical notes: 1794 David Ramsay was born in Perth, Scotland

1803 a land grant of 480 acres, called 'Sunning Hill Farm', was made to NSW Army Corps Ensign Nicholas Bayley (or Bailey); the grant boundaries form the present day suburb of Haberfield.

1805 the land was sold for 850 pounds to Simeon Lord (1773-1840) , wealthy emancipist who changed the locality name to 'Dobroyde' (note with an 'e') after his cousin's home, Dobroyde Castle, Lancashire, England where he had spent much of his youth. Lord had been convicted in 1790 for stealing cloth and was transported to Sydney for 7 years. He arrived in 1791 and after his release became a very prosperous businessman (Crow, 1997, p.2)

1810 Birth of John Bibb, Liverpool, England
1820 Lord was recorded as being the largest land holder in Sydney
1820 Alexander Learmonth was born in Linlithgow, Scotland
1820 Dr David Ramsay, ship's surgeon, arrived in NSW aboard the 'Surry', a convict transport in 1820. 2 years later he returned and established a business with his former ship's captain, Thomas Raine. The firm of Raine & Ramsay was a broadly based trading enterprise, located on the corner of Bligh and Hunter Streets, Sydney billing itself as 'ship owners, agents, general merchants and wool brokers'; Ramsay also held several offices with Scots Church, Sydney

1825 Simeon Lord's daughter, Sarah Anne married Dr David Ramsay; there was a conditional transfer of Dobroyde Estate as a dowry. The Ramsays built their home 'Dobroyde House' on a crest of their estate fronting Parramatta Road between present day Dalhousie Street and Rogers Avenue. It was a timber cottage with a garden. Ramsay had been born in Scotland in 1794 and graduated from the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh.

The Raine & Ramsay partnership did not last and Ramsay devoted much of his time to his Dobroyde estate, especially horticultural pursuits. He also had an inn known as 'Speed the Plough' or 'The Plough Inn' built on the Dobroyde Estate side of Parramatta Road at its junction with Liverpool Road. He owned the inn but leased it out for others to manage. It was a 2 storey building with a verandah across the front and a single storey wing on each side. It was a noted landmark in the district. Here locals, travellers, and drovers taking cattle or sheep to the Glebe Island abattoirs could quench their thirst. In the 1860s a flour mill and bakery were built near the inn. (Crow, 1997, p.2).

1826 Sarah and David Ramsay moved into 'Dobroyde House', Parramatta Road
1826 Mary Louisa, first of 10 children to the Ramsays, was born. (9 of the 10 surviving children are buried in St David's church yard: one died young. Percy is buried in Brisbane. Family names are commemorated in Haberfield's street names eg: Lord, Ramsay, Yasmar, Dalhousie, Percy, Edward [now Hawthorne], St David's, Learmonth).

1830s Dr Ramsay established the Dobroyde Gardens Nursery alongside Iron Cove Creek (now Hawthorne Parade)
1832 John Verge employed a newly arrived English-trained architect, John Bibb in his architectural practice. In 1837 Bibb continues Verge's practice after Verge retired to Dungog.

1840 Sarah and David Ramsay set up a home Sunday School at Dobroyde House, the first Home Sunday School of the Presbyterian Church of NSW. That year Dr Ramsay was presented with a silver medallion for 'Pine Apple' at the Flora & Horticultural Society Show.
David Ramsay owned most of what is now Haberfield and grew oranges and pineapples along the creek. (Powell, 2015).

In 1842 Alexander Learmonth arrived in NSW. Also that year Edward Pierson Ramsay was born.

In 1844 John Bibb became auditor to Flora & Horticultural Society and committeeman for the Sydney School of Arts; he designed the School of Arts' headquarters in Pitt Street. He would also later design the Congregational Church in Pitt Street, Sydney (Crow, 1997, 2).

In 1850 Mary Louisa Ramsay married Alexander Learmonth. That year saw a reprint of Scottish writer John Claudius Loudon's influential book, "The Suburban Villa Gardener: laying out, planting and culture of the garden and grounds", London by William S Orr and Co.

In 1854 the Ramsay's 3rd daughter, Isabella Helen was married to Dr John Belisario, English dentist, at Dobroyde by the Rev. Dr J Dunmore Lang [SMH 7.10.1854]. Dr Belisario was accredited as first colonial dentist to use ether as an anaesthetic; tooth extraction for Duke of Edinburgh in 1869; later he became a member of Linnean Society and Australian Museum.

