Check the energy rating label and consider these power smart tips when buying a new washing machine:
- buy a machine that has at least a five-star energy rating.
- front-loading washing machines generally use less water and consume less power than top-loading models
- cold-water washing is far more energy efficient, so look for cold water and eco or economy wash cycles (or if not possible, one with the lowest water temperature setting)
- consider load and wash capacity, choose a machine with variable water levels to reduce the amount of water used and the length of the wash cycle, when you're not washing a full load
- a suds saver option can also help save water, especially in top loading models.