How do I get a licence for carrying out research into protected flora and fauna?

Find information, links and guidelines about conducting research into protected flora and fauna within the NPWS reserve system.

Licences can cover such areas as:

  • research
  • ecological survey/consultancy
  • biodiversity assessment/ species impact statement assessments
  • translocations/reintroductions
  • a project for experimental introduction, reintroduction or supplementation of a species
  • bush regeneration
  • seed collection
  • ecological burns
  • bird or bat banding
  • education.

Are you aware of upcoming changes to wildlife licensing?

The Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 is scheduled to commence from 25 August 2017.

Existing wildlife licence classes, conditions and fees will remain in place after the Act begins.

Proposed changes to wildlife licensing under the new Act will be exhibited for public comment in the second half of 2017. These changes are expected to be taken up during 2018.

Learn more about the wildlife licensing reforms.