In 1855 Bubb & Temperly's Victoria Iron Foundry was located at 10 Victoria Place, Sydney (the firm was listed in the Sands Directory until 1880). That year four roads were constructed through Dobroyde Estate and named Ramsay, Dalhousie, Waratah and Boomerang. Also that year 46 acres of the estate was transferred to Alexander and Mary Louisa Learmonth.

In 1856 Learmonth commissioned architect John Bibb to draw plans for Yasmar house. It was designed for he and his wife Mary Louisa, who was the eldest daughter of David and Sarah Ramsay. The house was built etween 1856-8. The house and garden face Parramatta Road on a crest between present-day Bland & Chandos Streets further west of Dobroyde House. It is U shaped with the rear wings for servants' quarters and service rooms. Learmonth lived at Yasmar until his death in 1877 (Crow, 1997, 2).

The house's siting and garden layout was designed according to J.C.Loudon's 'Gardenesque' principles, including being set back from the main road, the carriage way, the siting of the stables, vegetable garden and offices.

The 1858 Sands Directory showed Alexander Learmonth as residing at Parramatta Road; Mary Louisa Learmonth is shown in residence at 70 Upper Fort Street, Sydney.

In 1860 the Dobroyde Sunday School was transferred to the western side room of Yasmar house. In June David Ramsay died in the garden of nearby Dobroyde house. The estate was divided into 20 blocks ranging in size from 1 acres to 23 acres amongst David and Sarah's 5 daughters and 5 sons, as required by the marriage settlement of 1825. Sarah Ramsay donated 4 acres for the dedication of the Presbyterian church, school, family vault and manse (built 1911) (now St David's Precinct, Dalhousie St Haberfield). In 1861 the foundation stone of St David's Church Hall was laid by Sarah Ramsay (the building continues to this day as the hall to St David's Church precinct; after Yasmar this the 2nd oldest building in Haberfield).

In 1861 Edward Pierson Ramsay was elected the founding treasurer of Entomological Society of NSW.
Sarah Ramsay's Edward (Pierson Ramsay) was a keen botanist who was friendly with the powerful plant men of the day, including William Macarthur of Camden Park and Alexander Macleay of Elizabeth Bay House. When Edward moved to Queensland to capitalise on the sugar rush, his plantation neighbour (at Tinana, Maryborough) was John Carne Bidwill, botanist and plant hunter (and Commissioner of the Wide Bay district), who discovered the Queensland kauri (Agathis robusta) and the Bunya pine (Araucaria bidwillii). It is easy to imagine Edward planting out some of his swaps and gifts in his sister's new Sydney garden (Powell, 2015, botanical names added and Bidwill information elaborated by Stuart Read, 24/8/2015).

In 1862 St David's Church Hall opened as a Sunday School and a day school, called Yasmar, during week days (the forerunner of Haberfield Primary School); Mary Louisa Ramsay was appointed Superintendent of the school. In February John Bibb, architect, died and was buried in the family vault at St Peter's church, Cooks River.

In 1862 Richard Stanton was born.
In 1864 the Ramsay brothers Edward Pierson, James and Percy purchased the Jindah sugar plantation at Maryborough Queensland; Percy resided there.
In May 1866 the first Divine worship was held in St David's School Hall, conducted by the Rev. Dr John Dunmore Lang.

In 1867 Edward Pierson Ramsay opened the New Dobroyde Plant and Seed Nursery on the same Iron Cove Creek site as Dr Ramsay's Dobroyde Gardens Nursery. As a horticulturist he had much input into Victorian garden design and species registration.

1867-69 Dr Alexander Walker Scott was appointed trustee of Australian Museum. His daughters, Helena and Harriet, become renowned natural flora and fauna artists and were cousins of David Scott Mitchell, future benefactor of the Mitchell Library; their painting was undertaken 'on scientific outings at Dobroyde and in Dr Ramsay's garden of rare plants famous in the colony' (most Scott prints are now archived at the Australian Museum).

On 29 April 1868 the foundation stone for St David's Church was laid by Sarah Ramsay as proxy for Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, following an assassination attempt of him by Irishman James O'Farrell at Clontarf. St David's Church was built in the Gothic Revival style with a square Norman tower. Its architect was Thomas Rowe (designer of the Sydney Great Synagogue and Sydney Hospital). In the 1920s the spire was removed after lightning damage. The building contractor for the church was Frederick Lavers.

