Heritage

Waverley Reservoir No.1 (WS 0132)

Item details

Name of item: Waverley Reservoir No.1 (WS 0132)
Other name/s: WS132
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Utilities - Water
Category: Water Supply Reservoir/ Dam
Location: Lat: -33.8947016533 Long: 151.2564495830
Primary address: Paul Street, Waverley, NSW 2024
Local govt. area: Waverley
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT1 DP1035985
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Paul StreetWaverleyWaverley  Primary Address
Bondi RoadWaverleyWaverley  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Sydney WaterState Government27 Nov 98

Statement of significance:

The group of four reservoirs at Waverley demonstrates the progressive development of different construction techniques for reservoirs, the rapid growth of demand in the Sydney suburbs, and the need for greater elevation in order to connect reticulation mains to the higher suburban areas. Waverley Reservoir No.1 (Covered) (WS 132) is the last of four reservoirs, three of which are still in service and owned by SWC, associated with the Botany Swamps Scheme, 1858-1886. All covered reservoirs are highly significant within the SWC system, since all differ in construction technology, design and architectural detailing. All therefore contribute to our understanding of the development of covered reservoirs in NSW.
Date significance updated: 09 Jun 05
Note: There are incomplete details for a number of items listed in NSW. The Heritage Branch intends to develop or upgrade statements of significance and other information for these items as resources become available.

Description

Designer/Maker: PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
Builder/Maker: PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
Physical description: Waverley Reservoir No.1 (WS 132) is a circular concrete covered reservoir. It has a concrete floor and walls, though from the surface the upper part of the walls appear to be constructed of brick with a sandstone coping. The roof is covered with fill and grassed over. The cast iron ventilation caps and access chamber cover form a single line across the diameter of the roof and have given the reservoir its nickname of "Stonehenge". The cast iron ventilation caps are used on a number of other reservoirs, including Randwick Reservoir (WS 101) and Petersham Reservoir (WS 89). The recreational and open space usage of the roof of the reservoir is a historical and important feature of most covered reservoirs.
Modifications and dates: Reservoir is in service and in good condition.
Further information: National Trust (NSW) Listing Card, May 1986., Aird.W.V.1961., The Water Supply, Sewerage and Drainage of Sydney., Metropolitan Board of Water Supply and Sewerage.1913., Official Handbook., Miller.S.P.1961., Eastern suburbs water supply.Sydney Water Board Journal. July.,
Current use: water reservoir
Former use: water reservoir

History

Historical notes: Waverley:
Waverley took its name from the title of a book by the famous Scottish author and poet, Sir Walter Scott. Its connection with the suburb of Waverley comes through Barnet Levey (or Levy, 1798-1837) who came to Sydney in the 1820s to visit his brother. When he saw how prosperous the city was becoming, Levey decided to settle here and set up a business as a general merchant. In 1831 he was granted 60 acres in the area bounded by the present Old South Head Road, Birrell Street, Paul Street and Hollywood Avenue. He must have occupied the land before the official grant because he built himself a substantial two story home on Old South Head Road in 1827, naming it Waverley House after the book by his favourite author. As time passed the house became a distinctive landmark and gave its name to the surrounding district, which was simply called Waverley. Levey established Sydney's first permanent theatre behind his shop in George Street. His projects consumed all his money, and when he died in 1837 he left a widow and four children in poverty. In 1837 the house was taken over for a Catholic school or orphanage, but it was demolished early in the 20th century.

Waverley municipality was proclaimed in 1859. By the 1880s trams were running to the beaches in the Eastern Suburbs and Waverley became a popular picnic spot. Waverley Park had a splendid oval, used by the established Waverley District Cricket Club.

Waverley Cemetery was established in 1877 on the site of the old tram terminus, on a beautiful site near the ocean. It houses many historically notable people.

