Tahlee Bible College | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Tahlee Bible College

Item details

Name of item: Tahlee Bible College
Other name/s: Tahlee House, Tahlee Estate, Carrington Archaeological Site, Australian Agricultural Company
Type of item: Landscape
Group/Collection: Landscape - Cultural
Category: Historic Landscape
Location: Lat: -32.6667928257 Long: 152.0003089970
Primary address: Tahlee Road, Carrington, NSW 2324
Parish: Carrington
County: Gloucester
Local govt. area: Great Lakes
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Worimi
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT340 DP735514
PART LOT342 DP740621
 540 DP95442
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Tahlee RoadCarringtonGreat LakesCarringtonGloucesterPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
North Arm Cove Properties Pty LtdPrivate 
Tahlee Gospel MinistriesReligious Organisation10 Sep 07

Statement of significance:

Tahlee Estate is of very high local, regional, state and national significance, contributing to our understanding of the history and development of Australia in every aspect of cultural significance including pre-European and European settlement. Evidence of past use of the Estate and the reasons for its significance remain sufficiently intact for the interpretation of the heritage of the Estate (Integrated Design Associates 1999).
Date significance updated: 16 Jun 00
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Division intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Builder/Maker: Australian Agricultural Co., Sir Edward Parry, RHD White
Construction years: 1826-1888
Physical description: 44 hectare (108 acres) rural estate called Tahlee Estate containing the former headquarters of the Australian Agricultural Company 1826-1853.

Significant features include:
Tahlee House and outbuildings 1828-1888 (stone and timber, iron roof, stone cellar),
Boat Harbour 1828 (stone),
gardens 1830-1890,
caretakers cottage 1890 (timber),
Reception & Ballroom building 1888-90 (timber),
Residential Bible College 1959-99 (timber, brick ),
relocated Nissen Huts and Cinema from Greta Migrant Camp (timber and iron, reloc. 1964).
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
physical condition varies: good - poor; archaeological potential: high
Date condition updated:24 Dec 99
Modifications and dates: significant development of paddocks 1949-1989; Tahlee House - fire 1860, reconstruction 1880-88; Reception/Ballroom additions 1959
Further information: CMP endorsed by Heritage Council 1999
Current use: Residential Bible College
Former use: Australian Agricultural Co. Headquarters, sheep/ cattle farm, country residence

History

Historical notes: In 1824, London was in the midst of an enormous stock market boom. With Australian wool becoming increasingly important, two companies - the Australian Agricultural Company (AACo.) and the Van Diemen's Land Company - were floated on the London Stock Exchange to promote raising fine-wooled sheep in the Australian colonies. The AACo. became a major force in the Australian coal and pastoral industries and in the settlement and development of the Hunter River and Port Stephens regions. Today, listed on the Australian Stock Exchange, it is the oldest Australian company operating under its original name.

Founded by a special Act of Parliament and under Royal Charter, it acquired the right to hold and sell land in New South Wales. Its founding members were a group of British bankers, merchants and politicians who saw the potential for big profits to be made in the colony.

The terms of the charter were that most of the labour would be provided by convicts under the supervision of superintendents, overseers and skilled mechanics sent from England. If, at the end of 15 years, the company had expended 10,000 pounds on improvements and employed 1400 convicts, it would obtain freehold title to its land. The size of the land grant was not specified in the charter, but discussions between the company directors and the Colonial Office settled on one million acres.

The company appointed a chief agent, Robert Dawson and a Colonial Committee to assist him. This eventually included just three people - James Macarthur (fourth son of John Macarthur), his cousin Hannibal Macarthur and his brother-in-law, Principal Surgeon, James Bowman. The committee took a four year lease of 'The Retreat' (later 'Kelvin') at Bringelly near Camden for the immediate accommodation of imported stock, and sought advice on the best location for the land grant.

In June 1825 Dawson sailed from the Isle of Wight with 27 employees and their wives and families, 800 French and Anglo merino sheep, 8 cattle and 6 horses. They were followed a few weeks later by an overseer, 6 shepherds and a further 79 French merinos.