On 27 March 1869 Prince Alfred returned to St David's church prior to his departure, to plant a Moreton Bay fig tree (later thiis was removed for road widening in 1909) in front of St David's church. The tree was within view of Yasmar house (see photograph circa 1910 which notes 'the Prince's tree in front of St David's church'). The ceremony was attended by the Colonial Treasurer and several members of Parliament, Sarah Ramsay, David Ramsay and Alexander Learmonth among 8 church trustees.

In 1873 in Victoria Baron Ferdinand von Mueller's position as Director, Melbourne Botanic Gardens was abolished. In the search for his replacement, J.J.Casey, Victorian politician suggested William Robert Guilfoyle, young, enthusiastic nurseryman he had met in the Tweed River Valley of northern NSW. Guilfoyle was not the first choice for the job. Edward Pierson Ramsay was offered the appointment but his insistence on a guaranteed tenure of three years and a salary of 500 pounds per annum had forced Casey and Clement Hodgkinson (Assistant Commissioner or administrative head, of Crown Lands and Survey, Victoria and from 1873, Inspector-General of Metropolitan Parks, Gardens and Reserves) to pass him by'. (Wright, R., 'A troubled start: the Domain, Melbourne, 1872-73, p.148), quoted in 'All nature is a garden - William Guilfoyle, Landscape Designer', in Latreille, Anne, 2013, Garden Voices - Australian Designers - their stories, Bloomings Books, 74, 233.

In 1874 Edward Pierson Ramsay, ornithologist and zoologist, was appointed the Curator of the Australian Museum (a post he held until 1894). He moved from Dobroyde house to quarters at the Museum.

In January 1875 the Linnean Society of NSW held its 1st meeting with Sir William Macleay and Edward Pierson Ramsay original committee members. E. P. Ramsay became a fellow of the London Linnean Society and married Ellan Fox that same year.

In 1877 Alexander Learmonth died in his garden at Yasmar, he was buried in the family vault at St David's Church. His wife Mary Louisa stayed there until 1891 (Crow, 1997, 2).

1882 saw the release of 'The Dobroyd Estate' along St David's Road to St David's Church, being inheritance lands of Louisa Ramsay.

In 1883 future retailing magnate Joseph Neal Grace arrived in Sydney.

In 1884 The 'Presbyterian' magazine stated 'On Thursday week Mrs Learmonth gave a picnic at 'Yasmar' to the Yasmar and St David's Sabbath Schools to celebrate the 24th Anniversary of the former'.

In 1885 three further sections of The Dobroyde Estate were subdivided and sold for Victorian type residential subdivision near Parramatta Road (being Ramsay heirs Isabella's portions between present day Wattle/Alt Streets and southern end of Dalhousie/St David's/Dobroyd (now O'Connor) streets; and an area around Percy/ Lord/ Sloane/ Marion/ Hawthorne streets belonging to Louisa, Margaret and David Ramsay).

In 1886 Edward Pierson Ramsey sold a portion of his inheritance (Lot 3) Long Cove Creek and Parramatta Road.

In 1888 Pressed metal ceilings were first introduced in Australia. That year the Australian Museum took over the 'Curator's quarters for office space'. Edward Pierson Ramsay moved to Dalhousie house (the present day site of Dobroyd Point Public School, Waratah Street).

In 1889 Sarah Anne Ramsay died. In 1892 the depression inhibited further sale of the Dobroyde Estate inheritance lands. In 1894 Mary Louisa Learmonth and her unmarried daughter, Mary, took an Indenture Mortgage to Mutual Life Association. In the 1890s land west of Yasmar was leased to horticultural nursery Wadd Pty Ltd.

?? Richard Stanton married in St David's Church, Haberfield.

1900 the Grace family obtained possession of Yasmar. Joseph Neal Grace, born in England in 1859, had migrated to Australia c.1880. He and his brother Albert established a drapery business which became Grace Brothers Ltd. During this period leadlight panels were fitted in Yasmar's doorways and 'Federation' style mantelpieces were installed reflecting contemporary taste. Joseph Grace died at Yasmar on 5 July 1931. His wife Sarah Selina continued to live there (Crow, 1997, 2).

