Multi unit dwelling illegal dumping prevention campaign
Council resource kit
A council resource kit has been developed in response to the difficulties many urban councils are experiencing with illegal dumping around Multi Unit Dwellings (MUDs).
This Kit has been developed to assist NSW local council enforcement officers, education officers, community liaison officers and environmental managers to prevent and reduce the incidence of illegal dumping around MUDs. It provides a holistic framework to tackle the illegal dumping problem and can be used in whole, or in part, to suit the diversity of needs of NSW's urban councils.
To request a copy of the kit complete this form: MUDKit_RequestForm.pdf (PDF 156kb)
It's dumb because you're trashing where you live.
Dumping unwanted household items is illegal and subject to fines of up to $750. Instead of dumping, call your local council to find out about clean up days, collection services, or places to take your unwanted household materials.
The Kit contains:
Specifically tailored to preventing illegal dumping, section 1 provides the holistic framework within which a successful community program should be developed.
The foundation of this resource kit has been built upon solid social research into community attitudes and behaviours toward illegal dumping.
A flexible and easy to use eight step guide to create a new program or strengthen an existing illegal dumping program.
Each step describes the planning activity, approach and ideas about designing a strategic program.
At each step there is:
- an explanation of the purpose of the step
- 'how to…' questions to address
- some common mistakes to avoid
- research highlights drawn from recent research on illegal dumping in NSW and specific research on illegal dumping associated with MUDs
- more information that will help build an understanding of the context of illegal dumping
- examples from the Kogarah Council trial case study
A suite of 'Dumping. It's dumb.' campaign materials ranging from stickers and posters to electronic resources, designed to be used in new or existing illegal dumping programs.
- Press advertisements*
- Fridge postcard with magnet
- Enforcement tape
- Billboard advertisements
- Bus shelter advertisements
- Bus back advertisement
- Radio live reads**
- Media and mayoral release
- Real estate template letter
- Strata manager template letter
- Copy for websites, newsletters, newspaper editorials, flyers
* Material is provided in each of the following languages:
English, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Arabic, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean and Macedonian.
** Material is multilingual containing English and eight languages on each item.
These materials have unlocked sections where you can add:
- your council logo
- your council contact details
- information about your local clean-up days, collection services and waste disposal sites
An assessment of attitudes and behaviour amongst multi-unit dwelling residents in relation to illegal dumping
Contact: Sustainability Programs Division.
Page last updated: 11 September 2012