The 1866 NSW Gazetteer described Waverley as having Clough's Windmill, Allan's Soap Works, Dickson's Soap and Candle Works and Scott's Blacking and Fireworks Factory. There were also four quarries producing excellent freestone. Today however, it is an attractive residential suburb, just west of Tamarama Beach (Pollen & Healy, 1988, 266-7)

Waverley Reservoir:
Waverley Reservoir (Covered), nicknamed "Stonehenge" (WS 132), completed in 1887, was the last of four reservoirs built to augment the Botany Swamps Scheme (1858-1886). The other three reservoirs include: - Crown Street Reservoir (WS 34), 1859, - Paddington Reservoir, 1864 (disused and no longer owned by Sydney Water), and - Woollahra Reservoir (WS 144), 1880. However Waverley Reservoir (WS 132) was not supplied solely by Botany Swamps Water, because by 1886 the Hudson Scheme had come on line, supplying water from the Upper Nepean, prior to the completion of that Scheme in 1888. Water was pumped from Woollahra Reservoir for the first six years of its service, then from Crown Street Reservoir in 1893. From 1927 onwards Waterloo Pumping Station took over supply of the reservoir. Waverley Reservoir (WS 132) was the highest of the reservoirs intended to be supplied by Botany Swamps. However it soon became apparent that additional height was required for reticulation purposes. This led to the construction of two elevated steel tanks in 1894 (now demolished). With increasing demand, these tanks were eventually superseded by the present Waverley Reservoir (Elevated) (WS 136) and Waverley Reservoir No.2 (Covered) (WS 133), both completed in 1917. Final augmentation of supply took place in 1938 with the construction of Waverley Reservoir No.3 (WS 134). The group of four reservoirs not only supply the Eastern Suburbs by gravitation, but also supply Bellevue Hill (WS 10) by pumping station. The Waverley Reservoir Group not only demonstrates the dramatic increase in demand from 1887 through to 1938, but also the progression and development of reservoir construction techniques, rarely seen on any other SWC site.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Environment - cultural landscape-Activities associated with the interactions between humans, human societies and the shaping of their physical surroundings Developing local, regional and national economies-National Theme 3
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Changing land uses - from rural to suburban-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages 20th Century infrastructure-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages 19th Century Infrastructure-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Utilities-Activities associated with the provision of services, especially on a communal basis Providing drinking water-
7. Governing-Governing Government and Administration-Activities associated with the governance of local areas, regions, the State and the nation, and the administration of public programs - includes both principled and corrupt activities. State government-
7. Governing-Governing Government and Administration-Activities associated with the governance of local areas, regions, the State and the nation, and the administration of public programs - includes both principled and corrupt activities. Building and operating public infrastructure-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Waverley Reservoir No.1 (Covered) (WS 132) is the last of three reservoirs, still in service, associated with the Botany Swamps Scheme, 1858-1886. This reservoir and site demonstrates particularly well the amplification in demand due to growing population.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The recreational and open space usage of the roof of the reservoir is a historical and important feature of this and most other covered reservoirs.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The group of four reservoirs at Waverley demonstrates the progressive development of different construction techniques for reservoir and the need for greater elevation in order to connect reticulation mains to the higher suburban areas. All covered reservoirs are highly significant within the SWC system, since all differ in construction technology, design and architectural detailing. All therefore contribute to our understanding of the development of covered reservoirs in NSW.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
One of a small group of large covered reservoirs in brick or concrete in the SWC system, each demonstrating differences in construction, design and architectural detailing. It is one of only four reservoirs associated with the Botany Swamps Supply.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementWaverley Reservoirs Site CMP, by Sydney Water for Sydney, dated October 2004 CMP received for review and endorsement 27 October 2005  
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0135318 Nov 99   
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register 125126   
National Trust of Australia register      

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Sydney Water Heritage Study1996125126Graham Brooks and Associates Pty LtdGRAHAM BROOKS AND ASSOCIATES PTY LTD 1 July 1996 Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5051455


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Branch or respective copyright owners.