Under its legislation, the Trust is required to provide minimum annual allocations for grants programs in the following areas:
- Environmental Restoration and Rehabilitation Program for community organizations: $1 million
- Environmental Education Program for community organizations: $500,000
- Environmental Research Program for community organisations, universities and research institutes: $1 million.
In 2003–04, in addition to the statutory programs, the Trust offered three other grants programs:
- Restoration and Rehabilitation Program for local government: $1.5 million.
- Eco Schools Program: $120,000. The Trust has agreed to ongoing funding of this program.
- Protecting Our Places program: $500,000. See the Aboriginal Affairs Priority Statement for further details.