In 1901 real estate agent and entrepreneur Richard Stanton purchased 43 acres of The Dobroyde Estate from Ramsay heirs Margaret (present day bounded by Waratah, Dalhousie, Hawthorne and Barton Streets) and David (Dalhousie, Ramsay, Barton and O'Connor). He commenced development of Australia's 1st 'garden suburb' - residential subdivision on a 'design and construct' formula. Stanton named the new garden suburb 'Haberfield'.
?? Stanton buys further Ramsay heirs' land, including Dobroyde House.

In 1902 Mary Louisa vacated Yasmar and moved to live with her daughter, Mary, at Concord.

In 1903 Yasmar house and 49 acres were leased to Joseph Neal Grace (the other branch of Grace family lived at Abbotsford House; son of A E Grace). That year Mary Louisa transfered Yasmar land from the Old System to Torrens Title and transferews Yasmar land to her unmarried daughter, Mary. The same year Stanton released the 2nd Haberfield Estate on Ramsay heirs Margaret, John and James' lands (around Haberfield/Stanton streets). He demolished Dobroyde House to construct his own home, 'The Bunyas', in the Arts and Crafts architectural style. This was reputedly designed by Haberfield Estate architect John Spencer-Stansfeld (the site is now in Rogers Ave and was later used as headquarters for the Scout Association of Australia).

In 1904 Yasmar house and 8 acres of land was sold to Albert Edward Grace.

In 1905 a large portion of Yasmar land to the north west of the house was resumed by the State Government for Haberfield School (now bounded by Bland, Denman and Chandos Streets). That year Stanton released his 3rd Haberfield Estate on Ramsay heirs Louisa's and Percy's lands, being land east and west of Yasmar house and Dobroyde house (present day bounded by Alt/Ramsay/Dalhousie streets); continuation of 1st Estate to Deakin, Dickson street.

In 1907 was the naming of the new Post Office as 'Haberfield' which was contested by the Ramsay family.

In 1908 Denman Avenue was created (honouring the 3rd Baron and 5th Governor-General of Australia) along a reduced northern curtilage of Yasmar; the original rear entry to stables became Yasmar Avenue in the last Stanton Haberfield subdivision.

In 1910 the Haberfield School opened.

In 1911 Stanton subdivided Edward Pierson Ramsay's inheritance lands on what had been the New Dobroyde Plant and Seed Nursery (now Tressider Avenue) (Tressider was a horticulturist who took over New Dobroyde Plant and Seed Nursery then later moved the business to a site opposite Yasmar, renaming it 'Camellia Grove'; this was later involved with Professor Waterhouse of Eryldene at Gordon (site now present day Muirs Motors).

That year Joseph Neal Grace married Sarah Selina Smith B.A. (known as 'Gypsy'), who was Lady Superintendent (Deputy Headmistress) of the Presbyterian Ladies College, in Shubra Hall, Croydon (which had been built for previous owner, Anthony Hordern of the Hordern Bros Emporium). A. E. Grace transferred Yasmar to Gypsy Grace on her marriage to his son.

In 1912 Stanton developped his 5th Haberfield Estate on Ramsay heir, Sarah Buchan Thomson's lands (around Logan and Nicholls Avenues) (Buchan Thompson was the manager of Dr Ramsay's pastoral leases in NSW).

In 1913 James Ramsay (b. 1838) died at Dobroyde. In 1914 Mary Louisa Learmonth died, aged 88. In 1916 Edward Pierson Ramsay died at Croydon Park and was buried in the family vault St David's Church, Haberfield.

In November 1926 Ashfield Council approved resumption of Yasmar land north of its stables and west of its rear entrance, as an extension for Haberfield School.

On 5 July 1931Joseph Neal Grace died 'at his residence Yasmar'.

Between 1940-44 Yasmar and Shubra Hall were both commandeered for officer quarters by the Australian Army during World War II. In 1944 the last remaining 6 acres of 'Yasmar' land were transferred to the NSW Department of Education for an extension to playgrounds of Haberfield School and for use as a Children's Court. In April 1946 Yasmar house commenced use as a Children's Court and within its grounds 'a remand centre for delinquent boys' started.

In 1948 the NSW Government acquired Gypsy Grace's property (2 acres being the last section of Ramsay's Dobroyde Estate) which had been leased to Wadds (Horticultural Nursery) Pty Ltd. (This was west of Yasmar's current estate). In 1949 Gypsy Grace died in The Astor apartments, Macquarie Street, Sydney, leaving no issue.