In January 1826, when people and stock were settled, Dawson sailed to Newcastle with a small party on the "Liverpool Packet" and from there, they travelled across country to inspect Port Stephens, an area which, of all those suggested, had the great advantage of access by water.

On the northern shore of Port Stephens, Dawson noticed land which seemed ideal. About 800 acres were suitable for growing corn, while the surrounding hills provided good sheep grazing country, with plenty of fresh water and lime (oyster shells) for building, all situated on a magnificent harbour.

Dawson hurried back to Sydney, determined to take the whole million-acre grant between Port Stephens and the Manning River (named for the AACo.'s deputy governor, William Manning).

Initially known to Europeans by its Aboriginal name, Carrabean, the settlement at Port Stephens was renamed after the banking peer, Lord Carrington, brother of the company's first governor (Pemberton, 2009, 56-7). He was Britain's first Lord Carrington and had strong AACo. links. His grandson was later to become a Governor of New South Wales and Newcastle's Bullock Island was later renamed Carrington in his honour.

One version of the name 'Tahlee', a Gringal Aboriginal tribal name, was supposed to mean 'sheltered from the wind'.

Dawson was much maligned. He gave the Barrington Tops and Barrington River their names. He also clashed with stormy wool pioneer John Macarthur (Scanlon, 2008).

Dense bushland with sweeping water views was cleared and settled. In February 1826 Dawson arrived with cattle, sheep and convicts with the express purpose of growing fine wool for the mills of England and to secure a handsome profit for his bosses. The estate's main entry was by sea. It was the first major influx of private investment in Australia. Tahlee House became the original headquarters of the AACo. The house was eventually to become the home of four of the AACo.'s chief agents: Dawson, Parry, Dumaresq and King, whose names were commemorated in Newcastle inner-city street names.

Within four years, by 1830, a new waterfront area of Carrington village, a few hundred metres away from Tahlee, boasted of being the first planned company town in Australia with a population of more than 500 souls and a school for 50 children.

The original Carrington village initially had a 26 man military barracks made of brick, a row of 11 substantial cottages, a surgery, a permanent shearing shed, a butcher shop, offices, workshops, a brick kiln, a timber yard, a jail and two wharves (Scanlon, 2008).

Over the next two years, Dawson explored the estate, naming many features after the company's directors or places of fine wool production in England. The village at No.2 Farm took its name, Stroud, from the Gloucestershire town renowned for its manufacture of scarlet cloth; the Barrington River (and Barrington Tops) in honour of Dawson's previous employer, Lord Barrington.

By the end of 1826 a chain of company sheep stations stretched from Carrington in the south to the Gloucester River in the north. Dawson had purchased flocks of colonial ewes and overseen the first shearing, dispatching the wool to England. He had also made arrangements to survey the entire land grant (Pemberton, 2009, 56-7).

Tahlee Estate was occupied by the AACo. in 1826 as their (first) headquarters. It was the first point of European settlement in the district, and there was extensive contact with the local Aboriginal people.

The Commissioner's house was built on the site, and workers housing was built in the nearby village of Carrington. The workers included convict and free workers (Integrated Design Associates, 1999). The 172 acre estate had few owners and has been left largely intact (Scanlon, 2008).

All appeared to be going well but difficulties gradually arose between Dawson and the Colonial Committee which led to Dawson's dismissal in April 1828. John Macarthur took over for a few months before abruptly returning to Sydney, leaving everything in the capable but inexperienced young accountant, Edward Ebsworth.

Meanwhile in London, the Colonial Office had approached the directors with a proposal that the company should take over the coal mining operations at Newcastle and, after lengthy discussions, the company agreed. John Henderson was appointed colliery manager and arrived in Australia in January 1827 with mechanics, labourers and equipment, 230 sheep and 3 horses. He spent nearly a year prospecting for coal around Newcastle, at Port Stephens and along the Parramatta River, concluding that without the Newcastle coalfield, the company had no mining prospects, but Governor Darling was loathe to give it up.

