Double ended wooden ferry, 33.6m long, 7.6m wide (110.4 x 25.0 x 9.0 feet), displacing 96 gross tons. 2 decks, engine room in hull. Hull built by Joseph Dent at Huskisson, NSW for the Balmain New Ferry Co. Ltd. Originally a steam ship. Current configuration with1962 Crossley diesel engine driving a single "push-pull" screw. Main deck orginally featured men's and woman's saloons. Fitted with lavatories & wooden batten seats. Wheel houses at either end. Spotted gum used extensively. Ferry is now out of the water, mounted in a display well at the Lady Denman Heritage Complex, Huskisson to which it was donated by the NSW Government in 1979. (Prescott 1984; Oliver 1998)
Originally fitted with 2 cylinder 38 hp compound steam engine built by Chapman and Co. Ltd. and tall funnel.
1936 - Fitted with 228 bhp 6 cylinder diesel engine built by L. Gardner and Sons Ltd. and short funnel.
1962 - Fitted with 300 bhp 4 cylinder diesel engine built by Crossley Brothers.
Sundry modifications to seating, upper deck exits etc, dates unknown - during working life of ferry
1990s - part of engine removed to facilitate relocation. Parts held at LDHC near ferry. (Prescott 1984)
Physical Condition is good as a result of recent conservation work, arresting a long period of deterioration. Machinery removed for separate display.
The Lady Denman was built in Huskisson in 1911 for the Balmain New Ferry Co. Ltd. (subsequently taken over by Sydney Ferries Ltd.) by Joseph Dent, and named after the wife of the then Governor General. The hull was built in Huskisson from local timber, launched then floated to Sydney where machinery was installed and upperworks completed.
1912 - 1936 Lane Cove River run
War years - Cockatoo Island run
End of war to 1979 - Inner Harbour runs, including Taronga Park Zoo, Milsons Point, Cremorne, Hunter's Hill
1979 - Given by Ministry of Transport to Huskisson citizens
1981 - Transported to Jervis Bay
1983 - Moved to Lady Denman Park, Huskisson
1988 - Lady Denman Heritage Complex opened around the Ferry.
The ferry was designed by Walter Reeks, an innovative Sydney naval architect known for his pioneering designs in double-ended propulsion.
(Oliver 1998; Prescott 1984)