In 1959 a high corrugated iron fence was built to Parramatta Road (it was demolished in 1979) leaving only the Yasmar entrance gates and small section of original palisade fence.
19?? Construction of detention centre wings either side of the driveway

In the 1970s alterations and additions were made to the stables (carriage house). In 1976 the service wings of Yasmar house were altered and a 4th (northern) side of courtyard was constructed.

In 1976 Yasmar house and gardens were classified by the National Trust of Australia (NSW). In1978 Yasmar house and gardens were listed on the Register of the National Estate. In 1981James Broadbent (then of the National Trust of Australia (NSW)) nominated the house and garden as having State significance. That September the Heritage Branch of then Department of Planning recommended the house, its grounds and gates be a heritage item within the terms of the Heritage Act 1977.

In 1982 staged redevelopment of the remand centre occurred. The Heritage Council on the 5th August requested a detailed landscape study be carried out and a management plan be prepared for the garden.

In 1984 footings of a brick wall between Yasmar house and the stables were uncovered.

In 1990 renovation works were carried out to the stables (carriage house). The garden was resuscitated by horticulturist Anne Steng, working with heritage landscape specialist Michael Lehany - including major weed removal efforts.

In 2003 the house and gardens were offered to be formally handed over to Ashfield Municipal Council. (The remand centre continued to operate until 2005). The NSW Department of Corrective Services still run a training facility in the western side of the property.

A proposal for a bilingual Italian-Australian primary school in the eastern side of the property has not been acted upon due to opposition and concern by residents and members of the community.

The Italian community service, Co.As.It uses one of the 1960s wings on site (Powell, 2015).

The NSW Department of Crown Lands administer the property.

An updated conservation management plan was prepared in 2008 (updated in 2012-13) and a garden action plan was prepared in 2012-13. Expressions of interest over future uses of the property were advertised by the Department of Crown Lands.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
2. Peopling-Peopling the continent Convict-Activities relating to incarceration, transport, reform, accommodation and working during the convict period in NSW (1788-1850) - does not include activities associated with the conviction of persons in NSW that are unrelated to the imperial 'convict system': use the theme of Law & Order for such activities Experiencing life opportunities after emancipation-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services Innkeeping-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services Nurseries and horticultural production-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Environment - cultural landscape-Activities associated with the interactions between humans, human societies and the shaping of their physical surroundings (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Environment - cultural landscape-Activities associated with the interactions between humans, human societies and the shaping of their physical surroundings Landscapes of industrial production-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Science-Activities associated with systematic observations, experiments and processes for the explanation of observable phenomena (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Science-Activities associated with systematic observations, experiments and processes for the explanation of observable phenomena Researching botany and botanical processes-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Science-Activities associated with systematic observations, experiments and processes for the explanation of observable phenomena Horticultural experimentation, hybridising and acclimatisation-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Science-Activities associated with systematic observations, experiments and processes for the explanation of observable phenomena Researching entomology (insects)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Gentlemens Mansions-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal (none)-
6. Educating-Educating Education-Activities associated with teaching and learning by children and adults, formally and informally. (none)-
7. Governing-Governing Defence-Activities associated with defending places from hostile takeover and occupation Involvement with the Second World War-
7. Governing-Governing Law and order-Activities associated with maintaining, promoting and implementing criminal and civil law and legal processes (none)-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship (none)-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Simeon Lord, industrialist and emancipist-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with John Verge, architect-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Dr David Ramsay, doctor, merchant, church man-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with John Bibb, architect-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Richard Stanton, garden suburb promoter, developer and real estate agent-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Ensign Nicholas Bayly, soldier, grazier-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Alexander Learmonth, gentleman-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Mary Louisa Ramsay, gentlewoman-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Sarah Ramsay (nee Lord), heiress-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Edward Pierson Ramsay, Musem curator, businessman, horticulturist, nurseryman, naturalist-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Joseph Neal Grace, retailing magnate-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Yasmar house and its grounds have a strong association with the 3 former owners and their families, whose endeavours helped shape Australian society.

The property has associations with Simeon Lord, who was a wealthy merchant in the colonial period and who in 1840 had the greatest land ownership in the colony.

There is an association with the Ramsays, who were a significant family in the foundation of the suburb of Haberfield and in their role of establishing the local Presbyterian Church community. Members of the Ramsay family were also pioneers of the horticultural industry from the 1840s onwards.

The property was subsequently owned and has associations with J N Grace, a founder of the Grace Bros Department Stores.