Dawson's dismissal, Henderson's return to England and rumours that the Port Stephens estate in its entirety was unsuitable for their purposes all came as a shock to the directors. As far as the coal venture was concerned, they were prepared to abandon the project provided the Colonial Office paid compensation. After much negotiation, however, it was agreed in June 1828 that the Governor would be instructed to hand over the coalfields, together with a land grant at Newcastle, and that Henderson would return to the colony as colliery manager. By way of compensation the company was granted a 32 year monopoly on coal mining in New South Wales.

At this point the directors decided to dispense with the Colonial Committee and send out a commissioner to manage their affairs. Early in 1829 they appointed Captain Edward Parry RN, Hydrographer Royal who, along with John Franklin, had recently been knighted for services to Arctic exploration in their search for the North West Passage. Sir Edward and Lady Parry sailed in the "William", reaching Sydney two days before Christmas 1829.

Parry set about restoring order at the neglected Port Stephens settlement and assessing the estate there and a possible exchange of land. The next two years were taken up with exploration to the north and west beyond the Dividing Range. In February 1831 Parry visited Governor Darling to negotiate the exchange of the north-eastern part of the Port Stephens estate (north from Bulahdelah) for two blocks of roughly 250,000 acres each - one on the Liverpool Plains (Warrah) and the other on the Peel River (Goonoo Goonoo).

Parry also oversaw the formation of the colliery at Newcastle. Henderson had surveyed and rejected the government mines, so after putting down test boreholes on the hill and Government Reserve to the west of the town, Parry finally chose a site for the first pit that enabled the use of an inclined plane railway to take the coal skips to the company's wharf on the Hunter River. Work at the mine began on 14/1/1832. The promised land grant of 2000 acres was marked out - now covered by Newcastle's suburbs of Cook's Hill and Hamilton.

Sir Edward Parry in May 1832 was plunged into grief due to the death of his beloved and revered mother, which he learned of through Sydney newspapers (Thomson, 1986, 28).

Lady Parry had been a Miss Stanley, a member of the titled Stanley family of Alderley in Cheshire. The residence of the commissioner and his lady on the shores of Port Stephens became a social centre for the district, as well as an administrative centre for the A.A.Company. The house, 'Tahlee', still evokes some of the charm, comfort and agreeable atmosphere it must have possessed when inhabited by Parrys. Sir Edward, a deeply religious man, was not only responsible to the London company directors, but also regarded the spiritual and physical well-being of almost 500 people on the company's estate as a solemn and personal responsibility.

Surviving accounts depict Tahloee as a very happy place to live and work during the Parrys' residency. The convivial commissioner and his wife enjoyed their days here with cricket matches, dinners, balls and picnics, despite the limitations imposed by the isolation and smallness of the community. The Christian spirit that flourished at Port Stephens was in contrast to the grim restraint and bitter feelings which prevailed not very far away at Patrick's Plains, at 'Castle Forbes', the property 'Major' Mudie. Mr Ebsworth, A.A. Company's accountant, wrote that on a fine summer evening, Lady Parry played the piano, with Sir Edward accompanying her on the violin, or reading aloud in the drawing room (Thomson, 1986, 28-29).

When Parry left after his four year term, both pastoral and mining operations were well established. Port Stephens was occupied by a chain of sheep stations and the cattle were settled on the Bowman run west of Gloucester. After a first lambing in 1832 Warrah was temporarily abandoned and the sheep moved to the Peel River where a head station was set up at Calala near the river crossing (now Tamworth). The mine at Newcastle was running smoothly. The only major and continuing difficulty was the battle to obtain sufficient convict labour.

In March 1834 Captain Henry Dumaresq took over from Parry. For the most part the company prospered and in August 1834 the directors were able to announce their first dividend of ten shillings per share.

A track was built over the Dividing Range from Gloucester to Tamworth so that in dry years sheep could be walked from the Peel Estate to Port Stephens for washing and shearing. The head station at the Peel was moved from Calala to Goonoo Goonoo, away from the ever-increasing numbers of often-scabby flocks travelling north to New England and the Darling Downs. By 1849 sheep numbers had reached 85,000.

