What you must do
To lodge a complaint you must:
- complain within six months of becoming aware that we have broken a rule in handling your information
- put your complaint in writing using the Internal review application form: Complaint or request for review of conduct (PDF 64KB) and send it to us
- supply a return address in Australia for us to reply to you.
What will it cost to lodge a complaint?
There is no cost to lodge a complaint or request an internal review under NSW privacy legislation.
What we will do
A senior department officer will look into the matter, or we will ask the Privacy Commissioner to conduct a review on our behalf. The review will be completed within 60 days.
We will then decide how to address your complaint. We may:
- take no further action
- formally apologise to you
- promise that the conduct will not happen again
- take appropriate action to fix up the problem
- take steps to prevent any more problems of this kind.
We will notify you about:
- the findings of the review
- the reasons for our finding
- any action we propose to take
- the reasons for our proposed action
- your right to have the findings, and the reasons for the findings, reviewed by the Administrative Decisions Tribunal.