The garden has a strong association with the Ramsay family, the Dobroyde Plant Nursery which was established by Edward Pierson Ramsay, and members of the Flora & Horticultural Society, including members of the Macleays of Elizabeth Bay House, and the architect John Bibb, who was the auditor of the Society. E P Ramsay was Curator of the Australian Museum, a founder of the Linnean Society and close associate with the Scott and Mitchell Families.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Yasmar house remains as principal evidence of architect John Bibb's work. It is a rare example of his residential design and is the only known work surviving in a substantially unaltered condition to Bibb's original design. Bibb was an English-trained architect whose work here was almost entirely in the Greek Revival style. Before working in his own practice, Bibb had worked in, then took over, the office of architect John Verge, a highly significant architect in colonial Sydney.

The house is a fine example of a Regency designed villa in the Greek Revival style, with quality examples of Regency joinery detailing.

Yasmar grounds area rare example of the Gardenesque style garden, still in contact with the original residence, and surviving close to the city of Sydney.

Although much reduced in size, the existing remnant allows an understanding of the principles of a villa garden as set out by J C Loudon in his influential book 'The Suburban Villa Gardener', reprinted in the 1850s.
The classically-designed gate posts, the gates and curved carriage way leading to the turning circle in front of Yasmar house, survive in near original condition, following Loudon's principles.

The scale of the surviving garden, which is now mature, makes it an important element in the local townscape and a landmark along Parramatta Road.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Yasmar house remains as principal evidence of architect John Bibb's work. It is a rare example of his residential design and is the only known work surviving in a substantially unaltered condition to Bibb's original design. Bibb was an English-trained architect whose work here was almost entirely in the Greek Revival style. Before working in his own practice, Bibb had worked in, then took over, the office of architect John Verge, a highly significant architect in colonial Sydney.

The house is a fine example of a Regency designed villa in the Greek Revival style, with quality examples of Regency joinery detailing.

Yasmar grounds area rare example of the Gardenesque style garden, still in contact with the original residence, and surviving close to the city of Sydney.

Although much reduced in size, the existing remnant allows an understanding of the principles of a villa garden as set out by J C Loudon in his influential book 'The Suburban Villa Gardener', reprinted in the 1850s.
The classically-designed gate posts, the gates and curved carriage way leading to the turning circle in front of Yasmar house, survive in near original condition, following Loudon's principles.

The scale of the surviving garden, which is now mature, makes it an important element in the local townscape and a landmark along Parramatta Road.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The site of Yasmar survives as a rare example of an early 19th century villa garden in the Gardenesque style, that remains in a relatively intact condition. There are many examples of vegetation in the garden that are of high individual significance and research value.

Individual items in the garden are also physical evidence of the practice of the exchange of exotic plan specimens between members of the Flora & Horticultural and Linnean Societies. The olives in particular may be derived from the Macarthur's Nursery.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Yasmar house is considered commensurate with John Verge buildings which have Permanent Conservation Order Status, such as Tempe House and Rose Bay Cottage. The house layout and fabric has survived relatively intact since it was first conceived and built, and is the only known example of a single storey residential building designed by John Bibb to survive. The garden is rare for its maturity and species of plants, and the fact that a fragile environment has survived within 5 kms of the Sydney GPO. The 19th Century landscape principles remain evident as a rare research and educative resource. The house within its garden setting is a rare cultural environment and evidence of mid 19th Century society. Yasmar is the only example of a 'villa estate' to survive along the length of Parramatta Road.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The House is representative of the Greek Revival architectural style for a domestic mid 19th Century villa. The Garden is representative of the Gardenesque classical style of house and garden layout design typical of the early to mid 19th Century
Integrity/Intactness: Both the House and the Garden are remarkably intact as they originally designed, both individually and as a purposefully contrived entity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

revised CMP to be more comprehensive, eg: grounds, outbuildings, estate. Sympathetic new owner/user

Recommendations

Management CategoryDescriptionDate Updated
Recommended ManagementReview a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) 
Recommended ManagementPrepare a maintenance schedule or guidelines 
Recommended ManagementDocument and prepare an archival record 
Recommended ManagementCarry out interpretation, promotion and/or education 