Warrah was developed for fattening cattle bred at Gloucester and horses were bred as remounts for the Indian army. The company no longer needed to purchase stock - rather its annual sales at Sydney and Maitland were an increasing success. At Newcastle a second pit had been put down and annual coal sales reached a value of 10,500 pounds a year.

However with the end of convict transportation, labour problems became acute and constant requests were made to London for shepherds and coal miners.

Dumaresq died suddenly in March 1838 and the directors appointed Captain Phillip Parker King (son of Governor Philip Gidley King) in his place. King came to office just as the depression, triggered in part by the collapse of the London wool market in 1836, began to bite. This was also a time of drought, followed by major floods.

An attempt to introduce 100 young Irish labourers in 1840/1 to relieve the labour shortage ended badly. Only a third actually reached Port Stephens and all refused to shepherd, being unaccustomed to such work and terrified of being lost in the bush.

Other smaller groups of shepherds, labourers and miners sent out from Britain were more successful. The company's agent took to meeting emigrant ships in Sydney and recruited several newly arrived families who settled in Port Stephens. By the end of the 1840s, of the 326 men employed in the company's pastoral operations, none were convicts and only 33 were ticket-of-leave men. By 1849 all 89 miners at the colliery were free men.

During King's term as commissioner, there were constant agitations against the company's coal monopoly. Various prospecting groups proposed coal mines at Westernport in Victoria, the Illawarra in Sydney and at Moreton Bay. Closer to Newcastle were the Ebenezer mine at Lake Macquarie, works near Maitland, at Four Mile near Hexham and a proposal to mine coal at Burwood on the company's southern boundary.

King appealed for support against this opposition, both to the NSW Government and to the directors who approached the Colonial Office. At this point the question of the monopoly became entangled with the company's efforts to obtain its title deeds.

At no time had the numbers of convicts actually assigned to the company come anywhere near the numbers envisaged in the charter so that at best, it seemed that the company would be able to redeem only 300,000 of its one million acres.

In London it was decided that, as the convict situation in NSW was now so different, an amending Act of Parliament was needed to free the company's pastoral lands from the restriction of the charter. The new Act received Royal assent on 7/8/1846.

There now remained the question of the coal lands at Newcastle. Here it was agreed that, while the company had kept its side of the bargain, raising more than 3000 tons of coal annually, the NSW Government had not, neither supplying convict labour as agreed nor defending the company's position. Consequently in return for an early end to its coal mining monopoly, the company received its freehold title at Newcastle.

Anticipating a tide of emigration to NSW, the directors planned to sell part of the land. King recommended that the Liverpool Plains Grant should be sold in five sections, followed by the Peel Grant and the Port Stephens Grant, in three sections each. If the large blocks could not be sold, each section should be sold in lots by auction with the reserve price not more than that of the Government - five shillings an acre. Port Stephens, he added, was not generally suited for small-scale agriculture.

This was a shock. The directors had not contemplated a complete sale of their land and stock, and they would be embarrassed to tell shareholders that, after 25 years, they were unlikely to recover their capital. In February 1849 King was called to London to discuss the matter.

Meanwhile the directors were negotiating with James Ralfe, formerly a government surveyor familiar with the Port Stephens area. Ralfe had recommended a private emigration scheme offering homestead lots for selection. A prospectus for 'The Port Stephens Colony' appeared in January 1849: the land would be sold at the fixed price of one pound per acre in lots of not less than 200 (later reduced to 50) acres with reasonable water frontage and the right to depasture stock on company land. The company would charter a ship direct for Port Stephens with free passage for those who paid for their land in London.

On arrival in London, King took a dim view of Ralfe's plan. Only a few isolated spots in Port Stephens were suitable for settlers and their activities would be ruinous for any continuing pastoral operations there. Despite King's objections, the directors were persuaded by Ralfe's enthusiasm, appointing him as agent and surveyor to go out with the settlers on the chartered "Artemesia". As it turned out, only 8 colonists signed up and embarked with their families and just 24 selection certificates were issued.

