The areas shown in pink and/purple are the sub-regions where the species or community is known or predicted to occur. They may not occur thoughout the sub-region but may be restricted to certain areas.
( click here
to see geographic restrictions).
The information presented in this map is only indicative and may contain errors and omissions.
Scientific name: Correa lawrenceana var. genoensis
13 Dec 2002
Profile last updated:
07 Sep 2012
The Genoa River Correa is a shrub to 2 m tall. Its oval-shaped leaves, 3 - 6 cm long, and to 4 cm wide, have a covering of thick, brown hairs on the undersides. It has yellowish-green tubular flowers that often become red with age.
The Genoa River Correa has only been recorded along the Genoa River and its tributaries in the vicinity of the Victorian border (South East Forests National Park). There is only one population known in NSW.
Habitat and ecology
- Found in riparian vegetation (tall open forest) dominated by Monkey Gum (Eucalyptus cypellocarpa) and Hazel Pomaderris (Pomaderris aspera).
Regional distribution and habitat
Click on a region below to view detailed distribution, habitat and vegetation information.
- Inappropriate burning regimes.
- At risk from catastrophic events (e.g. fire and flood) because of small number of extant populations and low number of plants.
A targeted strategy for managing this species has been developed under the Saving Our Species program; click here
for details. For more information on the Saving Our Species program click here
Activities to assist this species
- Consider seed collection for the establishment of new populations.
- Until the fire ecology of the species is better understood, prescribed burning should not be conducted in the single known site of this species in NSW.
- Protect all known populations.
- Regularly monitoring population numbers.
- More research is needed into the ecological needs of this species, to develop a fire management plan for the population.
- Carter, O. and Walsh, N. (2010) National Recovery Plan for the Genoa River Correa Correa lawrenceana variety genoensis. (Department of Sustainability and Environment, Melbourne)
- NSW Scientific Committee (2002) Correa lawrenciana var. genoensis (a shrub) - Endangered species determination - final.
- Othman, R.N.A., Jordan, G.J. and Duretto, M.F. (2013) Morphometric analysis of Correa lawrenceana (Rutaceae) and the reinstatement of var. ferruginea endemic to Tasmania. Australian Systematic Botany 26(4): 255-267
- Walsh, N.G. and Entwisle, T.J. (1999) Flora of Victoria; Volume 4, Dicotyledons Cornaceae to Asteraceae. (Inkata Press, Melbourne)
- Weston, P.H. and Harden, G.J. (2002) Correa. Pp 289-292 in Harden, G.J. (ed.) Flora of New South Wales. Volume 2. Revised Edition (New South Wales University Press, Sydney)
Known or predicted
Geographic restrictions region