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementYasmar Juvenile Justice Centre CMP, by Dept of Commerce Heritage Design Services for DPWS Property Services on behalf of Juvenile Justice, dated July 2003. CMP received for review and endorsement 19 November 2003 Feb 25 2007
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementReview of revised CMP for endorsement Oct 11 2011
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for commentRevised CMP for comment Feb 29 2012
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsement3/2012 GML CMP submitted for endorsement
Contact:Stuart Read
Phone: 02 9873 8554
Fax: 02 9873 8599
Email: stuart.read@heritage.nsw.gov.au
Our ref: A1506265
File number: 10/4593

Ms. Bronwyn Connolly
Director Crown Lands Division
P.O.Box 3935
PARRAMATTA NSW 2124
Attention: Mr. Stephen Fenn, Mr. Craig Brown
Dear Ms. Connolly

Review of Yasmar Conservation Management Plan (CMP)


The Heritage Division, Office of Environment and Heritage have provided comment on draft management plans for Yasmar in previous correspondence dated:
a)11 October 2011 on a draft pre-public exhibition;
b)8 March 2012 providing additional comments to (a) on conservation works and views;
c)11 April 2012 providing additional guidance to (a & b) on priority garden maintenance actions and recommending five new (CMP) garden conservation policies.
d)A12/2011 plant survey, which was updated following site visits on 3 & 7/2012 (comprising inventory, plan, legend) titled: Yasmar Garden - Short term priority tasks: (Stuart Read, 26/7/2012: after discussion on site with Harry Diversi, Ashfield Municipal Council and Nelson Sueh, contractor) (NB: a copy of this follows this letter).

With regard to the 'mystery tree' in the eastern driveway border noted in the letter at (c) above, research has identified this tree as the extremely rare Ehretia rigida or puzzle bush, from South Africa. The only other known specimen of this tree is at Camden Park estate. This tree's identity should also be added to the updated list of significant plants on site.

The plan as it stands does not appear to have integrated the Heritage Division OEH's previous comments outlined above. The Crown Lands Division is recommended to re-examine these with regard to amending and updating the draft CMP, in particular re adding:
-Ranked, identified significant historic views to, from and within the property (noting figure 5.1 p.59 and conservation policy 3.3, which do not appear comprehensive enough in definition or ranking of significance to enable effective implementation;
-An updated list (separated by room) of significant internal elements in the house (or other buildings, noting figure 5.3 does not currently appear detailed enough);
-While noting pp.34-36 and 55-58, these need the support of a clear plan showing ranked significant landscape areas (cf buildings or archaeology) in the CMP, to complement figure 5.1-5.3 and relevant conservation policies;

In addition the following terms need updating to make the document 'current':
a)Section 6.4.2, p.68 The Heritage Act 1977 text should specify that any development or change within the NSW State Heritage Register listing boundary requires prior Heritage Council of NSW approval under section 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977. This includes alteration, excavation and subdivision works. Proposals for change or development not permitted under the Standard Exemptions should seek advice from heritage practitioners with relevant experience to support and advise any Heritage Council approval application;
b)Section 6.4.3, p.70) The NSW National Parks & Wildlife Act 1974 is administered by the Office of Environment and Heritage and the person requiring notification and to give approvals under that Act is the Chief Executive of the Office of Environment and Heritage (not the Director-General of DECC);
c)P.73 Disability Discrimination Act 1997 text needs updating: The Disability (Access to Premises-Buildings) Standards 2010 (The Premises Standards) commenced on 1st May 2011 to specifically refer to this document;
d)Section 7.4 - Conservation Policies needs updating as follows:
Policy Area 5 - Yasmar Gardens:
5.1.1 reference to Appendix B*, identifying significant plantings needs updating to reflect additional garden plantings survey done by Stuart Read in 2012;
5.2.2 detailed arboricultural audit - has been done by Stuart Read in 2012. The data from his audit needs (per 5.2.1 policy requiring a qualified surveyor and/ arborist with experience on heritage landscapes and gardens) to:
1) transpose these plantings onto a current site survey;
2) assess the safe, useful life expectancy of each significant tree;
3) assess the critical and primary root zones of each significant tree;
5.2.4 schedule of works and maintenance plan has been prepared by Stuart Read. What remains outstanding is its priority implementation within 12 months (i.e. by 3/2013) in association with a Landscape Management Plan and horticultural plans noted in 5.3.1 and 5.4.1 and regular arboricultural inspections be done.
* Appendix B needs to be supplemented by making appendices of the material prepared by Stuart Read and provided to the Crown Lands Division already, i.e.:
1) 7/12/2011 - Site Visit - Plant inventory (one annotated A4 sheet plan) ]
2) 7/12/2011 - Site Visit - Legend of Plant inventory (one annotated A4 sheet plan)]
(NB: Both of the above annotated over A4 sheet from 4/2003 - Yasmar Garden plan and legend, showing significant plants);
3) Yasmar Weed Identification Sheet - common high-priority to remove species (6 pages of colour photographs for easy major weed identification/management);
4) Yasmar Plant List - Species Identified 4/2013, updated 12/2011; 3 & 7/2012 Stuart Read - recommended priority actions (A3 landscape format table);