Local auction sales of lots were more successful and half-acre town lots and a few farms were sold in south Tamworth, at Carrington and around Stroud. In these drastically changed circumstances, the directors decided to replace the commissioner with a less well-paid general superintendent, combine management positions and halve the number of overseers.

Then in March 1852, Thomas Renwick and Thomas Laurie, sons of long-time company employees, and both just returned from the Californian gold fields, found gold on the banks of the Peel River. In London the company's share price soared from 15 pounds to 350 pounds in a few weeks before dropping back to 280. Unable to work gold under their charter, the directors formed the Peel River Land & Mineral Company to purchase and work the Peel Estate (Goonoo Goonoo).

The Peel Company, with King as general superintendent, would raise sheep and some cattle, and lease its goldfield to the Cordillera Mining Company, which would dispatch miners and machinery from England.

The venture was a disaster. The "Tory" carrying the expedition was wrecked at Anna Bay, south of Port Stephens. All but one of the people were saved, but the machinery was lost. Other attempts to work minerals were equally unsuccessful.

The AACo. retained Port Stephens, Warrah and the coalmines at Newcastle. Although the fine wool produced at Port Stephens brought excellent prices on the London market, all was not well with the sheep. At Port Stephens mortality figures rose and lambing percentages fell, while sheep from the same flocks thrived on the Peel Estate.

The Port Stephens district finally proved too wet underfoot for the early sheep flocks, and the AACo. acquired better land in the Peel Valley in 1854 (Scanlon, 2008). The AACo. headquarters was moved to Stroud in 1853 and the Estate was sold (Integrated Design Associates, 1999) to a Sydney stockbroker and investor, Robert Hoddley Driberg White (RHD White)(Scanlon, 2008).

In 1854 the directors decided to sell all the Port Stephens sheep, and by 1856 they were gone. Cattle breeding continued at Port Stephens and land sales were promoted around Stroud (Pemberton, 2009, 57-60).

Between 1857 and 1880 the Manton family owned the property which was extensively used for grazing, and in 1860 the house was largely destroyed by a fire.

In 1880 the property was purchased by RHD White, Member of Parliament for Gloucester and substantially developed as a gentleman's country residence (Integrated Design Associates, 1999). The present Tahlee House, dating from 1880, may be the fourth house on the site. The estate only revitalised from 1880 when RHD White set about expanding his landholdings and creating a new gentleman's residence on Tahlee's old home ruins.

Here there was a family connection dating back to the 1830s. White's father, James White, had been the AACo.'s stock master at Port Stephens. The colourful RHD White, owner of two private steam yachts, became the member for Gloucester and rebuilt Tahlee House to hold lavish parties.

Guests arrived by yacht, landing below the home at a convict-built Cornish boat harbour. They were then taken by horse drawn tram up the hillside through magnificent botanical gardens. There were summer houses and bird aviaries with 12 gardeners to look after the terraced gardens, luxuriant with towering New Zealand kauri trees (Agathis australis), Japanese elms (Zelkova serrata), hoop pines (Araucaria cunninghamii), African olives (Olea europaea var.africana) and bamboo thickets.

White added a large lounge room to entertain the Sydney social set, plus in about 1890 built a separate billiard room (now a chapel) and ballroom capable of seating about 300 people. What is seen today is largely the legacy of White's ownership while the boat harbour, wine cellar and servants' quarters to the rear of the main house recall the AACo. tenure.

In 1943 a group calling itself the Gospel Fishermen Mission moved across the Port Stephens waterway from Tanilba Bay to lease the Tahlee site (Scanlon, 2008).

In 1949 the property was leased to the Gospel Fishermen Mission as a camp Centre, and purchased by them in 1959 (for 5000 pounds, from A.B.S.White, who had inherited it from his father, RHD White (Scanlon, 2008)) and developed as a bible college.

In 1964 several structures were relocated from the Greta and Singleton migrant camps to the site for use as residential accommodation (Integrated Design Associates, 1999).

