This Plan authorises the use of water for environmental purposes that:
- contribute to maintaining the ecological character of the Gwydir Wetlands including the Ramsar sites associated with the Gingham and Lower Gwydir (Big Leather) Watercourses,
- contribute to the successful completion of colonial waterbird breeding in the Gwydir Wetlands,
- alleviate severe unnaturally prolonged drought conditions in the Gwydir Wetlands,
- enhance opportunities for native fish recruitment and dispersal in the Gwydir River, its distributaries and the Gwydir Wetlands,
- increase flooding frequencies to small wetlands isolated by current floodplain structures, such as Whittaker’s Lagoon,
- achieve other ecological benefits as recommended by the Environmental Contingency Allowance Operations Advisory Committee established under Part 3, Clause 15, sub-clauses (g) and (h) of the Water Sharing Plan for the Gwydir Regulated Rivers Water Source 2002.