Nearly eight out of 10 dishwashers sold in New South Wales have three or more energy-rating stars. People who buy them are making the most of their money. Are you?
The most efficient dishwashers use half the water of average models, so you save on your water and power bills.
- Every extra energy star cuts running costs by up to 30 per cent.
- A dishwasher rated with four stars can cost up to $770 less to run compared with a two-star rated model.~
- Compare models with the same star ratings by looking at the energy and water consumption numbers on the label.
- The more stars, the more money you save.
|Energy star rating||Annual cost ~
~ Based on 32 cents/kWh. Running costs estimated on current electricity rates and machine being used once per day for 10 years.
Stop wasting money on excessive running costs
Running costs can exceed the purchase price of some electrical appliances, so don’t waste money buying models that are not energy-efficient. Use the Energy Rating Calculator to compare before you buy.
- Buy a dishwasher with at least 3½ energy stars and 3½ water stars.
- Choose a unit with options such as half-loads and economy wash.
- Smaller households can save space, money and resources by buying a slimline or single drawer dishwasher.
- If you have a time-of-use electricity tariff, look for models with a delay-start option and run the dishwasher during low cost periods.
- If you have a gas hot water system, dual hot and cold water connections will allow your dishwasher to draw in water that is already heated, preventing you from wasting money and power.
For more household efficiency ideas, view our Money Saving Tips page.
What would you like to do next?
Page last updated: 29 January 2016