Now known as Tahlee Ministries Inc., visiting is possible by prior arrangement. The AACo.remains in operation. It is claimed to be the world's largest producer of beef cattle and the second largest private landowner in Australia, particularly in outback Queensland. (Scanlon, 2008).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
1. Environment-Tracing the evolution of a continent's special environments Environment - naturally evolved-Activities associated with the physical surroundings that support human life and influence or shape human cultures. Cultural - Coasts and coastal features supporting human activities-
2. Peopling-Peopling the continent Aboriginal cultures and interactions with other cultures-Activities associated with maintaining, developing, experiencing and remembering Aboriginal cultural identities and practices, past and present. (none)-
2. Peopling-Peopling the continent Convict-Activities relating to incarceration, transport, reform, accommodation and working during the convict period in NSW (1788-1850) - does not include activities associated with the conviction of persons in NSW that are unrelated to the imperial 'convict system': use the theme of Law & Order for such activities Working on private assignment-
2. Peopling-Peopling the continent Ethnic influences-Activities associated with common cultural traditions and peoples of shared descent, and with exchanges between such traditions and peoples. Irish migrants-
2. Peopling-Peopling the continent Ethnic influences-Activities associated with common cultural traditions and peoples of shared descent, and with exchanges between such traditions and peoples. English farm labourers-
2. Peopling-Peopling the continent Migration-Activities and processes associated with the resettling of people from one place to another (international, interstate, intrastate) and the impacts of such movements (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Experimenting with new crops and methods-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Clearing land for farming-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Associations with the Australian Agricultural Company, estd.1824-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Pastoralism - grazing sheep, cattle, goats or other animals-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Farming by convict emancipists-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Improving agricultural production-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Farming with convict labour-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Environment - cultural landscape-Activities associated with the interactions between humans, human societies and the shaping of their physical surroundings Landscapes of industrial production-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Environment - cultural landscape-Activities associated with the interactions between humans, human societies and the shaping of their physical surroundings Landscapes of food production-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Environment - cultural landscape-Activities associated with the interactions between humans, human societies and the shaping of their physical surroundings Landscapes and gardens of domestic accommodation-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Housing for farm and station hands-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Changing land uses - from rural to suburban-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Granting Crown lands for private farming-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Planned towns serving a specific industry-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Role of transport in settlement-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Developing private towns-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Vernacular towns serving a specific industry-
6. Educating-Educating Education-Activities associated with teaching and learning by children and adults, formally and informally. (none)-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship (none)-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups (none)-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Governor Ralph Darling and Eliza Darling, 1826-1830-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with James Macarthur, settler, farmer-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with James Bowman, principal colonial surgeon-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Robert Dawson, Director Australian Agricultural Company, pioneer pastoral and agricultural company-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Hannibal Macarthur, grazier-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Sir Edward Parry, sailer, AA.Co.Commissioner-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Captain Henry Dumaresq, AA.Co.Commissioner-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Captain Phillip Gidley King, AA.Co.Commissioner-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Settlement site of the Australian Agricultural Company, a key export company in the early economy of NSW. Settlement of areas of Gloucester and Manning districts and Peel River was initiated from this site by its occupants Robert Dawson, Sir Edward Parry and Colonel Dumaresq. It is a significant area of pre-European human occupation. This is the site of an early positive encounter and treaty with local Aboriginal peoples. Documentation by occupants of the site including Robert Dawson and James Ebsworth of the Gringai people contributes to an understanding of a racial group that formerly inhabited the area. The Estate has association with a number of prominent people who have contributed to Australian and NSW history including John Macarthur, Sir Edward Parry, Colonel Dumaresq, Phillip King, RHD White. The Estate itself contributed to their role in history and reflects their past presence (Integrated Design Associates 1999).
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The aesthetic tastes of the occupants of the site are reflected in the orientation of the house and the gardens toward the views and the period design styles reflected in the buildings and gardens. Enjoyment of the site is reflected in the remains of recreational pursuits of boating, terraced gardens and bathing. The Estate has been the subject of a number of prominent artists and others including Augustus Earle and Conrad Martens (Integrated Design Associates 1999).
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The Estate is valued by the State, regional and local community as the site of settlement of the AA Co. and the residence of a prominent local figure and politician RHD White. The Estate is also valued by the Protestant Christian communities of NSW, and the Newcastle region in its association with a number of Protestant figures in NSW history including Sir Edward and Lady Parry, Reverend Cowper, the King family, and the Gospel Fishermen Mission. This value is reflected in the continued use of the property as a Bible College (Integrated Design Associated 1999).
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
This is a significant site of European settlement from 1826 with sufficient ruins and documentation remaining to enable the pattern of settlement to be determined. The marine focus of the site including the boat harbour and observatory reflects a way of life which depended upon sea transport. Evidence of continued use of the site for 164 years enables former ways of life, the stages of settlement, early and late Victorian use of the site to be understood. The Observatory reflects the exploratory and scientific interests of Phillip King as well as reflecting the level of boating activity in the port in the 19th century. A high level of horticultural interest and technical excellence is reflected in the terraced gardens. The grazing land of Lot 340 reflects the former use of the shoreland of Port Stephens for extensive gazing, a use no longer prominent (Integrated Design Associates 1999).
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The site is a rare intact record of 164 years of European development - the gardens are very rare for their intactness and composition.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The Estate is representative of the work of the A.A.Co. in NSW
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