Once these amendments and additions are incorporated the CMP can be recommended for endorsement by the Heritage Council. For enquiries regarding this, please contact Stuart Read at the Heritage Division on telephone (02) 9873 8554.

Yours sincerely

SIGNED

Vincent Sicari
Manager Conservation Team
Heritage Division
Regional Operations Group
Office of Environment and Heritage
As Delegate of the Heritage Council of NSW
14 August 2013


(NB: Annexures):

A) 7/12/2011 Stuart Read Garden Survey - annotated plan and legend (as 2 A4 sheets):
NB: an A3 hard copy is also enclosed

B) Info on Ehretia rigida, puzzle bush

C) 26/7/2012 updated garden priority tasks list - with red annotated updates made after 2012 07 26 of original 2011 task list.

D) A3 scale image of (A) above;

E) A3 sized schedule of plants in garden - Stuart Read, 2012.
Aug 14 2013

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0137918 Feb 00 251277
Local Environmental PlanAshfield LEP 20 Dec 85   
Register of the National EstateYasmar Hostel, Garden and Gates334421 Mar 78   
Register of the National EstateYasmar Hostel Garden334521 Mar 78   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 2003Historic Yasmar will not be lost. (Newspaper article)
WrittenArterra Landscape Architects & Write to the Point (writing - editing - strategy) P/L2008Yasmar Reserve, Haberfield : (draft) plan of management
WrittenBrady, Colin1982Yasmar Homestead Haberfield : a conservation study and draft conservation policy for the Yasmar Homestead and grounds at Parramatta Road, Haberfield NSW
WrittenCrow, Vincent1997Haberfield: distinctly Australian
WrittenFriends of Yasmar - Michelle Calvert1997Save Yasmar
WrittenGardiner, Gwen1983'Plant and Tree Species', in Yasmar University Assignment, in Mather, Ingrid, 1983, Yasmar, Haberfield - 1983
WrittenGodden Mackay Logan2012Yasmar Reserve - Conservation Management Plan - Draft Report
WrittenJackson-Stepowski, Sue (ed.)2008'The Yasmar Estate - including the garden, the house, service court and servant quarters, stables, carriageway and gates' View detail
WrittenJames Broadbent, for the National Trust of Australia (NSW)1981'Yasmar' entry, in Survey of Gardens in NSW
WrittenLatreille, Anne2013Garden Voices - Australian Designers - their stories
WrittenNew South Wales Dept. of Commerce Heritage Design Services Title: Yasmar Juvenile Justice Centre, 183-185 Parramatta Rd., Haberfield : conservation management plan / Heritage Design Services.2003Yasmar Juvenile Justice Centre, 183-185 Parramatta Rd., Haberfield : conservation management plan
WrittenNSW Department of Public Works1992Yasmar Juvenile Justice Centre, 185 Parramatta Rd., Haberfield : heritage status report
WrittenNSW Public Works / Otto Cserhalmi & Partners1994Conservation analysis for Yasmar, 185 Parramatta Road, Haberfield
WrittenPowell, Robin2015'Gardening: from glory days to sad decline, the twisting tale of Yasmar'
WrittenPowell, Robin2015'Recipe for renewal' (article on Yasmar)
WrittenRead, Stuart2012Yasmar plant list - species identified 4/2003; updated 12/2011; 3 & 7/2012 - recommended management and priority actions
WrittenRead, Stuart2012'Yasmar Garden Work Plan - recommended priority actions'
WrittenRead, Stuart2012Yasmar Weed Identification Sheet - common high-low priority to remove species
WrittenSaulwick, Jacob2014'Inquiry out as MP cuts deal on park', in Sydney Morning Herald, 26/6/2014
WrittenVanessa Alexander and Robyn Flick.2008The Yasmar Estate 185 Parramatta Road, Haberfield C1856 : archaeological assessment

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045179
File number: 10/4693; S90/05565


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.