A single-storey, sandstone house, built in 1884. Set in fine gardens with landscaped terraces down to the River. Has bay window and corner verandah, bearing bellcast iron roof, supported on cast iron columns with lace brackets. Main hipped roof is of slate. Windows and French doors have shutters which are not original. There is an attractive rear courtyard, walled with sandstone in the 1960s, and with its original well. The verandahs feature tessellated tiles - probably Minton pattern (bought from the Sydney Arcade which was being demolished in the 1960s).
1940s - Door cut between present kitchen and musuem room (then breakfast room).
1960s - Garage, laundry and couryard wall built from sandstone transferred from the demolition of Amalfi, a Longueville mansion. Amalfi's fine picket iron fence and stone gate posts added. Verandahs tiled. Shutters added. Considerable landscaping.
1969/70 - Further restoration and sympathetic renovation of the interior.
1835 - A land grant by purchase of 20 acres to John Clarke, including present Carisbrook site.
1836 - Purchased by Richard Linley who installed a rope-making plant (Lenehan, 1887, pg39, LTO Papers)
1860 - Several owners until Rachel Martha and Thomas Brooks moved into a weatherboard cottage on the site after their marriage in 1860 (Lenehan, Op cit, LTO Papers)
1884 - After the death of Thomas and Rachel in 1883, the son of the former Charles Phillips Brooks, built the stone residence called Carisbrook. Retaining a curtilage of land around the house and stretching down to Burns Bay, he subdivided the remainder of the land in 1885 as the Carisbrook Estate. After residing in it for only a year, the house was let to a number of tenants by Brooks, and by its successor owner, W Bradley. (LCMC Rate Books)
1920 - When acquired by Estate Agent, James Warr, in 1920, the land around the house was divided into six blocks. The house was let throughout Warr's ownership and until sold to Harry Thorne, a law clerk, and his wife Lucie, in 1940. It became their family residence for seventeen years. (Elliott)
1957 - It was sold to a milliner, James Kitchener McDougall, who lived in it with his companion. Appreciating its heritage potential, he upgraded and gentrified the house, and particularly the gardens.
1966 - Prior to its purchase by Lane Cove Council in 1969 it was owned by the neighbouring manufacturing firm, Tuta Products, and served as its office and staff residence.
1969 - Carisbrook was purchased and restored by Lane Cove Council in 1969 to mark its 75th Anniversary. Furnished by Lave Cove Historical Society, it has operated as a house and local history museum until the present.
In 1980 Lane Cove Council sought a Permanent Conservation Order for Carisbrook. In view of its heritage significance a Permanent Conservation Order was gazetted oover Carisbrook on 26 June 1981.