archaeological survey of European & Indigenous sites; further historical study of Aboriginal involvement with the site.

Recommendations

Management CategoryDescriptionDate Updated
Recommended ManagementReview a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) 
Recommended ManagementPrepare a maintenance schedule or guidelines 
Recommended ManagementCarry out interpretation, promotion and/or education 

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act Record converted from HIS events


Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
The maintenance of any building or item on the site where maintenance means the continuous care of existing fabric.
May 22 1987
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act Building and Garden maintenance


Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
(1) The maintenance of any building or item on the site where maintenance means the continuous protective care of existing material;
(2) Garden maintenance including cultivation, pruning, weed control, the repair and maintenance of existing fences, gates, garden walls and tree surgery but not extensive lopping;
(3) Change of use.
May 20 1988
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act

Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1): *Any work to the interiors or to the external wall and roof surfaces (but not including the construction of extensions or additions) of the houses and structures indicated on the attached plan entitled Master Layout Plan Drawing No. M.O.1 dated December 1985 prepared by the applicant by the following numbers:
Nos. 2-11 inclusive No. 5A
" 12-17 " " 11A
" 24-28 " " 19
" 30-31 " " 38A
" 33-35 " " 14A
" 37-39 " " 33A
" 42-47 " " 33B
Jan 11 1991
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementConservation Plan 2 copies of CMP stamped, I to file, I returned to owner Dec 23 1999
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0056902 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0056920 May 88 882784
Local Environmental Plan  19 Nov 99 130 
National Trust of Australia register  1644-622 Nov 76   
Register of the National Estate 1445-721 Mar 78   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
TourismAttraction Homepage2007Tahlee Bible College View detail
WrittenBarkley, D Historic Tahlee
WrittenGregson, J1907The Australian Agricultural Company 1824-1875
WrittenIntegrated Design Associates1999Conservation management plan, homestead curtilage and gardens Tahlee House, Port Stephens NSW
Management PlanIntegrated Design Associates with David Hazeldine1999Conservation & Management Plan, Tahlee House homestead curtilage and gardens
WrittenKelshaw, C1976A Place Called Tahlee
WrittenMargaret Fallon1999NSW State Heritage Inventory Form
WrittenPemberton, Pennie, Dr.2009The Australian Agricultural Company: Pioneers of Wealth
WrittenStroud Shire Council1970Stroud and the A.A. Co.
WrittenThomson, M.H.H.1986William Woolls - a man of Parramatta
WrittenTurner, J., & Bairstow, D1981Carrington Port Stephens - Report to the Heritage Council of NSW

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045419
File number: S90/03522,H98/00375,13/12685


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.